• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs EL DAC II Review

bequietjk

I know this isn't the BEST place for this post but it is a concern and deciding factor in this purchase for me.

Because this unit uses VAC, I cannot use this unit with my linear power supply. In this case with using a wall wart/smps unit, and in general, will smps noise generated (assuming there is any) leak into the mains affecting other components in the receptacle circuits?

Ive read a lot of debate on smps and lps, and of course it all comes down to implementation and build to decide whether one makes mlre noise or not. Was hoping some light could be shed for my concern.

Cheers!

yavormoskov

I know this isn't the BEST place for this post but it is a concern and deciding factor in this purchase for me.

Because this unit uses VAC, I cannot use this unit with my linear power supply. In this case with using a wall wart/smps unit, and in general, will smps noise generated (assuming there is any) leak into the mains affecting other components in the receptacle circuits?

Ive read a lot of debate on smps and lps, and of course it all comes down to implementation and build to decide whether one makes mlre noise or not. Was hoping some light could be shed for my concern.

Cheers!
Amir is reviewing all of the amplifiers with their stock power supplies provided by the manufacturer. If the measurements are good you do not have to worry about the power supply.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can't use DC or switchmode supplies with this. The benefit of AC is that you can create both negative and positive voltages out of it with ease. If you go DC as in external switching or linear supply, you now have to use a switching DC to DC converter for negative voltage. That can add noise and is extra expense and board space.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 v2 with AK4493 beats 99% of AK4497 implementations out there
In fact, from the measurements already announced, I'd say 100%. And with "only" one chip.
Yes, I am aware of the AK4499 but like you said, it'll be used in the future so currently the AK4497 is latest AKM that dac manufacturer have been using:)
Nope. 4499 is already released yet. Also, the 4493 was launched after the 4497. The 4497 will be out of production, probably as the 4495 and 4490 will.

bequietjk

You can't use DC or switchmode supplies with this. The benefit of AC is that you can create both negative and positive voltages out of it with ease. If you go DC as in external switching or linear supply, you now have to use a switching DC to DC converter for negative voltage. That can add noise and is extra expense and board space.

Is there a reason there is a AC brick being used, rather than a standard AC cable?

I am hooking this up to a DVD as well as other devices. The digital coax output is not the default out . It is the toslink. I had to run a video signal to TV monitor and get into the audio settings to turn on the coax output. Now that I have done this I am trying to decide if I want PCM out or bitstream? I am guessing PCM but please advise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a reason there is a AC brick being used, rather than a standard AC cable?
Yes. Safety certifications become easier since there is no high voltage in the unit.

raif71

Major Contributor
In fact, from the measurements already announced, I'd say 100%. And with "only" one chip.

Nope. 4499 is already released yet. Also, the 4493 was launched after the 4497. The 4497 will be out of production, probably as the 4495 and 4490 will.
4493 launched after 4497, which makes the former, later than the latter? Confusing isn't it? :confused:

Swtoby

I am hooking this up to a DVD as well as other devices. The digital coax output is not the default out . It is the toslink. I had to run a video signal to TV monitor and get into the audio settings to turn on the coax output. Now that I have done this I am trying to decide if I want PCM out or bitstream? I am guessing PCM but please advise.
PCM. This dac doesn't handle Dolby Digital or DTS.

raif71

Major Contributor
It is. In short:

2014: AK4490 (Entry level)
2015: AK4495 (Entry level)
2016: AK4497 (Flagship)
2018: AK4493 (Entry level, replaces the 4490)
2019: AK4499 (Flagship, replaces the 4497).

I wonder if ESS does this sort of numbering too? the AK4493 could be labeled as AK4490a if AKM wanted to show that it replaced the AK4490 but I guess they know better (or not)

bequietjk

Thank you, amir! I'm so used to hooking up my LPS to components with DC inputs, and I've no idea how that worked. But it makes sense. IIRC, the voltage drop happens inside of the brick, then fed into the unit.

Very much considering this DAC now, especially after seeing that marvelous jitter graph. How low can ya go!?

Thanks again, ASR :]

PPP

I wonder if ESS does this sort of numbering too? the AK4493 could be labeled as AK4490a if AKM wanted to show that it replaced the AK4490 but I guess they know better (or not)
Does not make sense. They are not pin compatible. So cannot rename to4490a

I have this. I can open it up and snap a few pictures. If it is not hard to get into.

I am not comfortable with opening this. I don’t even see any screws to remove. Sorry I can report that the coax output and the toslink output sound fantastic. I tried to use the usb via a iPhone but I got this message
1574486468589.png
1574486468589.png

bequietjk

SINAD for the El Dac original using SPDIF was marked as 109! Looking back on it now...

Is it safe to say that it is either the same or even better for this second revision? Either way I'm gonna need to have at least one piece of JDS Labs gear, and what better to have the El Dac stacked atop my 789.

I have finally been able to get the usb in to work with my iPhone and not have those messages. Thanks to help from the folks at JDS.. I am impressed with the customer service because John S helped me on Saturday and Sunday to get the iPhone and DAC working together to make sweet music. I am streaming high res from tidal and I am smiling from ear to ear. Great product and wonderful customer service.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SINAD for the El Dac original using SPDIF was marked as 109! Looking back on it now...

Is it safe to say that it is either the same or even better for this second revision? Either way I'm gonna need to have at least one piece of JDS Labs gear, and what better to have the El Dac stacked atop my 789.

They make a point to mention their transformer coupled (isolated) SPDIF, so I would expect that the EDII is the same or better. Would be neat to see it measured though.

GeorgeWalk

I am not comfortable with opening this. I don’t even see any screws to remove. Sorry I can report that the coax output and the toslink output sound fantastic. I tried to use the usb via a iPhone but I got this message
View attachment 39870View attachment 39870
I have a iPhone and it can't power more than 500 milliamps. To get more power, you need to use the Apple camera adapter. It has a USB port and port to plug in a power source. It will then work with the iPhone. https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightn...+iphone+camera+adapter&qid=1575420756&sr=8-10

Top Bottom