• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
1678577284065.png

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From AllAboutJazz: "Scottish trumpeter Malcolm Strachan, releases his second album of original material, Point Of No Return. A member of the Haggis Horns (a funk band) since 2007, he has been in high demand as a session musician and played with such artists as Amy Winehouse, Jamiroquai and Lou Donaldson...

A standout set of classic acoustic jazz with a vintage feel that might take you back to the 1960s and the days of hard bop... Strachan, whose style owes a lot to Freddie Hubbard, shares the solos out pretty evenly. Atholl Ransome on tenor sax and Danny Barley on trombone offer excellent support with inventive solos and George Cooper on the piano is impressive and creates interest and texture whenever he plays.

The most compelling aspect of the album? The high quality of the compositions. All the tracks are melodic and trying to choose a stand-out is hard... Highly recommended."

The video is a hot funk tune with Strachan in the Haggis Horns. C'mon, ya gotta love a band called the Haggis Horns! Please enjoy a fine 2023 jazz album. :cool:

Malcolm Strachan, Point Of No Return, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

strachan.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's one from 2014 that earned a big band Grammy nomination. From AllAboutJazz: "Intrada is composer / arranger Dave Slonaker's ... initial big-band recording. Rest assured this is a world-class ensemble and there's no doubt whose steady hand is at the helm: Slonaker wrote every number save one and arranged the complete package.

Slonaker is ... a composer, arranger and orchestrator in films and television. Credits include Spider-Man, Air Force One, A Night at the Museum, J.A.G. and Murder She Wrote. He also teaches at USC and the Eastman School of Music, while his jazz works have been performed by Clark Terry, Woody Herman and Count Basie.

This is big-band jazz that quickens the pulse, swings hard and enhances the tradition... Each of the inspired compositions provides a malleable springboard for the ensemble's resourceful soloists... There's no point in singling out any particular song for immoderate praise, as every one is outstanding, as is the ensemble... Well done!"

The videos are nice studio performances of album tunes. Slonaker's latest big band release, Convergency, was recommended upthread, here. Please enjoy a nice big band blast from the not so distant past. :cool:

Dave Slonaker Big Band, Intrada, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

intrada.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Since I posted about this year's Grammy jazz nominees upstream, I've perused previous Grammy winners & nominees to find new, to me, music. From Wikipedia: "Crossroads is an album by the American musician Jerry Gonzalez, released in 1994, with his Fort Apache Band. The album was nominated for a Grammy Award, in the 'Best Latin Jazz Performance' category. The Times Colonist called the band 'the world's premier Latin jazz group,' and praised the 'great writing, dynamic soloing ... thoughtful arranging, and fiery rhythmic grounding.'"

The video is a studio performance of a 1991 tune from a 2014 film, Calle 54, with a Grammy nominated soundtrack, which featured Latin Jazz performances. A bit more bop than Latin, kinda like the recommended album. Please enjoy a nice jazz album. :cool:

Jerry Gonzalez and the Fort Apache Band, Crossroads, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

crossroads.jpg

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought CD version of this ~1990 and there are two issues with it: the CDs suffer from the 80's HF glare and the music is mixed not in album by album format. The music however is FANTASTIC. So if want this, get a later version, so you won't be sorry.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Here's the 1999 Best Latin Jazz Performance Grammy Award winner, Arturo Sandoval's Hot House. From Allmusic: "The man has trumpeted with Cuba's Modern Music Orchestra and Diz' United Nations band. He'll quote a Tadd Dameron tune in the middle of a mambo. He flugelhorns over a tune he calls, 'Funky Cha-Cha.' Do the world a favor and listen to Arturo Sandoval and his band as they blaze through this assembly of jazzed Cuban dance rhythms. From minor ballad to up-tempo hip shaker, this music feels great."

The video is a concert performance of the title track, with decent sound. His recent album Rhythm & Soul, was nominated for a 2023 Grammy, and was posted about upthread, here. Please enjoy a deserved Grammy winner. :cool:

Arturo Sandoval, Hot House, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

hothouse.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Sammy Nestico is a big band legend, who passed in 2021. From Wikipedia: "He began working as an arranger for Count Basie in 1967, and continued to provide arrangements for Basie until Basie's death in 1984, and 4 collaborations earned Grammy Awards. During his career, Nestico composed, arranged, or conducted albums for musicians and singers including Quincy Jones, Phil Collins and Barbra Streisand. He worked on over 70 TV and film projects, including Mission: Impossible, Mannix, M*A*S*H, Charlie's Angels, The Mod Squad and The Color Purple."

He did ~5 albums with the SWR Big Band of Stuttgart, Germany, from 2005 to 2017. The 2009 album Fun Time earned a Grammy nomination, and is a nice example of Sammy's arrangements, wonderfully recorded.

The videos are live performances from the album. Sadly fuzzy video, but the sound is actually YT wonderful. Please enjoy big band, arranged and conducted by a master. :cool:

Sammy Nestico and the SWR Big Band, Fun Time, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

funtime.jpg

Last edited:

thecheapseats

mono, pops and clicks - don't care... all my jazz/old vinyl which I listened to and collected since I was a kid - 50s, 60s, barely the 70s - even in their deprecated vinyl state from years of playing, still gives me chills... these luminaries were my heroes... still are...

Top Bottom