• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
IMG_0907.jpeg

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Saxophonist Kenny Garret’s 2013 album Pushing The World Away earned a Grammy Best Instrumental Jazz Album nomination. Allmusic: “Pushing the World Away is a wildly diverse offering for Garrett. It reveals intricacies, shadows, impressive arrangements, and striking musicianship.”

Featured musicians include keyboardists Vernell Brown and Benito Gonzalez, percussionist Rudy Bird, bassist Corcoran Holt and drummers Marcus Baylor and McClenty Hunter. :cool:

Kenny Garrett, Pushing The World Away, full album: YouTube link.
Spotify link.

pushing.jpg

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Doin’ another album recommendation from 1973, i.e., a half-century ago. The 1st was Dave Brubeck’s We’re All Together Again For The First Time, upthread here, and the 2nd was Gato Barbieri’s Bolivia, upthread here. Will post these on Fridays, as 'Friday 50s', albums that are 50 years old.

Elvin Jones, famous as John Coltrane’s drummer from 1960-65, had a long solo career, and by 1973s Mr. Jones, he had released ~20 albums. From RTE: “Mr Jones, is an intriguing… post-bop listening experience. Querulous and questing, and still fresh-sounding. Joined by Thad Jones on flugelhorn, Dave Liebman on flute, Steve Grossman on soprano sax, Jan Hammer on piano, and Gene Perla on bass.”

Ah, yes, vinyl album lengths. It’s a really nice 38 minutes. And you don’t have to flip sides, these days. Please enjoy. :cool:

Elvin Jones, Mr. Jones, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

jones.jpg

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm older than dirt. I got started with my folks' Louis Armstrong and Fats Waller albums. In the past year I've finally gotten around to listening to 3 artists I should have been listening to 50 years ago: Lennie Tristano, Ahmad Jamal, and Art Pepper. I'm ashamed. I still get excited listening to the Louis Armstrong Hot 5 and Hot 7 recordings, and equally excited by John Coltrane.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Tenor saxophonist Bob Mintzer’s 2016 album All L.A. Big Band propels itself right along, to a Grammy nomination. Trumpeter Wayne Bergron, altoist Bob Sheppard and drummer Peter Erskine help.

Sheesh, this guy has ~37 albums, many of them big band, plus ~26 with The Yellowjackets, since 1981. ‘Prolific’ seems too understated. 2 recent Grammy-nominated Yellowjackets albums were recommended upthread here and here, with videos. Please enjoy some nice big band jazz. :cool:

Bob Mintzer, All L.A. Big Band, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

LABigBand.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
British saxophonist Tim Garland has a new duo album with pianist Jason Rebello, Life To Life. AllAboutJazz: “This is a flawlessly executed album and shows that a meeting of musical spirits together with learning ‘from experience’ can be wonderfully productive.”

Their ‘experience.’ This is Garland’s ~20th album since 1988. He’s played with Chick Corea, Bill Bruford and John Dankworth. Rebello has ~10 releases since 1990, and had long stints with Sting and Jeff Beck. Both have numerous session credits.

The video is the first album tune, live. Not a brash album, but carries nice energy. Please enjoy. :cool:

Jason Rebello & Tim Garland, Life To Life, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

garland.jpg

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Let’s recommend another from 1998, 25 years ago, the 7th in a now ‘Tuesday 25’ series.

The 1st 6, (title links to upthread post): Joanne Brackeen Pink Elephant Magic; Don Sebesky I Remember Bill: A Tribute To Bill Evans; Erik Truffaz The Dawn; Phil Woods The Rev And I; Arturo Sandoval, Grammy for Best Latin Jazz Album Hot House; Herbie Hancock, Grammy for Best Instrumental Jazz Album Gershwin’s World.

Saxophonist Charlie Mariano’s An American In Italy is a fine example of him straight-ahead, late career. A quartet date with 3 Italian musicians, although Discogs is otherwise sparse. Ballady, but Charlie is really good at those. A long post on Charlie’s history and his 4 duo albums with fellow altoist Sadao Watanabe is upthread here.

Please enjoy a nice album from one of my favorite jazz artists. :cool:

Charlie Mariano, An American In Italy, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

in italy.jpg

Top Bottom