• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Teeter

Well, I have been going back and forth with the Stage A130, and have finally settled on my original Klipsch R-51M for FL/FR. It was pretty hard and gave them extended listening time over the months. I like the more distinct clearness of the Klipsch, for DD MOVIES. I can say that for internet mp3 music, on occasions, too. It was a struggle to decide.

Also, the AVR auto speaker calibrations, were left alone. I think the Stage A 130 was too neutral for my ears. At least I gave it a try, based on Amir's review and well within budget or better. I did have JBL's Northridge bookshelves, for some years, and are still collecting dust. :)

rochambeaux

Apologize for the Noob ask but where is a good "starter" How To when it comes to equalization using a desktop stack/PC setup?

375HP2482

^^ I suggest downloading the Peace Equalizer APO here. It has a simple interface and can easily implement any filter you can think of, from PEQ peak/dip to HP subsonic filters useful when using bookshelfs barefoot. I played around with it using the settings derived earlier in this thread. They made a slightly audible but not really significant difference.

Erin bashed this speaker in his review, but I still believe that it's pretty good. Especially if you expect/like your modest bookshelf to play loud cleanly. Nitpicking about the frequency response is moot when you have an equalizer that can correct for it. I have mine angled against a wall and just turn the bass down a bit. You can't correct for nonlinearity (distortion) and weak LF response, neither of which are issues here.

If you read AVS Speakers forum for awhile you come to the conclusion that eventually most everyone wants to "upgrade" (read: try something else) their bookshelf speakers. With this in mind you might as well start with the lower-priced bookshelfs like this one so that changing them out won't cost a lot. And remember: they're just bookshelf speakers, not M2s.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the JBL A130 this week. Here are my JBL A130 measurements and crossover mod I did.
The crossover is as simple as it get, and after playing with crossover optimization the end result is a very simple mod adding one 3.3 ohm resistor in serial with the Woofer capacitor.The mod results with the simulation and actual measurements looking very promising.
Please find the attach pictures of the circuit the simulation and the actual measurements before and after the mod.
The measurements are done on tweeter axis 0.5m from the speaker. It looks like the distortion in the 0.5-2KHz also improved.
@ObjectAudio I'm trying to use rePhase to 'linearize' or remove the phase shift caused by the crossover. Do you have any idea what the final (original) acoustical crossover of the speaker?

Last edited:

JeffGB

So I was listening to an old CD that was very warm with a bit of boom happening. I reached out and put my hands on both sides of the a130 and squeezed. Damnit! I can't unhear the drop in resonance! The change was very large so now I am going to have to modify them or build entirely new cabinets. Set up carefully and EQ'd they are superb so I think they are worth some work.

I have an idea of drilling a hole in both sides and inserting a threaded steel bar, sandwiching the cabinet walls on either side with large bolts, washers, and rubber dampers. That way I can tighten internal bolts firmly and them tighten the outside bolts tighter to hold each wall. The bar will act like a damped brace, in theory. It will work similarly to the way the KEF LS50 is done, which I find works great. We'll see :).

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL Stage A130 bookshelf speaker. I purchases these online but can't find the receipt. They normally cost US $300/pair but the place I bought them from has them for $209 right now.

The A130 looks plain until you take off the grill and then looks handsome:

View attachment 98289

I like the rounded corners which are easier on the hands and reduce diffraction:

View attachment 98290

On the other hand, I did not like the binding posts that were too close to each other and to the back of the cup:
View attachment 98291

Fortunately you only deal with them once.

I did not show the grill but it has metal pins and took fair amount of energy to pull it off. So someone was thinking of longevity given that the budget did not allow magnetic mount.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate mostly below 1%.

Temperature was 64 degrees F. Measurement location is at sea level so you compute the pressure.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

The grill was off and measurements were referenced to tweeter center.

JBL Stage A130 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 98292

Ignoring the three prominent peaks, on-axis response is actually quite flat. The cause of those peaks is quite evident if we measure each radiating surface at close distance:

View attachment 98293

Starting at the right, the tweeter is clearly peaking at around 15 kHz. Coming down we see the peak around 1.3 kHz which I think is caused by the port resonance (orange). There is another peak around 870 Hz which may be from the woofer itself or combination with the port.

Early window reflections show quite a similarity (for good or bad) with the direct on-axis sound:

View attachment 98294

Putting the two together gives us a predicted response that is slightly smoothed over version of on-axis:

View attachment 98295

From experience I know that the peaking from 900 to 2 kHz can actually be pleasant and far better than dips in that area. The final resonance likely is not very audible due its very high frequency and narrowness.

Here is our impedance plot which shows the resonances as well:
View attachment 98296

The fancy trademark JBL waveguide does it job well in controlling directivity:

View attachment 98297

View attachment 98298

These are active, professional monitor class directivity and not something we often see in bargain speakers.

I was pleased that we had more wiggle room vertically, making the height of the speaker less critical:

View attachment 98299

Most impressive was the low amount of distortion:

View attachment 98300

If those resonances were not there around 1 kHz and at 15 kHz, this would look even cleaner.

View attachment 98301

We can see our 50 dB reference line is barely exceeded until we get very low in frequency. Did not expect this.

JBL A130 Listening Tests
I started to listen to the A130 as is and as I suspect, the sound was pretty pleasant. Yes, the upper mid had the accentuation that I expected. This actually makes female vocals sound more detailed and more airy. But it was a bit much so I reached in my EQ tool and knocked those two resonances down plus the one at 15 kHz:

View attachment 98302

Not only did the first two notches clean up the response but it made the sound of the speaker super clean and effortless. There was a level of fidelity that was giving me goosebumps! I can only envision the cause being reduced distortion to go alone with the better response. The third filter made a very subtle difference but was still worthwhile.

Once there, I started to crank up the volume and this little speaker can play and play loud! Despite me using a single speaker, it had no trouble playing as loud as I wanted. My speaker killer track with deep bass and zero effect on it. Bass played as if it is no big deal producing a level of fidelity that I rarely see, err hear, in speakers let alone a budget one.

Conclusions
Out of the box the JBL A130 gets a lot of things right but leaves us with basically two resonances that are issues. Fortunately the peaking there is not as bad as it seems to the eye. As it was the A130 was more than listenable. Dial in the simple EQ as I did and this speaker outperforms many speakers. It has a fluid, effort-free sound with excellent neutrality that was a joy to listen to across all kinds of music. It simply did not care what I threw at it -- it performed.

I can recommend the A130 even if you don't have an EQ. If you can apply EQ, then the JBL Stage A130 gets one of my highest recommendations. It is a great example of how we can fix one or two minor flaws in a speaker with EQ and create a hybrid solution that is nearly untouchable in its price range or even higher.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Had stored the last batch of Japanese shishito peppers saved up and figured I make a snack out of them:
View attachment 98303

With a touch of lemon juice, soy sauce and salt they were wonderful as always. Normally you only see them in green but I left them on the plants for too long and tehy turned red/orange and a bit sweeter. Yum!!!

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I've written a comparison of the A130 vs the A180 and should have placed it here, but did not. It can be found here:

Beer Budget

Located at the center of the observable universe!
Where do I find the Sensitivity spec? I always have trouble finding sensitivity specs in all of the reviews.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do I find the Sensitivity spec? I always have trouble finding sensitivity specs in all of the reviews.
In Amir's measurements you can just eyeball an average, looking at the on-axis curve in his first chart which is at 2.83V and 1 meter.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In Amir's measurements you can just eyeball an average, looking at the on-axis curve in his first chart which is at 2.83V and 1 meter.
The solid horizontal red line at the top is right on JBL's 86 dB spec.

index.php

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes the manufacturer spec is accurate for this one. It hasn't always been the case for some others that have been reviewed here.
I was under the impression that most of the speakers from some brands tested here (JBL, Revel, etc.) consistently measured very close to their published sensitivity specs whereas some other brands (Klipsch, etc.) consistently measured well below their published specs.

375HP2482

One watt at one meter defines efficiency, while 2.83 volts at one meter defines sensitivity.

Stated speaker impedances are all over the map, though it should be specified by minimum impedance. Which these days is usually around 4 ohms. Measurements usually use 2.83 volts as the standard "1 watt/8 ohms" stimulus signal, which is really 2 watts at 4 ohms. No one wants to throw double the power away in a specification.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For passive speakers, you can easily see it from the first graph:

index.php

You can see that it averages about 86 dBSPL.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I post the calculated sensitivity & manufacturer spec’d sensitivity in my preference rating & graphs posts.

I use the IEC method of 300Hz-3kHz, Polk actually calculates 100Hz-10kHz, which is very commendable to do as some companies still only do 1kHz and then of course some don’t even do anechoic sensitivity.

Last edited:

Beer Budget

Located at the center of the observable universe!
I had a feeling it was right in front of my face. It was so easy it was hard. Thank-you everyone!

Teeter

^^ I suggest downloading the Peace Equalizer APO here. It has a simple interface and can easily implement any filter you can think of, from PEQ peak/dip to HP subsonic filters useful when using bookshelfs barefoot. I played around with it using the settings derived earlier in this thread. They made a slightly audible but not really significant difference.

Erin bashed this speaker in his review, but I still believe that it's pretty good. Especially if you expect/like your modest bookshelf to play loud cleanly. Nitpicking about the frequency response is moot when you have an equalizer that can correct for it. I have mine angled against a wall and just turn the bass down a bit. You can't correct for nonlinearity (distortion) and weak LF response, neither of which are issues here.

If you read AVS Speakers forum for awhile you come to the conclusion that eventually most everyone wants to "upgrade" (read: try something else) their bookshelf speakers. With this in mind you might as well start with the lower-priced bookshelfs like this one so that changing them out won't cost a lot. And remember: they're just bookshelf speakers, not M2s.
I just thought Erin's review was more complete in his testing relating to more graphs/substance. I would not say he bashed Amir, but came up with different results and went back for rechecks.

My Klipsch R-51M's [$199] will be set aside along with the JBL A130's[$179] and go from there. I had gone back to the A130's last month. The new ELAC Debut 2.0 DB62's, $349 delivered, are to arrive today and can be returned. I have an AVR 7.1 w speaker sound correction in the 10 X 8 HT basement room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom