• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

witchdoctor

I will have to extend my budget a little bit I hope it will be worth it :)
Thank you .
Any suggestions on subwoofer ?
Svs ,hsu,rhythmic are not options here .
Polk audio hts 12 vs Jbl a120p ? How about Klipsch r120sw?

Infinity Reference R12 (60% off right now) also a Harman product:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/sale/REFERENCE+SUB+R12.html?dwvar_REFERENCE SUB R12_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current&cgid=sale#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Infinity|JBL&prefn2=isLuxuryProduct&prefv2=no&prefn3=isRefurbished&prefv3=false&prefn4=isSupport&prefv4=false&start=1

witchdoctor

It’s

it’s not available here in India .
Only options are Jbl a120p and Polk audio hts 12.

I have a couple of Polk active speakers (SR6) which are excellent and the JBL 250P subwoofer. JBL uses a port they call "slipstream technology" which keeps the bass really tight in my experience and not at all boomy. I haven't tried the Polk subwoofers.

VipinS

I have a couple of Polk active speakers (SR6) which are excellent and the JBL 250P subwoofer. JBL uses a port they call "slipstream technology" which keeps the bass really tight in my experience and not at all boomy. I haven't tried the Polk subwoofers.
What was the price of jbl250p ? Good to know Jbl sub don’t suck .

VipinS

Also they both have same frequency response 32-150 . Do you miss frequency from 20-32 ? Am I missing something here .

witchdoctor

Also they both have same frequency response 32-150 . Do you miss frequency from 20-32 ? Am I missing something here .

That is correct, their Pro LSR310s goes down to 27hz if you can get that one, it is around the same price here.

VipinS

Attachments

• 5A1C683B-B102-47CB-9D2A-CF54D975D5A9.png
    5A1C683B-B102-47CB-9D2A-CF54D975D5A9.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 99

witchdoctor

Well the 250P sub only goes to 32 hz but sounds extremely tight, very musical, and will get loud when needed. You'll just have to comparehe JBL Stage sub with the Polk, I think you'll be happy with either one.

VipinS

You yourself have a Jbl and you still not suggesting it . Not Impressed with it bro ? Any problems with it ?
I am assuming a120p to be the successor of 250p .

witchdoctor

You yourself have a Jbl and you still not suggesting it . Not Impressed with it bro ? Any problems with it ?

Well I know that I like it and it matches great with the 230's. I think you should go with the JBL but maybe the Polk has a feature important to you that I didn't know about. This is the "Stage" series of speakers and JBL used trickle down tech from the speakers they use in concert halls and move theaters with this line of speakers. I think that would be the sub that i would pick and you'll have a matching setup that was blended to work together by the engineers at JBL, I don't see how you could miss.

I also know that a sub doesn't have to be timbre matched like the speakers so you have a little more flexibility as for choices.

VipinS

Well I know that I like it and it matches great with the 230's. I think you should go with the JBL but maybe the Polk has a feature important to you that I didn't know about. This is the "Stage" series of speakers and JBL used trickle down tech from the speakers they use in concert halls and move theaters with this line of speakers. I think that would be the sub that i would pick and you'll have a matching setup that was blended to work together by the engineers at JBL, I don't see how you could miss.

I also know that a sub doesn't have to be timbre matched like the speakers so you have a little more flexibility as for choices.
And goes with my room decor like its custom made for them .
It’s a full black and white themed room .
I am willing to take chance on Jbl as Amir said it’s from company who actually know what they are doing .

witchdoctor

And goes with my room decor like its custom made for them .
It’s a full black and white themed room .
I am willing to take chance on Jbl as Amir said it’s from company who actually know what they are doing .

I know I started with just a pair of the 230's on my desktop and each addition to that line has been a winner. There is a certain "tightness" to JBL bass in both the speakers and the sub which to me is one of there trademarks. Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you have time.

VipinS

I know I started with just a pair of the 230's on my desktop and each addition to that line has been a winner. There is a certain "tightness" to JBL bass in both the speakers and the sub which to me is one of there trademarks. Looking forward to hearing your impressions when you have time.
Thanks man for boosting my confidence with tight bass thing . I would be ok if it’s not wall shaking but should be tight and not boomy . That’s my first priority .
I will definitely post my whole review here once get it . I owe this much atleast to the forum . :)
Really appreciate all the suggestions and help I am getting .

witchdoctor

It is the successor but a bit different. The 2 series is part of their "Studio" series modeled with trickle down tech from the studio monitor the M2. The "stage" series is modeled with trickle down tech from their concert hall/ movie theater speakers. The wave guides are similar but the drivers are different materials. Polycellulose for the Stage serices and Polyplas for the Studio series.

VipinS

It is the successor but a bit different. The 2 series is part of their "Studio" series modeled with trickle down tech from the studio monitor the M2. The "stage" series is modeled with trickle down tech from their concert hall/ movie theater speakers. The wave guides are similar but the drivers are different materials. Polycellulose for the Stage serices and Polyplas for the Studio series.
Okay ! Had no clue about all these stuff . Don’t know which series is better but only stage is available in India from JBL . No other series .

Ralferator

Okay ! Had no clue about all these stuff . Don’t know which series is better but only stage is available in India from JBL . No other series .

i think you can't go wrong with the JBL Subwoofer. If it fits your black/white style, even better!

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For indoor enviroment we usual get enormous gain for subs that usual is very close to one or two boundarys, study below simulated model and see 4th order 32Hz almost cover 2nd order 20Hz roll off :) used outdoor gain is though much less..

VipinS_roomgain.png

Justin Ayers

A video, is not the best way to test hearing. In fact even using an audio system is just a mediocre way to tell.

The problem with a LOT of audio systems, is that you are not hearing a pure test tone in isolation, and at a specified level in comparison to 1khz.

Often you are hearing artifacts OF the delivery of the tone and other things. From all the things you said you have subjected your ears to, I would find it utterly incredible if you are hearing 15.8 khz anywhere close to the reference tone at 1khz for instance.
My best bet would be far closer to maybe 12-13 khz
If anything, that implies that I can hear beyond that. The tone appearing from nothing was obvious in all cases, just as when I tested them years ago.

Often you are hearing artifacts OF the delivery of the tone and other things.
It's no artifact. It's annoyingly loud and clear and sounds identical from different videos.

A person recently posted the claim, in response to one of my posts, that the evidence shows that hearing damage from noise is focused mainly in the most sensitive regions of hearing. 15K and above are not that. So, it appears that the majority of the degradation to my hearing is likely in the upper mids or lower treble — wherever it is that hearing is most sensitive. My vague recollection is that that's somewhere around 1K, which is why 1K is traditionally associated with things sounding like telephones (as that frequency, or near to it) was chosen for phones due to it being easier to hear.

As for specified level, that is a different matter. Reduced sensitivity is one thing. Not being able to hear a frequency is another. I don't doubt that my sensitivity for 15K and above is reduced. But, something around 15.6–15.8 appeared from nowhere each time, with different videos. Changing the level had no affect in terms of me definitely not being able to hear past 15.8, at least at volumes I felt were safe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom