• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I've owned speakers by.....

Keith_W

Major Contributor
30 years in audio!

First "serious" system: Mission 760i speakers, NAD 3020i integrated amp, Marantz CD52 CD player, Sony cassette Walkman. It was assembled from reading reviews in "What Hi-Fi". Hey, I was young, inexperienced, and didn't know any better. It was a MASSIVE step up from computer speakers and I was deliriously happy. I literally listened to my entire music collection (at the time, consisting of a paltry 10 CD's and maybe 50 cassettes) over and over again.

I moved up from that a few years later to Audio Definition speakers (an Australian brand, now defunct) + Pioneer A400 amp + Sony XB940 SACD player. I was very happy with this combination and it kept me occupied for 10 years.

Next step up was Proac D38 + Cary CAD-211 power amp + Cary SLP-05 preamp + Cary CD306 SACD player. I finally fulfilled my long ambition to move to valve amps and not to mention scratch the Proac itch. I can not objectively tell you why they sound so good, it might have something to do with the 100Hz bass bump and the emphasized midrange that makes them easy to listen to. To this day, this is still my preferred target curve. Sadly I never had a chance to measure them so that I know exactly how to replicate it, so I am guided by online published measurements instead.

Then on to my current speakers, which I have owned for 15 years: Acapella High Violon which has been converted to active and driven by 4 different amps + Rythmik subwoofers, with a PC as the source. It was at this point where I started investigating how to fix the problems with the speaker which lead me down the measurements path and realizing that massive improvements can be had for cheap, or even free. My first REW sweep was a real eye opener, it showed me exactly where the problems were and confirmed what I was hearing all along. For the past 5 years I have not made any audio purchases besides software and music.

So I have "only" owned 4 speakers in 30 years (if you don't count computer speakers, of which I have owned many). I consider that a good thing! I still listen to music on computer speakers though, probably more often than my main speakers because I am seated in front of my PC so often, like right now.

goodkeys

Not in chronological order.

Logitech
Micca
Blue Sky eXoII
Geithain RL 906
Quad ESL 57
JBL LSR 305P
Edifier R1280T

I use a stereo set of RL 906 to work on (tv and media music). The ESL 57 (also stereo) for listening pleasure. And I am currently adding 7.1.4 Atmos to my studio with three LSR 305 for the front speakers, and the Edifier R1280T for the satellites and height speakers.

napfkuchen

cronological from 1996:
Yamaha (part of a Piano Craft 100 set)
Canton Karat M70 DC
Kef XQ1 and XQ5
Klipsch RB81
Adam Artist 5
Genelec 8331

Finally healed my upgraderitis after realising that now my room is the limiting factor and besides some more treatment there is nothing I can do.:p

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me:

Advent
Genesis
Linn
Polk Audio
Alesis
Pioneer
Stacked Advent
Canton
Revel

And a Boston Acoustics subwoofer.

Rick "still has all of them except the Genesis; all still work" Denney

August West

Quadraflex 1971 (The old Pacific Stereo brand)
Acoustat X 1976 Vintage
Magnepan
B&W CDM 1NT
Martin Logan Electromotion ESL

FireFly88

This one is difficult, use to work at a store in College, not sure where to even start, still have the sickness... ;) e

Polk
Paradigm
Magnepan SMG,1.7, 1.7i
Dyanudio, So many I have lost count since 1993 (Still own Confidence C2 Platinum)
Totem
Martin Logan (ESL) Vista, etc..
B&W's (many)
KEF (Many)
Usher Be-317 (current)
Joseph Audio Rm7Si (Current Pulsar 2 Graphine)
Dali (many)
SONUS FABER ( Current Olympica III)
Dahlquist
Mission
Jamo
PSB
Buchardt
GATO
Elac
Sony

Attachments

• IMG_6499.jpg
    IMG_6499.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

KLH 17
KLH 20
Rectilinear III
Bose 901
JBL Pro 4310
JBL Pro 4311B
JBL Pro 4320
JBL Pro 4315B
Magnepan 1
Magnepan 11a
JBL L112a
Mission 770
JBL Pro LSr4328p
JBL Pro 4225
Revel Performa M20
Kef R500
JBL L100 Classic
JBL 4429
Neumann KH310

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Home:
JVC (mini-system with bookshelves)
Infinity
Cerwin Vega
Polk RT100i
Bic DV62si
SVS
Klipsch
Monitor Audio

Car:
Sparkomatic
Pyle
Boston Acoustics
Kenwood
Bose (OEM)
Morel

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Started with a KLH 2-way "bookshelf" pair, late 70s. Seems like I had another pair previous, but can't seem to recall.

~1981 stumbled into a set of Miller & Kreisel (M&K, MKSound) S-1 satellites with a Volkswoofer subwoofer. Coaxed the set for ~20 years, with S-1 drivers replaced twice, crossovers once, and the sub had driver and plate amp swapped.

~2001 picked up a set of M&K active pro studio monitors, MK-2510P, with a MX-350 subwoofer. Used those for about 15 years.

Recently arrived at ASR, and since bought a pair of Revel Performa F208s. Still subwoofer shopping, but have my eye on a pair of 15 inch HSUs.

The M&K systems both played fairly loud and clean, but I could over-drive them. The F208s, with a NAD C298 amp, are another level of loud and clean. :oops:

Headroom is when you are pretty sure your ear drums will blow before your speakers. :eek:

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ok... I'll play along...

stuff that cost me money....

no-name acoustic suspensions when I was 15
Altec VOT - (don't ask)
bose - inherited (burned as firewood)
JBL - inherited and restored - still have them
Klipsch... still have them

stuff that made me money...

JBL
Tannoy
Yamaha
Klein+Hummel
KRK
Klein+Hummel
Genelec
KRK
Genelec
Klein+Hummel
Genelec
Neumann (k+h)

dozens of pairs of cans over fifty years... I hate headphones...

the best advice? - notable mastering engineers instructing me to work with quality speakers...

doodle6

How do you rate these ones that you play, in order of your personal preference?
Since you posed that question, it’s been percolating, and a response finally surfaced, at least for the top handful: DD67000, Project Array 1400, Salon 2, Segovia (in my case, Heathkit AS-101). We listen to the Heathkits more often than the others, though. They are in our bedroom and see use every morning and evening.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is difficult, use to work at a store in College, not sure where to even start, still have the sickness... ;) e

Polk
Paradigm
Magnepan SMG,1.7, 1.7i
Dyanudio, So many I have lost count since 1993 (Still own Confidence C2 Platinum)
Totem
Martin Logan (ESL) Vista, etc..
B&W's (many)
KEF (Many)
Usher Be-317 (current)
Joseph Audio Rm7Si (Current Pulsar 2 Graphine)
Dali (many)
SONUS FABER ( Current Olympica III)
Dahlquist
Mission
Jamo
PSB
Buchardt
GATO
Elac
Sony

*bro fist*

I like the Joseph Pulsars. I’m currently using Joseph Perspective Graphenes.

(And yes…your level of speaker sickness makes me feel normal. I’ll save your photo for whenever my wife complains I have too many speakers)

What i can remember:

Wharfedale vintage and new
Kef vintage and new
Bowers and Wilkins vintage and new
Mission
Mordaunt short
PSB vintage and new
Paradigm vintage and new
JBL vintage and new
Elac
Pioneer
Energy Pro 22 and others
Klipsch
Totem
Polk
EPI )smooth)
Boston Acoustics
Acoustic Energy
Camber (very impressive)
Altec lansing
Bose

JAJDACT

Sony Floorstanders unknown models
CHT SHO-10
Klipsch RP500SA and 600M
KEF Q350 and R3
CSS Criton 1TDX and 2TD-X
Philharmonic BMR
Ascend Sierra LX

ronniebear

(in kinda-sorta chronological order)
Realistic Minimus-2
Advent/2 (vinyl wood cabinet version)
Marantz Imperial 5G
Original Large Advent
Boston Acoustics A-40
ADS L-810 Series II
Pioneer unknown model (uber-cheap mass-market)
JBL unknown model (uber-cheap mass-model)
Advent 400 (small speakers for Advent FM radio - I had 3 of these speakers)
Advent/3
KEF Celeste III
Polk Audio R15
Polk Audio tower speaker (model unknown)
Boston Acoustics A-70 Series II

I'm sure there's more, I bought my own first set of speakers over 45 years ago -- in 1974.

Last edited:

concorde1

The speakers I've owned:

JBL (Studio 530)
March Audio (Sointuva)

I had the 530's for about 7 years. They look really cool in my opinion, like space technology. They demanded high power and didn't get terribly loud.

The Sointuva's are fantastic. They belt out sound with vigour. They sound super clean. They demand high power but will get pretty loud. I do wish for a 3-way version which would get super loud.

I feel my listening skills have improved a bit in the last few months, so it is hard to say what the 530's sounded like with confidence.

johnbachel

Jim Lansing C-38 (Actually, my father's)
Homebrew with JBL D120 woofer.
KLH Model 20
AR2ax
Advent Prodigy (Jensen)
BIC Venturi
Boston Acoustics
HSU subwoofer
Elac f5.2

Last edited:
Top Bottom