• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeahh Chucho. His intoxicating driving bass an improvisation (listen too his keyboard play the key/ harmonica are of the scale) comes close to Deep House. Did played this a lot in sets with remarkable results :cool:

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1998 was 25 years ago. Wait, what?

The quarter-century, or 25 years ago, 1998, horn-jazz retrospective posted 27 albums now, so ~half-a-year for weekly ‘purchasers.’ Here’s ~half-way favorites, as there’s about the same number of albums to go. Two albums posted Tuesdays should make it by year’s end. FYI, these are all quality jazz. This retrospective posts albums that I enjoy, and rejected those that I did not. YMMV.

Eric Alexander Mode For Mabes might be my favorite, but it’s a tough call. Joanne Brackeen Pink Elephant Magic, Arturo Sandoval Hot House, Sonny Rollins Global Warming, Red Records All-Stars Together Again For The First Time and Gerald Wilson Theme For Monterey are also stand-outs from a strong list.

FYI, here's a link to the post below (to the future :eek:) where I discuss the exact same thing about the concurrent albums from 1973 retrospective. :cool:

Here’s links to posts upthread about the 27 albums from 1998:

Previous 1998s (link upthread). Grammys: Instrumental, Herbie Hancock Gershwin’s World; Big Band, Count Basie Orch Count Plays Duke; Latin, Arturo Sandoval Hot House. And: Joanne Brackeen Pink Elephant Magic; Don Sebesky I Remember Bill; Erik Truffaz The Dawn; Phil Woods The Rev And I; Charlie Mariano An American In Italy; Joshua Redman Timeless Tales…; David Sanchez Obesion; Patrick Williams Sinatraland; Eric Alexander Mode For Mabes; Maceo Parker Funk Overload; Yellowjackets Club Nocturne; Mark Turner; Brian Blade Fellowship; Bennie Maupin Driving While Black; Julien Lourau City Boom Boom; Poncho Sanchez Afro-Cuban Fantasy; Dave Holland Points Of View; Tom Harrell The Art Of Rhythm; Red Records All Stars Together Again...; Chris Potter Vertigo; Lee Konitz Dialogues; Dave Brubeck So What’s New; Gerald Wilson Theme For Monterey; Sonny Rollins Global Warming.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 103054.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's another album for Tuesday 25, horn-jazz albums from 1998, 25 years or a quarter-century ago.

Allmusic: “In Carterian Fashion, differs from his earlier ones in that James Carter (who switches between tenor, soprano and baritone sax, and bass clarinet) is joined by one of three organists (Henry Butler, Cyrus Chestnut and his regular pianist Craig Taborn) instead of piano. Carter’s... fiery explosions and colorful tonal distortions really stand out.” 8 other players guest throughout the album.

This was James’ ~7th of ~19 albums since 1991, and he’s a busy sideman. This one will probably be on the final favorites from 1998 list. See the post above for links to posts about 27 more fine horn-jazz albums from 1998. :cool:

James Carter, In Carterian Fashion, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

jamescarter.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
How about another nice album from 1998, 25 years or a half-century ago.

Allmusic: “The inventive drummer Roy Haynes sets a few fires on this exciting disc, Praise. With full brass complement by David Sanchez on tenor, Kenny Garrett on alto and soprano, and Graham Hayes on flugelhorn and cornet, Roy Haynes lays a textured and complex rhythm… The various band configurations, from drum solo to trio to septet, make for a varied and colorful album.” Dwayne Burno plays bass and Dave Kikoski piano.

This was his ~25th of >35 albums as a leader since 1954. His 2004 album Fountain Of Youth was recommended upthread, with a video. See the 2 posts above for abuncha more really nice horn-jazz albums from 1998.

Roy Haynes, Praise, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

praise.jpg

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's some new music, after all that 'old' stuff I recommended above.

JWVibe: “What started out as a conversation between two top Latin pianists about a fresh way to collaborate evolved into a high-octane battle of the bands blowout. A collection that fuses alternately sultry and boisterous pieces, tastefully and dynamically arranged by the Cuban based Santiago Big Band, led by Marcos A. Fernandez, and the NYC based Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra, led by Arturo O’Farrill. A full immersion into the 12 tracks yields a sense of spirited yet meaningful, tempo shifting conversations between the ensembles.”

Pianist Arturo O'Farrill's recent album, Fandango at the Wall in New York, recommended upthread with 2 videos, won the 2023 Grammy Award for Best Latin Jazz Album. This is his ~18th album release, since 1999, with now ~6 Grammy wins and 3 more nominations. He played on Michael Mossman's The Orisha Suite, recommended upthread. :cool:

Santiago Big Band & Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra, Santiago Brooklyn Santiago, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

santiago.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's another fun new album.

JazzSensibilities: “In Rule of Thirds, saxophonist Alex Weitz isn’t alone in his pursuit of musical expression; he’s joined by his entrusted quartet: pianist Tal Cohen, bassist Ben Tiberio, and drummer Michael Piolet, and guest artists… Together, they craft a sound that’s not only reflective of today’s modern colors and structures, but also rooted in the jazz traditions.”

This is Alex’s ~3rd album since 2019. He is a producer of the “Live At Emmett’s Place” YouTube jazz streams. The YT link has 7 of the 9 songs performed live in the studio. The video below is the 1st album tune, with Emmett Cohen on piano.

Alex Weitz, Rule Of Thirds, full album: YouTube link ;
Spotify link

weitz.png

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
JazzViews: “Antares is the World Citizen Band’s new album. It’s filled with impassioned playing and its members come from all over the world. Saxophonist Uri Gurvich comes from Israel. Argentina is home to guitarist Ramiro Olaciregui. Pianist Marcos Merino is from Spain. Founding member on bass, Kenneth Dahl Knudsen, is from Denmark. And Costa Rica is home to drummer Rodolfo Zuniga.

The music was inspired by McCoy Tyner, Brad Melhdau, and Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers… The essence of those greats is here but World Citizen Band is very much their own band with a very modern sound.”

This is their 2nd album, since 2019. The video is a concert performance of an album tune. :cool:

World Citizen Band, Antares, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

antares.png

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
1973 was 50 years ago. Wait, what?

The half-century, or 50 years ago, 1973, horn-jazz retrospective posted 26 albums now, so half-a-year for weekly ‘purchasers.’ Here’s ~half-way favorites, as there’s about the same number of albums to go. Two albums posted Fridays should make it by year’s end. FYI, these are all quality jazz. This retrospective posts albums that I enjoy, and rejected those that I did not. YMMV.

When Grover blows, he’s #1, but an unranked top 5 ~is Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box, Don Ellis Soaring, Joe Henderson Multiple, The Crusaders The 2nd Crusade and Weather Report Sweetnighter. And a whole buncha others that are also awesome jazz. What a year for jazz!

FYI, here's a link to the post above where I discuss the exact same thing about the concurrent albums from 1998 retrospective. :cool:

Here’s links to posts upthread about the 26 albums from 1973:

Previous 1973s (link upthread): Dave Brubeck We’re All Together Again...; Gato Barbieri Bolivia; Elvin Jones Mr. Jones; Donald Byrd Black Byrd; Dave Liebman 1st Visit; Don Ellis Soaring; Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box; Hank Crawford Wildflower; Ron Carter All Blues; Return to Forever Light As A Feather & Hymn Of The 7th Galaxy; Flora Purim Butterfly Dreams; Steve Grossman Some Shapes To Come; Archie Shepp The Cry Of My People; Dave Holland Conference Of The Birds; Gary Bartz I've Known Rivers...; Joe Henderson Multiple; Don Sebesky Giant Box; Fela Kuti Gentleman; Chuck Mangione Land Of Make Believe; Crusaders 2nd Crusade; Freddie Hubbard Keep Your Soul Together; Weather Report Sweetnighter; Ray Barretto The Other Road; Gil Evans Svengali; Stanley Turrentine Don’t Mess With Mr. T.

The Grateful Dead and McIntosh gave us the wall of sound in 1973:

wall of sound.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
The characterization of this 1973 retrospective as ‘horn-jazz’ above, requires mention of this big band album.

Allmusic: “Superbly funky big-band jams that work uncommonly well as soundtracks for cruise-control freeway driving, thanks in large part to electric bassist Dave Markee, drummer Randy Jones, baritone saxophonist Bruce Johnstone, and trumpeter Maynard Ferguson's wild brass section.”

This was Maynard’s ~30th of >50 albums from 1955-2001. Maynard had a busy 1973, as he also released M.F. Horn #4 & #5, which will be posted in the future.

The video is ~1977, with a young Peter Erskine on drums, before Jaco Pastorius recommended him to Joe Zawinul for Weather Report. Aptly, the tune is ‘Birdland, ' but not from this album. Maynard’s bands were always a youth movement, which is displayed here.

See the post right above for 26 more cool jazz albums from 1973. :cool:

Maynard Ferguson, M.F. Horn 3, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

mfhorn3.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Another from 1973. How about one from an artist who often blows abuncha horns all-at-once.

Allmusic: “This is perhaps saxophonist Rahsaan Roland Kirk's most experimental recording in that it involves his most involved performing on multiple horns and flutes -- including his infamous and wonderful nose flute… Despite the beauty of the album's first three tracks, with various small ensembles, it is on the closer, the 21 minute ‘Saxophone Concerto,’ where Kirk most leaves his mark as a composer and innovator… The band is 16 pieces total, and the concerto is structured in movements… There are numerous metaphors and metonyms here, but they will not come to the listener until later, when she or he regains the conscious notion of breathing.”

This was Kirk’s ~20th of ~27 albums from 1956-’76. This is nice because it is experimental but not free jazz. The video is a performance for the 1969 British documentary film 'Supershow', which has neat history. “The Conscious Notion Of Breathing” and "Metaphors and Metonyms" should both be album titles...

See the 2 posts above for links to posts about 27 more nice albums from 1973.

:eek: Noticed this my 500th post, so I am now ‘Addicted To Fun And Learning.’ What I am is a ‘new music’ junky, which is why you folks get this constant spew of the mainly new to me albums, both current and classic, I explore and enjoy. I’ve now recommended 402 albums, not all jazz, btw. But nothing beats good sax, as illustrated by... :cool:

Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

kirk.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
A plethora of nice new big band albums have recently been posted, and here’s another, with a few more on deck for posts soon.

AllAboutJazz: “The WDR Big Band’s latest recording, on which it is paired with the esteemed Florida-based composer and arranger Chuck Owen, offers another master class in big-band artistry, or how to make even the most arduous charts seem deceptively simple… An excellent showcase for the author and orchestra.” The video is an in-studio performance of a relaxed album tune, a bit long, but nice.

Hmm, I recommend the WDR Big Band a lot. Here’s a post about Christmas Holiday music, with more band background info. Here’s their 2022 albums Center Stage, Grammy-nominated with drummer Steve Gadd & bassist Eddie Gomez, also Samba Jazz Odyssey, and 2021s Grammy-nominated Jackets XL, with the Yellowjackets. :cool:

Chuck Owen & The WDR Big Band, Renderings, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

renderings.png

Last edited:

BenjaminB

Well, there was some discussion regarding sax and organ .... here some further suggestions

Folder.jpg

this was a formidalbe success, consequently there is a follow-up

Folder.jpg

if you just want to listen ... spotify, yt, and all the others are your friends!
(btw, good luck with the ö:s etc :) )

sax and (a real) organ is a very interesting combo. Not all can do that, obviously.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Tuesdays are for jazz albums from 1998, 25 years ago, yeah, a quarter-century.

Allmusic: “Swiss alto saxophonist George Robert … recruited alto saxophonist Phil Woods, pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Ray Drummond, and Phil's drummer Bill Goodwin. Robert composed 5 of the songs, Woods 2. All 5 men are to be commended for their contributions to this highly recommended CD.”

This was Robert’s ~10th of ~19 albums since 1987. From 1987-’92 he co-lead a quintet with trumpeter Tom Harrell, whose album The Art Of Rhythm, and Phil Woods' The Rev And I, were posted as part of this 1998 retrospective.

Scroll up this page to see posts and links to 29 more neat albums from this 1998 retrospective, plus a 1973 retrospective, and some new jazz. :cool:

George Robert & Phil Woods, The Summit, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

thesummit.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's a 2nd album from 25 years ago, 1998, yes, a quarter-century.

Henri Texier is an outstanding French bassist who has concentrated most of his activity in his native land, and has released ~36 albums since 1976. I can’t find many specifics about his 1998 album Mosaic Man, his ~19th release. Nice modern jazz, with neat horn-work, a bit on the cool side.

Sébastien Texier (Henri’s son - nice job!) on alto/clarinet, Glenn Ferris trombone, Bojan Zulfikarpasic piano, and Tony Rabeson on drums complete the ‘Azur Quintet.’

Scroll up this page to see posts and links to 30 more neat albums from this 1998 retrospective, plus a 1973 retrospective, and some new jazz. :cool:

Henry Texier, Mosaic Man, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

mosaicman.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom