• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is this the most embarrassing thing you could be caught doing in front of a webcam on the internet?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hearing the difference between network switches!

1710162663369.png

If it takes that long, I can't commit the necessary time to formulate a fully informed opinon.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Another video with absolutely no other clue.
A summary maybe?

Not everyone wants to watch channels which are of -how to put it mildly- questionable methods and use?

OP
Rotor

Rotor

Forum Donor
Another video with absolutely no other clue.
A summary maybe?

Not everyone wants to watch channels which are of -how to put it mildly- questionable methods and use?
Sorry, I hope I haven't missed some forum rule or good practice.

The video is just 4+ hours of two guys talking about the sound difference they heard between audio streamed over different makes and models of ethernet switches.
I hope nobody feels inclined to watch it, because it's certainly not going to be worth 4+ hours of your time!

It's just a demonstration of how people convince themselves of illogical things, even when they believe they're being objective.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sorry, I hope I haven't missed some forum rule or good practice.

The video is just 4+ hours of two guys talking about the sound difference they heard between audio streamed over different makes and models of ethernet switches.
I hope nobody feels inclined to watch it, because it's certainly not going to be worth 4+ hours of your time!

It's just a demonstration of how people convince themselves of illogical things, even when they believe they're being objective.
More of a good practice,yes,certainly not a rule.
What you describe is good enough for me and I agree if no strict controls are in place.

Soria Moria

Just skimmed through but it seems like they listen to a switch for several minutes alone before walking over and changing to the next one. They spend way too long listening to each with too much room in between. Don't know if they level matched anything (and the video is too long for me to try and find where they state that).

JSmith

Master Contributor
In the YouTube video "Live BLIND test switches - do switches matter for audio quality?", the hosts conduct a blind test to determine if the type of switch used in audio equipment affects audio quality. The speaker shares his curiosity and findings about the audible difference switches can make, emphasizing the significance of various protocol layers, priorities, and quality of service settings. They test different switches using a Trek STX3 switcher, playing various genres of music and commenting on the aesthetic qualities of the white noise produced by switching off the microphones. Despite encountering some difficulties, they continue the test, expressing their enjoyment of the tracks and the differences in audio quality between the switches. The speaker also acknowledges a comment stating that the test is not blind and discusses the results of the test, noting improvements in silence between notes and separation of notes with certain switches. They also discuss the impact of clock systems and power supplies on switch performance.

6u3.gif

JSmith

OP
Rotor

Rotor

Forum Donor
More of a good practice,yes,certainly not a rule.
What you describe is good enough for me and I agree if no strict controls are in place.

Even with the strictest controls and best practices for blind tests in place, my basic knowledge of digital audio and reasonably good knowledge of network switching would lead me to assume that any 'interesting' results were an outcome of some fault in the testing procedures, rather than any actual 'sound difference' of switches.

There is not even a theoretical way normal functioning network switch could impact sound, as far as I am aware.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One of the recent comments on this video is spot on.

"Doesn't it make you stop and think when you notice that network switches never do anything to images on streaming video, but somehow it does change the audio signal (according to ears, but never measurement instruments). Video contrast, sharpness, color, brightness, blur, etc all remain identical. But the positioning of the second violins is suddenly far more accurate!."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Don't know if they level matched anything

If all they are changing is an intermediate ethernet switch there would be no level changes.

OP
Rotor

Rotor

Forum Donor
One of the recent comments on this video is spot on.

"Doesn't it make you stop and think when you notice that network switches never do anything to images on streaming video, but somehow it does change the audio signal (according to ears, but never measurement instruments). Video contrast, sharpness, color, brightness, blur, etc all remain identical. But the positioning of the second violins is suddenly far more accurate!."
I might know the author ;)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with the strictest controls and best practices for blind tests in place, my basic knowledge of digital audio and reasonably good knowledge of network switching would lead me to assume that any 'interesting' results were an outcome of some fault in the testing procedures, rather than any actual 'sound difference' of switches.

There is not even a theoretical way normal functioning network switch could impact sound, as far as I am aware.
This is one the occasion when a positive result indicates a method error :)

OP
Rotor

Rotor

Forum Donor

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't bother to watch that, but as far as embarrassing I would say this is worse
You can always claim that your where high and watched p0rn at the same time :) Maybe not stellar human conduct but actually understandable ? Rambling about networks switches and audio is scientology territory :)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can always claim that your where high and watched p0rn at the same time :) Maybe not stellar human conduct but actually understandable ? Rambling about networks switches and audio is scientology territory :)
Maybe only old guys like me would be embarrassed. What a lovely world where that would be fine! Why was he suspended anyway?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe only old guys like me would be embarrassed. What a lovely world where that would be fine! Why was he suspended anyway?
i did not say it was fine at all :) but that it could be understood as human behavior , not the good kind of course .

What these network switch guys are doing is creepingly weird o_O

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i did not say it was fine at all :) but that it could be understood as human behavior , not the good kind of course .

What these network switch guys are doing is creepingly weird o_O
Oh I know, I just think some of us old guys are not so liberated that we would not find that story most embarrassing.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I refuse to give them the view to be honest, only encourages them.

Top Bottom