• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

Veri

Master Contributor
"Immediately getting a headache" is pretty anecdotal and even coincidental though. I could say that about any device on a bad day and it would not really mean anything.

jseaber

Audio Company
@BerserkCore - I've been thinking through this.

Considering you find similar results from Atom DAC+ and another brand, I doubt there is a defect. Such extreme audible differences should be easily observed in measurements.

You are connecting Unbalanced outputs to a Balanced 1/4 TRS input of the JBLs. It's possible the grounded inverting pin of the balanced TRS input results in different audio performance based on the source. Just a guuess!

Please email if you would like to try another DAC. We have a couple original Atom DACs and 1 OL DAC available for comparison. We'll also be glad to perform a full test run on your Atom DAC+.

BerserkCore

abs no longer seem
"Immediately getting a headache" is pretty anecdotal and even coincidental though. I could say that about any device on a bad day and it would not really mean anything.

You're right, I said much more than that, and there should be a way to measure what I'm talking about instead of running off in myopic non productive tangents.

Pugsly

Just registered there to comment about amazing customer service.
Ordered atom amp, and after few days also ordered atom dac for my verum mk2 and dt990 600ohm.
JDS answered all my questions, they also combined my package,and all that was blazing fast. Definitelly will advice them to my friends.
I'm pretty amazed about that kind of service. JDS - you made my day.

N.B. i've ordered atom dac , and they sent me dac+ with no additional fee.

PS. WIll be pretty intresting to use 8ohm headphones with 600 ohm ones, heh

I, too, can attest to the excellent customer service at JDS Labs. Ordered the Element II, and after a week the power adapter started to create a buzzing noise. Contacted them, they told me it was likely due to having been knocked a few too many times in transit, and sent a replacement before my keyboard had gotten cold. It arrived express within a day or two. The only thing I regret about my purchase was not realizing that I could have gotten the metal casing engraved for free, and only because they look so awesome! See:
https://blog.jdslabs.com/2014/05/custom-engraving-examples/
Granted, not relevant for those ordering the Atom+/DAC as these are plastic and so cannot be engraved, but... just one more reason to spend a little extra for a metal case and at the same time support this amazing company!

RndJeff

This looks great! How would it compare to the Hidizs S9 pro (ES9038Q2M)?

I know they are different beasts, but I use an iPhone6s connected to powered speakers, so I do not really need portability.

They pretty much cost the same thing where I am so I would just choose the one with best sound quality.

RndJeff

Both are so accurate that they are easily arguable to be noise and distortion-free within the range of human hearing. So they would sound the same.
Thank you! I'll probably go with the Atom since the optical input could prove handy later on. Also it won't drain my battery as much as the dongle.

Suppa92

Do you guys think atom+ would match with Verum mk2's 8ohm load?

Suppa92

Don't see why not. This is the DAC thread though I'm sure you mean the amp :D
oh crap, I ruined my very first question on this forum :facepalm::D:p
I'm considering both atom + dac amp stack, puzzled to get that or topping l30,e30 stack.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm considering both atom + dac amp stack, puzzled to get that or topping l30,e30 stack.

Both should be fine, I would say get whatever is easiest to acquire for your country. The Atom+ has this graph
index.php

Which shows for 8 ohm headphones you would get (almost) 2Vrms undistorted, more if you allow some distortion to set in. That should make the Verums go very loud, indeed, although you might need to set it to high gain mode. Therefore I believe the Atom stack would work fine in any case.. :) this graph is not available for L30 but I think it would perform similarly.

bboris77

Both should be fine, I would say get whatever is easiest to acquire for your country. The Atom+ has this graph
index.php

Which shows for 8 ohm headphones you would get (almost) 2Vrms undistorted, more if you allow some distortion to set in. That should make the Verums go very loud, indeed, although you might need to set it to high gain mode. Therefore I believe the Atom stack would work fine in any case.. :) this graph is not available for L30 but I think it would perform similarly.
Keep in mind that the distortion figures should be even better in the low gain mode at the same output level compared to the high gain mode. Obviously, the Atom Amp will not go past 2V in low gain if it is being fed by the Atom DAC, but it is very likely that it will be more than loud enough.

Suppa92

index.php

wow, thanks for the help with the explaining this graph. I think 2V is way more than enough based on Verum site info

• 82 mm membrane
  • 116 dB\V or 96 dB\mW sensitivity
  • 470 grams
  • 8 ohms

RndJeff

Both are so accurate that they are easily arguable to be noise and distortion-free within the range of human hearing. So they would sound the same.

Plot twist, I changed from listening music from my iPhone to listening from a late 2021 iMac. I received the Atom DAC+ today. I don't have any equipment to do objective measuring, but it does sound subjectively better to me than using the internal DAC via the lineout. Placebo effect or not (I'm told the iMac internal DACS are also top-notch,) I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Plot twist, I changed from listening music from my iPhone to listening from a late 2021 iMac. I received the Atom DAC+ today. I don't have any equipment to do objective measuring, but it does sound subjectively better to me than using the internal DAC via the lineout. Placebo effect or not (I'm told the iMac internal DACS are also top-notch,) I'm quite happy with my purchase.
What amp are you using with the Atom DAC+?

Suppa92

Does Atom DAC+ uses internal clock or source clock when using with Spotify on windows?
I've installed XMOS drivers but Spotify doesn't allow any ASIO/WASAPI:Exclusive or Event settings, does this affect the dac timing/clock?

Veri

Master Contributor
Does Atom DAC+ uses internal clock or source clock when using with Spotify on windows?
I've installed XMOS drivers but Spotify doesn't allow any ASIO/WASAPI:Exclusive or Event settings, does this affect the dac timing/clock?
Internal clock still ; no.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom