• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom amp

JediMa

I own an Atom for a couple of years thanks to your excellent advice. I saw now that exists the Atom +. In case I would like to upgrade my headphones amp, should I get the Atom+ or I should go for something more expensive?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to upgrade unless you don't have enough power, or need some extra functionality.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I came to learn for most of the questions in life, the correct answer is it depends. If you are asking the question in English that is. It depends on why you want to upgrade your headphone amp. Why do you want to upgrade?

OP
JediMa

JediMa

I came to learn for most of the questions in life, the correct answer is it depends. If you are asking the question in English that is. It depends on why you want to upgrade your headphone amp. Why do you want to upgrade?
Because I've the money now to do it if it's the case, I mean so i can do it now. Tech wise, to have more power and mostly more features-options. Atom is fantastic but extremely basic features wise

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to upgrade for sake of upgrading, there are a lot of options. You can keep your current setup for example and add a DAC/AMP combo for for ease of use. You can consider maybe going balanced, not that it is gonna matter much but it is an upgrade. As far as I can tell, Atom+ is not.

Atom Amp+ is built on the exact same circuit board as Atom Amp. The bulk of the performance boost results from upgrading the input stage ICs from NJM2068 to NJM5532, followed by small tweaks to supporting resistors.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

If you want to upgrade for sake of upgrading, there are a lot of options. You can keep your current setup for example and add a DAC/AMP combo for for ease of use. You can consider maybe going balanced, not that it is gonna matter much but it is an upgrade. As far as I can tell, Atom+ is not.

Atom Amp+ is built on the exact same circuit board as Atom Amp. The bulk of the performance boost results from upgrading the input stage ICs from NJM2068 to NJM5532, followed by small tweaks to supporting resistors.
I was considering the Fiio K7 as combo amp dac also because has a balanced port. Do you know it? Is it good?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I own an Atom for a couple of years thanks to your excellent advice. I saw now that exists the Atom +. In case I would like to upgrade my headphones amp, should I get the Atom+ or I should go for something more expensive?

What headphones do you use?

That might be a way to spend money burning a hole in your pocket.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What headphones do you use?

That might be a way to spend money burning a hole in your pocket.
They are in his signature, along with the other headamps he owns.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know of Fiio K7, on paper it seems fine with good DAC and Amp, but I am not sure how it performs. It seems to have 4.4mm balanced output indeed. Upgrading becomes a bit more satisfactory if you have an idea aabout what you want to accomplish. Any specific objectives in mind?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think unless you need more power for one of your headphones, or you are hearing noise, you are fine, no reason to upgrade. Your DAC and Amps should be quite transparent.

I would suggest saving the money for another set of headphones, if anything.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

I know of Fiio K7, on paper it seems fine with good DAC and Amp, but I am not sure how it performs. It seems to have 4.4mm balanced output indeed. Upgrading becomes a bit more satisfactory if you have an idea aabout what you want to accomplish. Any specific objectives in mind?
More versatility, like in case I wanted to use balanced headphones or more greedy one in the next future. So basically to prevent few bottlenecks

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Top Bottom