• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

MRC01

Major Contributor
I like DACs that tell you the sample rate of the data stream they are playing; it's a useful sanity check. Sadly, the JDS Atom DAC doesn't. But at least you can make Linux show you this. It will show you the sample rate of the current audio, the sample rate the system is using, and what resampler (if any), it is using if the rates are different.

A command like this will show you what's going on and monitor it every second:

Code:
watch -n1 "\
pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'sample spec:' -e 'channel' -e 'buffer' -e 'latency:' -e 'name:' \
; \
pacmd list-sink-inputs | grep -e 'sample spec:' -e 'resample method:' -e 'application\.name' "

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

As for the comparison with the Modi 3 with its classic Schiit aluminum case, I owned one as well, and it is a great DAC. However, it uses the micro USB connector which I did not like and it could not reject the radio interference in my particular situation (close to an airport radar) as well as the Atom DAC does so I sold it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schiit got their case to act as an antenna.

bboris77

I wouldn’t be surprised if Schiit got their case to act as an antenna.

Anyway, to be fair, it really is not a problem with the Modi 3 per se, it is the proximity of my house to the airport. At least 30% of equipment I have had in the past picked up this radio interference on the second floor of my house. If I move the equipment to the first floor, all interference goes away. I tried it in my parents' house which is in the same neighborhood, and the same happens. The worst culprit off all was the ART DJPRE II phono preamp which picked up the radar blip to the point where it could be clearly heard at regular listening volumes.

However, none of the JDS stuff had this RFI issue, even the Atom line, regardless of how loud I ran it, or how sensitive the headphones were. They obviously made some design choices to minimize this type of interference.

bboris77

It is not specific to Schiit and the type of USB connector as well:
I can hear 2.4Ghz WiFi with IEM's?
I have experienced this phenomenon when I placed my WiFi router right next to my Yamaha integrated amplifier and when I muted my speakers strangely. Only when the amplifier was fully muted or at extremely low volume level, I could hear faint popping and buzzing coming out from the speakers whenever there was any wireless activity. I reoriented the antennae on my router, and the problem went away. I eventually moved it much further away from the amplifier and all the cables.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, weren't we talking about clipping off the bottom 25% of the SINAD list at this point? I mean, if a product can't hit 100dB on that chart now, they're probably not in consideration for anyone on this site, regardless of price. It's probably time to recalibrate...

Thanks for bring this to us, as always, Amir (and JDS for that matter!).
If we knew there were no lousy ones, sure. But something tells me there are still bad implementations out there in high-end audio. :)

Weebster

They have excellent support. I have bought from them in the past. They were quick to respond to questions and they replaced a part for me even though they didn't have to. Big fan.

ALex_hha

Could anyone confirm that in the following setup
jds-labs-ps4-setup-v3.png

I would be able to control volume of the speakers via tv remote ?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could anyone confirm that in the following setup I would be able to control volume of the speakers via tv remote ?

That depends on your TV. you need to check the TV manual to see if it has volume control for external toslink speakers.

coolajami

Could anyone confirm that in the following setup
View attachment 132368
I would be able to control volume of the speakers via tv remote ?

No, the optical output volume level from most TVs is fixed and is controlled from the DAC. Most people will connect the optical to a soundbar or a audio system with its own remote control.

At best, you can mute/unmute the sound with your tv remote.

ALex_hha

At best, you can mute/unmute the sound with your tv remote.
unfortunately it would be not so comfortable.

Have I correctly understood that if I replace Atom AMP/DAC+ combo with something like Topping D30 Pro(which has remote) - I would be able to control speakers volume with Topping remote ?

coolajami

unfortunately it would be not so comfortable.

Have I correctly understood that if I replace Atom AMP/DAC+ combo with something like Topping D30 Pro(which has remote) - I would be able to control speakers volume with Topping remote ?

Yes that is correct with a Topping D30 Pro you can control the output volume with a remote and, when compared, it is more suited for TV use than the Atom Stack.

That said, the Atom DAC and the Topping D30 Pro compete in different price ranges, and while both are classed as desktop DACs, the Topping costs like 4 times the price of Atom and is to be expected that will offer more controls/connectivity.

ALex_hha

the Topping costs like 4 times the price of Atom and is to be expected that will offer more controls/connectivity.
Actually twice, Atom AMP (100$) + Atom DAC+ (110$) = 210$ vs Topping D30 Pro - 400$

Also I can confirm that JDS has probably the most great support I have talked to.

datrumole

this is a PHENOMENAL read, great share! i run my entire HT from my HTPC with EAPO, looks like i have a new reason to rip out the ole mic to re-level everything with the preamp gain set to -4dB prior to running sweeps

I measured it with a Topping E30 and the (fairly obvious) answer is: no, it doesn't make a difference wether Windows or the DACs volume control is used (The final truth about DSP Volume Control in Roon | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum ).
Analog volume control might fare a bit better (at these price levels), but channel balance is far more important.

I wonder why they used an older DAC chip again here. Performance is obviously where it should be, so in the end it doesn't matter.

another great share! so paired with the above article, it's pretty simply to deduce that windows can provide a fully capable source and volume control making a digital volume control, or even one on the amp not a requirement

one other point, are you suggesting that for this module, that the fact that the two channels were slightly off, was a deal breaker? i've been eyeing an E30, but with the chip shortage, and price bump, this seemed to fill the gap (however, i do love the E30 source switching with a remote/auto-sense)

Yes there is. I like DACs with volume control so if I don't have another source, I can directly drive a power amplifier with them.

fair point, so i suppose it's situation dependent and flexibility down the line if you ended up having to use this with a fixed output source into a fixed amp stage (although i'm hard pressed to think of a scenario/setup like that).

i think outside of that, the above articles confirmed it's not exactly beneficial in the audio sense as having a digital volume control built in if using with a windows source, which many have maintained that windows as a volume control is a no-no. i know other members have tested this, but would love to get your measurements on it as well considering the level of equipment you have access to to help dispel those myths that are perpetrated all over the web. lots of push for people using ASIO/WASAPI as the only acceptable solutions, and again, windows volume control being a no-go

3125b

Major Contributor
that the fact that the two channels were slightly off, was a deal breaker? i've been eyeing an E30,
I don't mean the E30, that has perfect 0dB channel balance (not even a millivolt difference at any level).
I was referring to the amp, in this case a JDS Atom, but that goes for any amp with an analog potentiometer volume control. At lower level (and that will of course vary between samples) the channel imbalance is noticable, with my specific Atom the difference is <0.5dB from ~9am setting upwards. So having a digital volume control in the chain (be it PC or DAC) is a good thing, it doesn't matter where.

datrumole

I don't mean the E30, that has perfect 0dB channel balance (not even a millivolt difference at any level).
I was referring to the amp, in this case a JDS Atom, but that goes for any amp with an analog potentiometer volume control. At lower level (and that will of course vary between samples) the channel imbalance is noticable, with my specific Atom the difference is <0.5dB from ~9am setting upwards. So having a digital volume control in the chain (be it PC or DAC) is a good thing, it doesn't matter where.

sorry, i didnt meant to indicate you were talking specifically about the E30 having an imbalance. i think this jd labs atom DAC has shown a slight imbalance in amirms measurements, thats what i thought you may have meant when you commented on channel imbalance as an issue

but following now, thanks for clarification

and i agree as well, i've been making DIY amplifiers, and perfer to leave pot's out of my chain for exactly this reason, so i use a fixed gain implementation. then ensure my signal chain can accommodate

coolajami

Actually twice, Atom AMP (100$) + Atom DAC+ (110$) = 210$ vs Topping D30 Pro - 400$

Also I can confirm that JDS has probably the most great support I have talked to.

A bit unfair for the JDS Stack, as you compare the Atom DAC+Amp with only the Topping D30 Pro that is a DAC only.
If you add in the equation the Topping A30Pro Amp for completing the Topping stack, which costs another $350 or sth, then you get a 4X price difference.
Anyway, I don't' t think in any case the comparison is fair: they compete in different price levels, and both stacks are very competitive in their own merits within their price range.

ALex_hha

A bit unfair for the JDS Stack, as you compare the Atom DAC+Amp with only the Topping D30 Pro that is a DAC only.
If you add in the equation the Topping A30Pro Amp for completing the Topping stack, which costs another $350 or sth, then you get a 4X price difference.
agree, and without Atom AMP will be Atom DAC+ be able to drive active speakers something like Kali Audio LP6/JBL 306P MKII/Adam Audio T5V or I have to use AMP in such case ?

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
agree, and without Atom AMP will be Atom DAC+ be able to drive active speakers something like Kali Audio LP6/JBL 306P MKII/Adam Audio T5V or I have to use AMP in such case ?
The amps are already within the active speakers themselves; you do not need a headphone amp, power amp or preamp to use active speakers with DACs. Preamps for remote volume control are optional

coolajami

No, You don't need the Amp if you want a DAC only for driving active speakers, but in the case of the Atom Stack, you'll have NO ability to control the volume, because the Atom DAC+ does not have volume control. That is not important if you have another device AFTER the DAC likea set of speakers with their own volume control. I can see the problem if you want to use the optical input of the DAC+ And your speakers do not have their own volume control, as you need to have some sort of device with a volume control in a series connection with the Atom DAC+ output and before your speakers. In my case, my speakers have their own remote and volume control, so I don't care if the DAC does not have volume control.

FYI, the Amp usually is optional for active speakers and the main reason for getting one is connecting headphones to a DAC. So in your initial picture, you can skip the Atom Amp completely if you don't need to connect headphones and you can control the volume in another way. You’ll need an amp for speakers only if your speakers are passive.

I can understand your confusion, as many headphone Amps (including the Atom Amp) will act also as a pre-Amp for active speakers, so they could be added in a series connection, without stripping the ability from the user to connect the rest of his equipment (e.g active speakers) but that is not their main function. So, alongside the headphone output, they usually will offer back the connection their using (e.g if they require RCA input, they will also offer an RCA output as pre-Amp).

EDIT: sorry a bit shallow response from my part, you will need an amp as well for passive speakers, but not for active ones, and the speakers you were referring to are active speakers. I answered with the Atom Amp in mind, that is specifically a headphone amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom