• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Could anyone confirm that in the following setup
View attachment 132368
I would be able to control volume of the speakers via tv remote ?

Yes you are. In your setup you can set the optical output to PCM or Downmix, so an unencoded 2 channel SPDIF signal is sent out. This can be adjiusted in volume in any TV. If you have it set to surround (which makes no sense in this 2 channel setup) then TV volume control is disabled.

Xevios

Just registered there to comment about amazing customer service.
Ordered atom amp, and after few days also ordered atom dac for my verum mk2 and dt990 600ohm.
JDS answered all my questions, they also combined my package,and all that was blazing fast. Definitelly will advice them to my friends.
I'm pretty amazed about that kind of service. JDS - you made my day.

N.B. i've ordered atom dac , and they sent me dac+ with no additional fee.

PS. WIll be pretty intresting to use 8ohm headphones with 600 ohm ones, heh

PeteL

Major Contributor
I appreciate all the kind remarks and constructive feedback!

To chime in on this topic, keep in mind we've been around for 14 years and our first analyzer was a Prism dScope Series III. Analog input resolution of the dScope is a bit better than an APx525. When we released Atom Amp in 2018, I knew it measured better than our dScope, and was not concerned by how much better. We had no idea Atom Amp would render anything older than an APx525 so obsolete! Many manufactures choose to invest in the APx555 as a response.

Our APx555 is not meant as a marketing spiel. Rather, it's made my job faster and easier. Thorough D/A tests consumed about 30 minutes per run on the dScope due to manual setups and slow averaging. The APx555 runs the most valuable tests in a couple minutes automatically. So, I can ponder hardware and firmware tweaks while a trusted technician runs dozens of iterations in one afternoon. Results are saved to a shared folder of PDFs. It's incredible how quickly ideas come together with the right tools.

The race to bigger numbers has been fun. Alas, we're all so far beyond transparency today that it's time to ponder what matters in bringing more enjoyment to this hobby in the next decade.
I agree with all that and was not suggesting that Marketing is the main reason to buy a APx555, what I meant, maybe in a clumsy way, is simply, as you pointed out, that electronic design engineers have always been measuring their stuff, It's the implied subtext that products starts to perform better because compagnies started measuring, or imply that purchasing an APx555 makes greater products. As you say, You buy, or rent, an APx555 if you need one, it's the underlying association shortcut that Is debatable, that purchasing an expensive analyser is the reason the product performs better. Many compagnies owning APx555 may score poorly in some of these Benchmarks, it doesn't mean they haven't measured it, It means they took different design decisions..

Last edited:

ALex_hha

In case of Atom AMP which has only RCA - how can I connect it with JBL 306P MKII which has XLR female/TRS female balanced input ?

phoenixsong

ALex_hha

RCA Male>XLR Male/TRS Male. Alternatively, you can use a switcher like this Nobsound for example 3-IN-3-OUT XLR Balanced / RCA Stereo Converter Audio Selector Box Passive Preamp (doukaudio.com) and run a regular set of Male to Male RCA cables in from the Atom and Female to Male XLR cables out to the JBL
I would prefer to not use any additional converters

One more thing - as far as I can see JBL 305P MKII has balanced input at the same time Atom AMP has unbalanced one. Could it be a problem (additional hiss/noise) ?

phoenixsong

One more thing - as far as I can see JBL 305P MKII has balanced input at the same time Atom AMP has unbalanced one. Could it be a problem (additional hiss/noise) ?
I've actually been wondering about the same for awhile now. If there is a difference it may depend if you use TS or TRS connectors opposite the RCA end, but whether there is a difference I do not know

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I've actually been wondering about the same for awhile now. If there is a difference it may depend if you use TS or TRS connectors opposite the RCA end, but whether there is a difference I do not know
305p / 306p / 308p Mkii hiss is not related to the connection used - they hiss even when not connected to anything.....it's a constant low level hiss that is the same at all volume setting levels (using the volume knob on back of speaker), with the exception that if you turn volume to zero then the hiss stops, but then you don't get any sound out of the speaker ha! I don't mind the hiss on my 308p, I don't hear it at my listening position....your choice of balanced or unbalanced connection will not influence the level of hiss, but it will help solve ground loops.

ALex_hha

your choice of balanced or unbalanced connection will not influence the level of hiss, but it will help solve ground loops.
do you mean in case of balanced/xlr connection ?

phoenixsong

305p / 306p / 308p Mkii hiss is not related to the connection used - they hiss even when not connected to anything.....it's a constant low level hiss that is the same at all volume setting levels (using the volume knob on back of speaker), with the exception that if you turn volume to zero then the hiss stops, but then you don't get any sound out of the speaker ha! I don't mind the hiss on my 308p, I don't hear it at my listening position....your choice of balanced or unbalanced connection will not influence the level of hiss, but it will help solve ground loops.
For @ALex_hha 's Atom amp running balanced cables wouldn't help since it only has RCA unbalanced outs would it?

ALex_hha

For @ALex_hha 's Atom amp running balanced cables wouldn't help since it only has RCA unbalanced outs would it?
my question was in context of fully balanced dac, for e.g. Topping D30 Pro/Gustard X16

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, that won't help solve ground loops, and of course not the hiss "issue" as that is unrelated to balanced or unbalanced.
my question was in context of fully balanced dac, for e.g. Topping D30 Pro/Gustard X16
Running fully balanced won't solve the hiss, but will solve ground loops.

Grattle

I’d buy one just to support a great company if it had SPDIF. I use a pi streaming device and lack of coax SPDIF is unfortunately a deal breaker for me.

bboris77

I’d buy one just to support a great company if it had SPDIF. I use a pi streaming device and lack of coax SPDIF is unfortunately a deal breaker for me.

Honestly, I bought the EL DAC II/ EL AMP II combo mostly because they are a fantastic company. There’s also that great feeling knob on the EL AMP II. Yes, I know it’s on a 9mm potentiometer but it feels so precise because...physics. It’s one of those rare occasions when knob size matters ;)

My Atom DAC/AMP combo got “relegated” to the PS5 duty.

Oh, I almost forgot my point, the EL DAC II has an electrically isolated coax input to deal with ground loops.

Grattle

I’m done with rk09 based products in general. RK27 is used whenever there is room for a reason. It just sounds better. It’s the 2nd most important component in any headphone system.

bboris77

I’m done with rk09 based products in general. RK27 is used whenever there is room for a reason. It just sounds better. It’s the 2nd most important component in any headphone system.
I’m curious why you think it sounds better. I thought the only difference is better channel matching. Has anyone done any testing to figure out whether there’s any difference in frequency response and distortion performance between different pots using the same topology at identical output voltages?

Top Bottom