• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose passive speaker for my desk

ercapoccia

I'm a noob here and i don't have any experience with an audiophile setup.
The best "speaker" i own is my Yamaha Clavinova CLP775 digital piano in the living room and it sounds really nice for my ear. In my home office i have a pair of Edifier 1280DB connected to the minipc via a SMSL C200 DAC. I got the DAC a week ago, before i was using Bluetooth. 95% of the time at home i use headphones i have the Sony WH-1000MX4 when i need to move around and the Sennheiser HD 560S for the piano and now also when i work at the desk.
I need to replace my super old Sony MHC-551 at the office desk and i'm looking for a good pair of passive speaker in the $300/$400 range. I've already ordered from Amazon an SMSL AO300 DAC/AMP, i have a minipc also there and USB is the only digital output i can use. Both HDMI ports are used for the monitors.
I need a pair of good passive speaker for nearfield listening, most of the time as background when i work, low to mid volume. Il put the speakers on two stands on the desk. I'll probably also get the miniDSP Umik-1 to adjust the EQ. No subwoofer for now, maybe in the future. I'm looking for speaker not tiring, i'll keep the music as background all day when i'm there.

The more i read the review the more i got unsure. Some candidate that i found are:
- Kanto YU5,25 passive (but in italy are expensive)
- Q Acustic 3010i/20/30 the difference in price is minimal, which one should i looking for?
- Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 or smaller
- Dali Spektor 2

What am i missing? Am i on the rigth track?

dmilller

The Edifier S3000Pro will sound better than the amp you ordered plus speakers. In your price range powered nearfield is the tech to beat.

I assume the S3000 Pro is nearfield. I have the older S3000

OP
E

ercapoccia

Thank you for your suggestion, i'm not sure how well will they perform at low volume in a nearfield situation.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@ercapoccia , may be you can use the same settings than my computer.
You can buy an Edifier kit with the beafier amplifier.
Then you replace the 2 front speakers with a pair of Focal Sib Evo.
zel6.jpg

The Edifier hardware brings you the computer interface (optical spdif in my case), the volume control and audio I/O.
With a little EQ on the computer the Focal speakers are providing a good sound quality for little space occupied on the desk.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My mancave/attic old school passive speakers setup IMF Compact II, Vandersteen model 1 making use of partly room treathment an DSP room correction it sounds like a controlle room.:cool:
IMG_20231014_195145.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom