• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I've owned speakers by.....

ErVikingo

Note in chronological order:

AR3a
Dahlquist DQ10
Mirage M3 and M1 (M3's are at dad's house still)
Infinity IRS Beta (my main speakers)
Aerial 8b (on my secondary system(
Cambridge Soundworks (on the surround system)
Snell Acoustics (on the surround system)
Realistic (in the garage/workshop)
Monitor Audio (whole house audio)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note in chronological order:

AR3a
Dahlquist DQ10
Mirage M3 and M1 (M3's are at dad's house still)
Infinity IRS Beta (my main speakers)
Aerial 8b (on my secondary system(
Cambridge Soundworks (on the surround system)
Snell Acoustics (on the surround system)
Realistic (in the garage/workshop)
Monitor Audio (whole house audio)

DQ10s - cool!

IRS Beta - wow!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Matt! Thanks for asking, and good questions.

B&Ws: DM330s handed down from my father; then CDM1SEs I bought myself, followed by CDM1NTs I found used for a great price, and finally original-gen 705s, used for an even better deal. DM330 to CDM1SE was biggest single step up, but 705s were easily the best of the bunch (cleaner mids, much better tweeter, better imaging), and I loved them. Their limitations were obvious, but they have decent directivity so it was easy to EQ down their treble boost, and their room reinforced bass was good enough for enjoyable listening. They were a bit flat-sounding and underwhelming with some material, but never sounded bad or "off" with anything, so really easy to live with once I got them placed and EQ'd to my liking.

Genelecs: 8351s, best speakers I've ever had (and they damn well should be given the price - yikes). Frequency response: more linear than the 705s, and their bass F3 is an octave lower. More energy, impact, and control around the 50Hz kick drum area, and no excess energy around the 80-150Hz area. (Probably why some folks say Genelecs sound lean/bright - they have no mid-bass hump.) Imaging: strongest suit of the 705s, especially the phantom center. But the Genelecs clearly exceed them even there - super-strong phantom center, and at all image locations the Genelecs provide enhanced perception of air/ambience if it's in the recording, or more in-your-face flatness or presence if that's what's in the recording. Soundstage: more or less same width as the 705s, but the Genelecs throw out a modestly taller image, even though I'm pretty sure their concentric drivers are physically lower than the 705s' tweeters. Depth is superior on the Genelecs, mostly because the superior imaging cues enhance the illusion. Distortion: Genelecs very obviously cleaner - that air/presence at different image locations must be at least in part from lower distortion, as is the tighter, more linear-sounding bass. Plus physics, measurements, and common sense tell us there's no way a 20 year-old, 2-way design with a single 6.5" midwoofer built to a $1500 price point is going to compete with the 8351s on distortion performance, especially below a few hundred Hz.

Between the 705s and the 8351s, I had my father's Infinity Kappa 9s as my main speakers for a couple of months. So...

Genelecs vs Kappa 9s: Much more apples and oranges. Frequency response: Kappas have more potential (2x12" woofers per speaker vs two 4x8.5" for each Genelec), but in-room measurements show the 8351s getting to within about 5Hz of the Kappas. Perceptually, bass is different in a way I find hard to describe, but functionally the same/as good at my 75-85dB @3M (aka 85-95dB @1M) typical listening levels. Midrange - both are excellent but Genelecs sound cleaner and smoother. Treble - the Kappas are excellent in some respects but suffer from sibilance, and I've struggled mightily to EQ that down while preserving satisfying perception of treble detail/energy/air. So the Genelecs stomp all over the Kappas in this area, as the Genelecs are smooth and detailed throughout. Imaging: Kappas are less precise than the Genelecs (and that's with Dirac correcting speaker gain and impulse response for the Kappas), but I would not describe the Kappas as deficient, and one can clearly identify the locations of everything with the Kappas. Soundstage: Same width for both, but Kappas win on height, which makes sense since at least 3 of their drivers, covering upper-mid and treble frequencies, are positioned up to a foot higher than the Genelecs' drivers. Depth is similar for both. Distortion: I have less confidence in my subjective impressions on this, but that said the Genelecs just sound cleaner and smoother overall, especially above 1kHz. Speaking of which, the Genelecs sound more cohesive: 4x concentric drivers in a 3-way design seem to work better than 7x drivers arrayed as far as 3 feet apart from each other, even at 3M listening distance.

Overall I'd describe the Kappas as dramatic and the Genelecs as accurate. If you give me uniformly well-recorded music that specifically has no vocal sibilance, no prominent brass, and no prominent electric guitar harmonics, and ask me to listen for 15-20 minutes at fairly high volume - like for example putting on the first couple of tracks from Dark Side of the Moon and just cranking it - I'll probably pick the Kappas.

But if you give me my full music library, with lots of different genres and lots of well-recorded but sonically varying material, and you ask me to listen for 30, 60, or 120 minutes at a time, at a variety of of low, medium and high volume levels, day in and day out, then I'm picking the Genelecs, no contest.

Finally, I should note that I prefer slightly narrower dispersion, and I prefer precision over envelopment to the extent that I have to choose. I love the drama of wide dispersion and a huge image, but for me it's like dessert: I always think about it and always look forward to it, but I can only actually enjoy it in limited portions, and after that the same qualities that I loved become excessive and unappealing to me.

Thanks for taking the time. I really enjoyed reading your impressions.

Wow, those Genelecs are pricey! Definitely the more expensive model than the one I listened to recently (which was around $1,400 CAD, if I recall correctly).

I plan to drop down to my local pro shop again and listen to some more powered monitors.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for taking the time. I really enjoyed reading your impressions.

Wow, those Genelecs are pricey! Definitely the more expensive model than the one I listened to recently (which was around $1,400 CAD, if I recall correctly).

I plan to drop down to my local pro shop again and listen to some more powered monitors.

Yes, they are stupid expensive in the US. In the EU it looks like one can get them for about 25% less, which is still expensive but not necessarily crazy given the quality, the built-in amplification, and so on.

Still, after several years of reading and learning, Genelecs are where I landed as the speakers I wanted to try to make my forever speakers. And on the bright side, for a long time I despaired at having to save up for the 8361s... until I read some glowing reports here from folks who'd been able to audition the 8351s, and then remembered that Amir's SPL graphs in his reviews are for a single speaker rather than a stereo pair (meaning 2x 8351s would be sufficient for my needs SPL-wise).

Given that you can get a killer Purifi or Nilai power amp for $1000 these days and a MiniDSP SHD for $1300, that leaves a US buyer about $6000 for a pair of passive speakers, and I'm sure you can do as well as, or maybe better than, the 8351s for that, depending on your preferences. Heck, maybe you get a pair of Wharfedale Lintons with stands for $2k or less and you're all set for essentially the same price of a single 8351b (in the US).

But as I wrote above, I've always preferred a more studio-monitor experience with narrower dispersion and a sound field that I feel is in front of me rather than enveloping me. It occurs to me that my favorite speakers - admittedly factoring in aesthetics and emotional attachment, but still mostly about sound quality - have always been standmounts. So for me personally, these make sense as a "life is short, I only get to live once, and I want to enjoy these things hopefully for many years while my hearing is still in good shape" purchase. Plus I saved about $2500 compared to the 8361s, and unlike those I can actually lift these speakers - so I view that as a nod to practicality. :)

I also considered the KEF LS60, which is a very nice all-in-one package available for about $1500 less than a pair of 8351s plus GLM. But I tried a pair of LS50Ws back in early 2019, and I really didn't like them and returned them almost immediately. I'm sure the then-atrocious KEF software is much improved now, and perhaps the unacceptable jump in the speaker's self-hiss when selecting the wi-fi/Airplay input has been solved or was an issue with the particular pair I got. And I would assume the LS60s sound better than the 50s I auditioned, especially if the "meta" tech is at work inside the 60s. But I wasn't impressed at the time, and the relatively modest cost savings over the Genelecs wasn't nearly enough to make me willing to go back to that particular well.

There was Neumann of course, but I liked the concentric driver design of the Genelecs, didn't want to pay more than $10k for 420s, and didn't want to get 310s since they currently don't have built-in DSP (and I didn't want to look at horizontal speakers for the rest of my life). Similarly. the Dutch & Dutch 8c's look amazing, but they're, what, $14k a pair? The Messanovic RTM10s are intriguing, but the Genelecs are proven and the price is about the same.

At the end of the day, for my preferences, it just seemed like the viable lower-priced alternatives weren't lower enough in price to make me want to get them instead of the Genelecs; and the possibly superior higher priced alternatives were more money than I wanted to spend (about 75% more for D&D 8c's; 25% more for Neumann 420s, or 60% more for that amazing half-off deal on Salon2's that a member posted about here recently). It might seem nuts to describe the 8351s in terms of value proposition, but be that as it may, they ended up being the value sweet-spot speakers for me, all things considered.

Last edited:

Barrelhouse Solly

Chronological order, more or less starting 1965. I actually remember some model numbers.
Fisher--single 3 way acoustic suspension for mono system
ADC 303AX
Boston Acoustics
Cambridge Soundworks--New Ensemble, Ensemble 4, 10" subwoofer, satellite/rear whose model numbers I cant remember, and computer speakers with sub woofer
Polk satellite and center channel whose model numbers I can't remember--current L/R 3.1 system
2 Monoprice 12" subwoofers (for separate rooms)
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NHT
B&W
Bose
Silverline Audio
Dynaudio
Elac
Revel
Focal
Dennis Murphy (custom)
Syng Cell
Perlisten
JTR
Genelec
Neumann

saberger0357

AR
Allison
Klipsch
Rogers
KLH
Boston Acoustics
EPI/Epicure
Bozak
JBL

These are the most recent. I'm sure I'm forgetting several.

Michou

This is a little test of your memories

The first set of separate speakers I owned were by Yamaha in the '80's and my addiction began, although I had an extended sabbatical ~20 years from hi-fi when I got into computers. Logitech of all companies was the catalyst that got me back into speakers although i'm sure some of you own speakers that are worth more than all of mine combined over the years. I include subwoofers as separate speakers

So here's the list:

Yamaha (X2)
Akai
Paisley Research (X2)
Acoustic Authority
Sony
Altec Lansing
Logitech (X4)
Klipsch
Edifier
Audioengine (X2)
M-Audio
Corsair
Paradigm (X2)
Kanto
Philips
Akai
Elipson
Goodmans
Celestion
B&W X2
JBL X3
Allison
KEF
Mission
Polk
Morel
Silverline
Acoustic Research
JM Lab/Focal
Tannoy X2
Sony

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bohlender Graebener
Dutch & Dutch
Genesis
JBL
KEF
Martin Logan
Niles
Polk Audio
SVS
Tannoy
Yamaha

For anything other than background listening, it's all been rubbish other than the D&D, KEFs, and the SVS subwoofers.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
NHT
B&W
Bose
Silverline Audio
Dynaudio
Elac
Revel
Focal
Dennis Murphy (custom)
Syng Cell
Perlisten
JTR
Genelec
Neumann
What speakers did Dennis do for you ? .. I've got a ( the ) pair of his emotiva b1 mods

ErVikingo

Bohlender Graebener
Dutch & Dutch
Genesis
JBL
KEF
Martin Logan
Niles
Polk Audio
SVS
Tannoy
Yamaha

For anything other than background listening, it's all been rubbish other than the D&D, KEFs, and the SVS subwoofers.
If I may ask, which Genesis did you use to own?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may ask, which Genesis did you use to own?
Ones designed by Arnie during the very early years of the company. I cannot remember the model number - 5.2s perhaps? They were shiny, black, and weird.

The crossover of one speaker went bad, allowing low frequencies to go to the weird dome midrange. It blew and could not be replaced. Genesis speakers from the era before Gary Koh bought the company are no longer supported at all.

I sold both the working speaker and the busted one to a buyer who intended to harvest them for parts that he would export to the Far East, where Genesis speakers are more popular.

Good riddance. The speakers were very finicky and unreliable. I liked the "air" of the kapton round ribbon tweeter, but half of what I played on those speakers sounded weird.

EDIT: I did not have the 5.2s. I may have had Genesis V Series 2s? I don't remember and would prefer not to refresh my recollection of that overpriced, silly junk.

Last edited:

ErVikingo

I don't remember and would prefer not to refresh my recollection of that overpriced, silly junk.
ha ha ha. Reminds me of melting crossovers on the DQ-10

saberger0357

Presently

IMG-8490.jpg

Shiva

Altec 604’s
Magnepan 1.6
Audio Physic Tempo 3
Klipsch Epic CF3

Top Bottom