• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I never listen to any speaker in the garage, cold or otherwise. The measurement gear is in the garage and it removes the effect of the garage so it is not even material there. All listening tests are performed where I listen to my systems: my 2-channel far field and 2-channel near-field. It is an open space requiring lots of SPL to fill it. But it is no garage. And it is at normal living temperature.

Duly noted , thanks.

VipinS

I never listen to any speaker in the garage, cold or otherwise. The measurement gear is in the garage and it removes the effect of the garage so it is not even material there. All listening tests are performed where I listen to my systems: my 2-channel far field and 2-channel near-field. It is an open space requiring lots of SPL to fill it. And it is at normal living temperature.
Hello Amirm.. can you please check out my post and reply . Thank you in advance . I took my decision after seeing your review of stage a130 here . https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ile-home-theatre-5-1-setup-help-please.18483/

witchdoctor

Not looking forward to your review at all. Probably will have to dig in my pockets again.

Yep, I started with the 230's,then added the 225c center, then the 210 surrounds, the 250P sub and finally 4 of the control CRV as height channels in the man cave. I just added one item at a time and tried to catch them on sale when I could:
Man Cave Front.jpg

boselover61

I picked them (the arean pair)up on clearance for only $50USD new.
Very nice smooth sound with a little grain in the trebble and fatter bass than A130.
Essentially I remember initially thinking I'd keep them but never really fell in love with them.
Bear in mind I try a lot of speakers and design them as a hobby so I often don't keep them even if most people would be more than happy.
I'd say give them a chance. My opinion is that they sounded worth recommending people try them.
At that time I was also running the Polk Lsim703 and the NHT C3, so much pricier gear.
I kept the polks for about 1 year (very rich sounding speakers)and the C3's (very detailed speakers, perhaps edgy)for a couple months. Both of those speakers lost to the JBL 530's which I will never sell.
What do you use to power your speakers? I only have a 20w amp but it the bass is absolutely nutty on the Stage A130. With a little more power it should be very good

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

VipinS

I glanced at that thread earlier. As noted by someone, don't get Control 1. That is not a proper speaker for your application.
I am torned between Polk t15(110$), Polk owm3 (180$) and Jbl a120(215$) .
Recommendation ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am torned between Polk t15(110$), Polk owm3 (180$) and Jbl a120(215$) .
Recommendation ?
Not without testing them all. I highly encourage you to stay with speakers that we have tested. Anything else is a random dart thrown at the board....

VipinS

Not without testing them all. I highly encourage you to stay with speakers that we have tested. Anything else is a random dart thrown at the board....
Have you tested any of these ? Any other recommendation ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

witchdoctor

A matching speaker in the series from the same design team is not a random dart. Mixing speakers from different brands in a HT setup I would agree is more of a random dart.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks ! Is it safe to assume a120 would pass your tests simply because a130did with flying colours ?
It is a different design but from a company that knows what it is doing so yes.

VipinS

It is a different design but from a company that knows what it is doing so yes.
I will have to extend my budget a little bit I hope it will be worth it :)
Thank you .
Any suggestions on subwoofer ?
Svs ,hsu,rhythmic are not options here .
Polk audio hts 12 vs Jbl a120p ? How about Klipsch r120sw?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I highly encourage you to stay with speakers that we have tested. Anything else is a random dart thrown at the board...
Yes and thanks to this review, I now have the A130s in place of the ATC SCM7s for surround speakers. At this rate, I will soon want a "Certified by ASR" sticker for my entire system.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I will have to extend my budget a little bit I hope it will be worth it :)
Thank you .
Any suggestions on subwoofer ?
Svs ,hsu,rhythmic are not options here .
Polk audio hts 12 vs Jbl a120p ? How about Klipsch r120sw?
Check out Erin's youtube channel, where he talks about his subwoofer reviews, and his spreadsheet, where he currently shows his CEA2010A/B results.
Lots of threads on ASR talking about budget subs. Link. Link2. Search the forum for more.

Top Bottom