• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 267 92.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL website claims crossover frequencies of 7 khz and 12 khz. Assuming it isn’t a typo… why even have a mid and tweeter at that point (they are barely doing anything). When I saw the driver sizes I was expecting ~1 khz and ~3.5 khz for crossover points.

Is it $1k for the pair? Can’t possibly be $1k per side.
$100 for a pair would be excessive, unless you just love the looks.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Properly doped bextrene cones and careful crossover design back in the mid 70's was very much better than the imported paper coned squawkers and/or screechers we had to try.. We may have lost ground nowadays, but I maintain the UK was well ahead of the game all those years ago, the original 4311/L100 was an absolute joke on speech reproduction...
Yes, the L100 was OK on rock, but pretty poor on anything else.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Where on earth are they sourcing the tweeter and mid-range, a landfill? You can get better results from $5 drivers even if you design the crossover while blindfolded.
Why would put 3 drivers in such a small box anyway? How does a 2" mid make any sense?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would put 3 drivers in such a small box anyway? How does a 2" mid make any sense?
I think it keeps coming down to looking impressive.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High distortion, no bass and chaotic resonances in the treble. The perfect speaker for a headphone enthusiast.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ReDFoX

Wow, that's disgusting...
I have a set of mine amateur measurements of its older "brother" - 4312mkii
1704895773738.png

It was the first system I've measured, so I wouldn't trust these graphs. Anyway, it gives you a hint on what's this "monitor" sounds like... I'm sure something's not right with this unit

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was the first system I've measured, so I wouldn't trust these graphs. Anyway, it gives you a hint on what's this "monitor" sounds like... I'm sure something's not right with this unit
This unit is fine. The 4312 is ~8x the cabinet volume and each driver is 2x the size (the 4313M is a 50% miniature).

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
With the exception of the Price, incredibly broken Frequency response, plethora of resonances, razor sharp beaming and uneven directivity on every plane, gobs of distortion as each driver fights to be the Distortion King. These baby’s aren’t half bad. Half bad would be a major improvement. Maybe they will work as decent tissue dispensers. You will certainly be crying if you bought a pair. So there’s that.

Thanks Amir for another Review. At the very least this review can stand as a testimony to your complete lack of any Bias you may hold as a Dealer for Harman and thus JBL by extension. :cool:

To the kind Member who sent this in for testing. We weep with you Sir. We extend our deepest condolences and thank you for building up the courage to send this to Amir for testing. A sad day for us all!

Last edited:

boxerfan88

A 3-way system with first crossover @ 7kHz, why??

Quite an odd design choice.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A 3-way system with first crossover @ 7kHz, why??

Quite an odd design choice.
Traditional idea for the JBL large woofer monitors. I think the L100 had the woofer up to 4kHz.

uwotm8

These and some other from that vintage-looking line are just terrible scale models pretending to be JBL. AFAIR all Chinese-made are same bad. More expensive Mexican models are better but still far far away from what you'd expect.

L100 are whole different thing at the same time.
2-ways with horns, active and passive, are good or even awesome too.

I will never understand Harman (a Samsung company):rolleyes:

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Traditional idea for the JBL large woofer monitors. I think the L100 had the woofer up to 4kHz.
I believe the 4311 and L100 ran the woofer full range.

Reactions: 617

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, the L100 was OK on rock, but pretty poor on anything else.

The Century L100 was a horror show. I had two pairs over the years.

I tried to like them, I really did. But alongside actual quality loudspeakers, they were raucous, nasty ear bleeding and brutal.

Sure, play some Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles, with a gutful of alcohol and they were fuggin' awesome! But in the sober world, nah.

Mosquito

Attached is a Italian review I stole from one of our members here (sorry forgot who:(), and correlates with Amir’s result quite well. No low pass filter on the woofer?
Measurements correlated quite well, but the text describing wonders in the sound of these disasters is laughable,, due to how distant and opposite to Amir's impressions about the sound of exactly the same product.

Top Bottom