• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Jaimo

For those who have good 705/708p's for years, just wondering if you keep the speakers on all the time? Or turn them off when not in use?

I keep my 708P’s powered all the time. Just checked the rear heat sinks and they are slightly warm.

My speakers appear to have some kind of auto shut off feature. I sometimes need to power my speakers down and up after extended periods of no use.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's personal anecdote but I found the reliability of Samsung products to be subpar.
Me too, I have owned 4 items, 3 failed, though the one that didn't is going strong after years, a TV.
No chance of me ever buying anything Samsung again.

Jaimo

Me too, I have owned 4 items, 3 failed, though the one that didn't is going strong after years, a TV.
No chance of me ever buying anything Samsung again.

I do wish my 10 year old Samsung Plasma TV would die. Then I will be “forced” to upgrade to an Oled TV. In truth, Korean appliances and electronics appear to be nowhere as good at Japanese products and you can say the say the same for their autos as well.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
urg. well, one of my 708Ps kicked the bucket this morning :(
Had been randomly going silent... happening more & more frequently. This past week it'd been almost daily. And today.. nada.
Guess I'll chat w/ the reseller and/or JBLPro support. I purchased them used from an authorized dealer (in Jan 2019), so I assume I'm either SOL or the repair costs will be kinda high. Any idea what to expect?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the warranty on them. IIRC, it's 3 or 5 years. Expect a long wait for repair. Mine is sitting around at the repair center for 2 months now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

xyvyx

Forum Donor
and...... my 2nd one died on me. Actually, it did so a couple weeks ago, but has been fine after a powercycle. It's slightly different in that it has been producing some random, audible "pops"... sounds almost like static discharge. I've heard it maybe once every 3 days, tops.
I haven't yet attempted to take in either for service... the first one to fail, my right channel, seems like it'll come back to life if I leave it disconnected for several days. JBL support said I can take it to an authorized shop a few miles from here, but not sure what kind of battle I'll have over cost/warranty/etc.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and...... my 2nd one died on me. Actually, it did so a couple weeks ago, but has been fine after a powercycle. It's slightly different in that it has been producing some random, audible "pops"... sounds almost like static discharge. I've heard it maybe once every 3 days, tops.
I haven't yet attempted to take in either for service... the first one to fail, my right channel, seems like it'll come back to life if I leave it disconnected for several days. JBL support said I can take it to an authorized shop a few miles from here, but not sure what kind of battle I'll have over cost/warranty/etc.

Is it still under warranty? I have done warranty service on two of them and had no issues, except for a long delay on the 2nd one due to COVID which is understandable.

Jaimo

Keep us posted on how you make out with JBL - these reliability issues are very worrying, especially as I assured my wife that my 708P's would be the last pair of speakers I buy for a long time.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Keep us posted on how you make out with JBL - these reliability issues are very worrying, especially as I assured my wife that my 708P's would be the last pair of speakers I buy for a long time.
I fully understand and support your attitude towards the reliability issues with the powered JBL's.
But let this be a lesson to you, never, ever make statements like that to the little women. It will for sure end up biting you in the a-s. ;)

Jaimo

I suppose she knows better than to believe me. I also promised to get rid of the 10 or so pairs of speakers stored in the basement but that hasn’t happened more than a year later.

I could probably swop out the 708p’s with a totally different speaker and doubt that she (bless her heart) will even notice...

auraluxstudio

Reading all these issues with the JBL speakers made me cancel an order today for a pair of 708P's. I wonder what the deal is with JBL? On another note; what would people recommend that would do the 'similar' JBL thing with the wicked phantom center and insanely low distortion?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Reading all these issues with the JBL speakers made me cancel an order today for a pair of 708P's. I wonder what the deal is with JBL? On another note; what would people recommend that would do the 'similar' JBL thing with the wicked phantom center and insanely low distortion?
Genelec's though a bit more expensive.

Jaimo

Just stick with the LSR708i (non powered) - this opens up a myriad of possibilities - Mini-DSP or BSS for the processor and perhaps a couple of Benchmark or Hypex for amps will likely beat the specs of the 708P's

To be fair, my 708P's have performed flawlessly since I purchased them in early 2019

auraluxstudio

Just stick with the LSR708i (non powered) - this opens up a myriad of possibilities - Mini-DSP or BSS for the processor and perhaps a couple of Benchmark or Hypex for amps will likely beat the specs of the 708P's

To be fair, my 708P's have performed flawlessly since I purchased them in early 2019
How do you use the passive ones? I have a Bryston 4B3 amp I would love to use but I am confused by reading people saying you have to use their amp and processor? You mean you cannot use them like a normal powered pair of speakers?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Which model?
Sorry I'm not conversive in their lineup to pull a particular model out of my head.
They have a wide range of monitors along these type/style and AFAIK you can be pretty much guaranteed a top performing product.
Amir was quite impressed with the 8030C when he tested it, you may be interested in something a bit larger though.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/genelec-8030c-studio-monitor-review.14795/
I'm hoping some of our members who are Genelec fans will join in.

Top Bottom