• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL One Series 104 Powered Monitor Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir , please , 20hz ... 50hz ... 1k ... 5k etc.
Thanks.
Yeh, I forgot to do it. Pain in the neck to remember to do that manually. I did add it to later charts.

folzag

Preference Rating
SCORE: 1.13
SCORE ignoring LFX: 3.85

Again, rating is made for living rooms, near-field usage is different, so it's not as accurate of a score.
The only way I have been able to think of to adjust for this is to use NBD_LW over NBD_ON, in which case the score ignoring LFX jumps to 4.54. The calculation for PIR would still be off though, throwing off the SM_PIR score.

What does LFX stand for?
Also, is there a thread that specifically deals with these measurements and how to interpret them?

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, is there a thread that specifically deals with these measurements and how to interpret them? Thx.

Amir's first review after obtaining and setting up the Klippel measurement system covers the basics:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/

With each new review, Amir has refined his test methods and presentation of results in response to his own learning and feedback from some very knowledgeable forum members. I recommend reading the subsequent speaker reviews in sequence - I think we're still in single figures.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One thing I found about these speaker is that they have some noise floor, even higher when crank the volume up. Has anyone compared it to other speakers about the noise performance?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I found about these speaker is that they have some noise floor, even higher when crank the volume up. Has anyone compared it to other speakers about the noise performance?

Are you referring to the hiss from the tweeter when you turn the volume up? That's pretty common with powered monitors...

I keep my 104's at around 70% and control the volume from my JDS Atom which keeps the hiss inaudible for me. I don't have to take the Atom volume past 2 o'clock (at low gain) for it to get uncomfortably loud in my small study.

Thunderlips

Are you referring to the hiss from the tweeter when you turn the volume up? That's pretty common with powered monitors...

I keep my 104's at around 70% and control the volume from my JDS Atom which keeps the hiss inaudible for me. I don't have to take the Atom volume past 2 o'clock (at low gain) for it to get uncomfortably loud in my small study.

Neumann monitors have very little to practically no hiss. Devialet Phantom Golds are dead silent.

Mostly cheap monitors hiss.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Yes, the hiss from tweeter. I know it is common but still not good. My creative gigawork T20 II does way better at hiss problem. For jbl 104 I will try to stay at around 30 to 40 percent volume, 70 percent the hiss sound is still too loud.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the hiss from tweeter. I know it is common but still not good. My creative gigawork T20 II does way better at hiss problem. For jbl 104 I will try to stay at around 30 to 40 percent volume, 70 percent the hiss sound is still too loud.

In addition to the hiss, I was getting some hum from the 104's recently which caused me to lower the volume below 50% to make it inaudible. I was worried that I had a ground loop until I realised that i'd moved a DECT cordless phone right next to the right-hand speaker (the one with the amp in it). I moved the phone a couple of feet away and the problem was solved.

Thunderlips

Why is this hiss so common with powered monitors, but not with passive speakers?

Common with cheap monitors mostly... But think about it, the amp is open full gain. So unless it has a great SINAD, it will be hissy. And speakers like this Samsung 104, use the cheapest chip amps they can find.

If you have passive speakers, turn the volume all the way up, without anything playing, and see if you can hear the hiss.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Common with cheap monitors mostly... But think about it, the amp is open full gain. So unless it has a great SINAD, it will be hissy. And speakers like this Samsung 104, use the cheapest chip amps they can find.

If you have passive speakers, turn the volume all the way up, without anything playing, and see if you can hear the hiss.

Yes, most people wouldn't run an integrated amp + passive speakers at full gain and then control the volume elsewhere (e.g. from a DAC).

Top Bottom