• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL One Series 104 Powered Monitor Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not suggesting anechoic data shouldn't be taken, nor is what I proposed a job for the Klippel equipment.

Hopefully that was clear, if implied. Still, for the sake of clarity I should state it rather than imply it.

No, I understood your intent. The 104 was designed to be used on a desk, as opposed to most other speakers where desk use is something of a compromise. I don't even know how you'd simulate that with the Klippel in the first place!

By the way, what did you mean in your earlier post when you said "per Geddes and Blind 5"?

gvl

Major Contributor
Incidentally mine were at the ear level as they drop-replaced previous speakers and also toed in on improvised desk stands. Haven't tried placing them on the desk directly. Removing the toe-in seems to help to smooth out some top end edginess they had and bring more midrange. Many thanks to @amirm for elevating my listening experience one more time.

SmackDaddies

I bought for 61. Barely worth it at that price. For over 100, micca pb42x are much better. The only good aspect of them is there spatial qualities. In a nearfield situation it is quite amazing.

SmackDaddies

And there headphone out is horrendous. Made by TIN 2 sybilant and shreiking.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe Amir could do a seperate test of just the headphone amp capability in the series of headamp reviews. It would put the entire package into perspective in terms of expectations. One would guess it will not come out well.

typericey

It's currently $129 on Amazon and some have said it can be had for even lower. On it's own (i.e. without comparing it to similar products in the market) are we getting value for money? I think yes.

Is there any better sounding/measuring similar product for the price? Audioengine A2+ is a similar product but it has a DAC and therefore more expensive though I doubt it will measure better.

I remain curious and I hope to get a chance to audition at a brick and mortar soon.

SmackDaddies

It's currently $129 on Amazon and some have said it can be had for even lower. On it's own (i.e. without comparing it to similar products in the market) are we getting value for money? I think yes.

Is there any better sounding/measuring similar product for the price? Audioengine A2+ is a similar product but it has a DAC and therefore more expensive though I doubt it will measure better.

I remain curious and I hope to get a chance to audition at a brick and mortar soon.
As an owner, it is worse than my pioneer sb21 (the bad ones). I mean truly bad sounding. Worse than my micca mb42 (the non crossover version)

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Never heard the miccas, but the 104s are definitely *not* a bad sounding speaker for close-field desktop setup, which is their intended use. I wouldn't pay the full price however.

Last edited:

Cerda_cz

I was thinking to buy those speakers for my desktop table where a small dimension with a low deph especially is a must but you guys smashed them . Do you have any suggestion what speakers with deph less than 12cm should serve better compared to jbl 104? Thank you

SmackDaddies

I was thinking to buy those speakers for my desktop table where a small dimension with a low deph especially is a must but you guys smashed them . Do you have any suggestion what speakers with deph less than 12cm should serve better compared to jbl 104? Thank you
That is really tight - the smallest speakers I recomend are Micca MB42x (PB42x are the powered version). They are 160, and are rear ported, so really neeed some room behind them

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'd probably go with a Klipsch Promedia at that point. My roommate got a JBL 104 for $50 and it's worth it at that price, but don't expect much bass extension at all.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Do you have a price limit? The iLoud Micromonitors are both smaller and sound better than the JBLs. Just about the smallest speakers I can recommend overall.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^There's an MTM version too now that's even better isn't there? Also comes with ARC room calibration.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but that's $700 a pair so it's quite a bit more expensive, and bigger too. Also haven't seen much in the way of measurements. I measured the Micromonitors a little while ago.

I actually think the Micromonitors and 104 are about the same depth, but with toe in the iLouds have a smaller footprint as they are only 3.5 inches wide.

Cerda_cz

Do you have a price limit? The iLoud Micromonitors are both smaller and sound better than the JBLs. Just about the smallest speakers I can recommend overall.
my budget is about 200 eur, speakers should be connected throw my dac/amp stack Aune x1s/x7s. So i would like to get some small sized (depth as lower as possible) speakers which would be wall mounted (in ideal world) or just placed on the wall stands as my display to make my table clean as i do like .
Here is the view on my desk with a current speakers. I like how these look but not play so need an upgrade
C7690FC6-454D-4AAA-9C1B-A747D96A7CB9.jpeg

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the end every edge/discontinuity creates interference, also on not-coaxial or non-horn drivers, the problem at coaxial drivers is that their edges are usually symmetrically (all at the same radius) so they add up, only very few manufacturers like KEF and Genelec (who uses a patent from KEF) have perfectionised them after several iterations to minimise those.

KEF minimized diffraction and licensed it to Genelec? Seems like it should be the other way around... The coaxial driver on the Genelec 8260 is continuous and smooth, unlike the double gap designs KEF has. (One gap around the tweeter, one gap or surround around the woofer.)

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I bought these during the $40 Christmas eBay sale. It’s too bad they don’t have a sub out or something. Just no bass at all.

Mids and highs are nice though, better than any other computer speakers I’ve heard, which is what I wanted to use them for.

Top Bottom