• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

VipinS

For indoor enviroment we usual get enormous gain for subs that usual is very close to one or two boundarys, study below simulated model and see 4th order 32Hz almost cover 2nd order 20Hz roll off :) used outdoor gain is though much less..

View attachment 100122
Hey ! Thank you for your input but I don’t understand these graphs well. In lay man term can I conclude it won’t matter much as it’s my 15x16 bedroom with height 11 feet ?

VipinS

Thank you all for your inputs . This is the final setup -
Avr- denon x1600h

Jbl stage a130 bookshelves

Jbl stage a125c centre

Jbl stage a120p sub

Jbl stage a120 rear

I hope it will rock my room lol

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey ! Thank you for your input but I don’t understand these graphs well. In lay man term can I conclude it won’t matter much as it’s my 15x16 bedroom with height 11 feet ?
Okay hope this helps a bit, per each boundary inside a room one gets room gain at low frequency so black curve represent a perfect subwoofer measured anechoic witout any boundarys as Amir present in spindata plots, that black cuve when it see 3x room boundarys one at 0,5 feet one at 1.5 feet and one at 3,5 feet plus some room pressurization gain with 50% leakage will output the red curve in a room with longest dimension of 16 feet as your bedroom, that red curve have huge ripple and headroom that can be EQed down until it looks smooth as the ideal lightgrey target curve 20Hz-150Hz, and that way using real world rooms its no problem have a subwoofer with 4th order roll off @32Hz because normal roomgain will make it reach much lower than specification tell about :)..
VipinS_roomgain.png

VipinS

Okay hope this helps a bit, per each boundary inside a room one gets room gain at low frequency so black curve represent a perfect subwoofer measured anechoic witout any boundarys as Amir present in spindata plots, that black cuve when it see 3x room boundarys one at 0,5 feet one at 1.5 feet and one at 3,5 feet plus some room pressurization gain with 50% leakage will output the red curve in a room with longest dimension of 16 feet as your bedroom, that red curve have huge ripple and headroom that can be EQed down until it looks smooth as the ideal lightgrey target curve 20Hz-150Hz, and that way using real world rooms its no problem have a subwoofer with 4th order roll off @32Hz because normal roomgain will make it reach much lower than specification tell about :)..
View attachment 100192
Excellent explanation !
thanks a lot for the assurance that I am not going to miss much from my sub .
Have a great day sir. :)

VipinS

Another good, cheap speaker that you can't mount without drilling holes in it.
Jbl stage a120 does come with mounting kits . And I don’t need to wall mount the Jbl a130 or centre anyways . So I don’t understand what you meant to say . :)

VipinS

Indeed, but only 4 1/2" drivers.
Yes ! I am getting it for its size and wall mounting capabilities . It’s anyways gonna work as surround speakers so that does only 10-15% job in a home theatre . But thank you for the concern .

D

Deleted member 19122

Brave man
We just got back from an overseas assignment in Japan, some of the combo hot-pot/griddle/takoyaki electric combos sold there were pretty cool. We meant to get one, but I guess we forgot. To be fair we never fell in love with takoyaki or sukiyaki/suabu-shabu.

I also wanted a really nice rice cooker from there, but I was unsure how well it would work without a voltage converter going from 100V there to 120V in the US. It seemed like an expensive gamble and I also didn't really want to fuss around with voltage converters, one for a rice maker would be largeish.

That yakiniku grill is just charcoal. My main target is yaki-tori and I also got the solid metal bars to 'convert' it. But I need to find a reasonable substitute to binchotan or a price I'm comfortable with, some of it's $20-$30/lb here. I've found some for about $5/lb which I would be OK with trying and seeing how fast I got through it, if the 'cheap' stuff is any good, and using it for special occasions.
Brave man! Binchotan is a road I pondered but decided not to faff about with.
What I want is an EU voltage electric grill with all the Japanese grilling attachments like a Zojirushi but I've had no luck.Dealt with voltage converters a lot when I first moved from USA to EU and had all sorts of wacky wiring fubars that disappeared once I got rid of them.I live in a typical German altbau building,beautiful to look at but wiring from another world LOL.

Attachments

• grillj.jpg
    grillj.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 115

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wanted a really nice rice cooker from there, but I was unsure how well it would work without a voltage converter going from 100V there to 120V in the US. It seemed like an expensive gamble and I also didn't really want to fuss around with voltage converters, one for a rice maker would be largeish.
Zojirushi on Amazon...I've got one and it's pretty neat. Even sings you a song to let you know it's done.

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Are the Stage A130 available for $200 or thereabouts somewhere?

Teeter

Based on this review and comments, I purchased the Stage A130, from Crutchfield's scratch and dent dept today. Also, I received notice it is shipping today. These are replacing my front L/R speakers, which are currently, Klipsch R-51M. I have a 5.1 system and watch mostly movies. My size basement listening area is 12 X 8. Total size basement is 30 X 40 and all open air. I have a Denon AV w 4k TV, and Directv. My audio listening/tv viewing distance is 7 feet. Center speaker is Klipsch RP 500C w surrounds Polk S-20 and Klipsch sub. We will see how the replacement Stage A130 stacks up. I listen to some internet music time to time, too, using the Denon AV multi-channel.

I appreciate the review on the A130 along with comments.

phoenixsong

My living room has a low wooden cabinet fixed to the front wall spanning all the way from left to right. As such, I am unable to use speaker stands, and it is most convenient to place the speakers on the cabinet itself (the tweeter will be almost at eye level, maybe slight above when we're seated on the couch just over 2m away facing it). My greatest concern would be the resonances bouncing off the surface of the cabinet, for the distance relative to the drivers is very short compared to the ceiling and side walls, and probably unnatural compared to speaker measurement setups.

Will there be a problem if I use the A130 in this fashion? And if so, what are some ways to mitigate this?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
.....Will there be a problem if I use the A130 in this fashion? And if so, what are some ways to mitigate this?

Should not in first place be a problem in as seen below JBL annouce A130 as a bookshelf speaker and show pictures so close to wall that it nearly looks like a on wall placement, that said if something in low end say below 500Hz end up sound wrong then you can probably EQ out the problems using free REW and a borrowed or cheap omni microphone, in general it is so that in normal rooms there is 6 times of boundarys that all wil add their constructive room gain boost below 500Hz but in some are late relative to A130 baffle and wavelenght is of varying numbers with frequency then some few areas down there can end up be of destructive kind, so suggest read the manual for clues and simply try out the fixed cabinet placement and if it sounds good to your ears there then its good..

phoenixsong.png

phoenixsong

Should not in first place be a problem in as seen below JBL annouce A130 as a bookshelf speaker and show pictures so close to wall that it nearly looks like a on wall placement, that said if something in low end say below 500Hz end up sound wrong then you can probably EQ out the problems using free REW and a borrowed or cheap omni microphone, in general it is so that in normal rooms there is 6 times of boundarys that all wil add their constructive room gain boost below 500Hz but in some are late relative to A130 baffle and wavelenght is of varying numbers with frequency then some few areas down there can end up be of destructive kind, so suggest read the manual for clues and simply try out the fixed cabinet placement and if it sounds good to your ears there then its good..

View attachment 103017
Thanks, I'll probably try to shift them forward so that they are at the edge of the cabinet's top like in the pics :)

Teeter

I agree. My current Klipsch R-15M's, rear ported, waiting the repl JBLs A130 to arrive Tues., have been located along both front side walls and angled in.

Last edited:

Ralferator

View attachment 103017
To me from the size it looks like it's the Stage a120 on the picture and that one seems to be designed for placing in the bookshelf or hanging on the wall.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
To me from the size it looks like it's the Stage a120 on the picture and that one seems to be designed for placing in the bookshelf or hanging on the wall.

Ha ha sorry then but on JBL USA site those pictures are published for A130 and not for A120 site plus in A130 specifications there they print its a bookshelf loudspeaker :confused:..

Can see that if its 45 rpm singles on the picture with the white brick tiles then i get a height of that loudspeaker to be about 240mm in height and that number doesnt stem with 285mm height number for A120 or 321mm height number for A130 :D..

Top Bottom