• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C700 streaming / network issues

fulladapipes

I really could do with some help here.

I have the NAD C700 for over a year and it was running fine it seems until I renewed my broadband contract with Vodafone (in Ireland) late last year. It's high-speed broadband and the NAD is connected by ethernet cable.

In the last four months the internet radio is having trouble. Previously it took say 2 seconds to switch from one station to another. Now it takes about 25 seconds to change from one station (say BBC Radio 1) to another (BBC Radio 6). This is way too long.

I brought the NAD to my friend's house and wired it to his internet, and there were no problems or delay switching radio stations - again, about 2 seconds, as it used to be in my house.

I've been on to BluSound numerous times and they say it is a network issue. TuneIn say it is nothing to do with them.

Are they right? And has anyone had this issue before and are there any suggested solutions (I've rebooted the amp and broadband numerous times)?

Thanks in advance.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It sounds like a network configuration problem. It's not easy to diagnose without network configuration information, logs, and if possible packet traces.

If you use a laptop or PC directly and use Sounds directly on it, is there a lag switching between channels?

OP
F

fulladapipes

It sounds like a network configuration problem. It's not easy to diagnose without network configuration information, logs, and if possible packet traces.

If you use a laptop or PC directly and use Sounds directly on it, is there a lag switching between channels?
Hi Thanks for replying.

When I use the BluSound app on the desptop or from my phone there is also a 25 second delay.

I'll give you what details about the network that I can. See attached screenshots.

Exposed host (DMZ) is OFF.

DNS is set to confgure automatically.

Dynamic DNS is OFF.

Any help you can offer would be great.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.26.39.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.26.39.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.17.40.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.17.40.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 20

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
My shot in the dark, if you Traceroute or Ping BBC Radio 1&6 maybe you can see where the delay happens.

OP
F

fulladapipes

Thanks Vincent. I am having trouble locating the IP address for BBC (or other radio stations). Looking here as I type. And I've attached a screenshot of what happens when I try to ping from the Vodafone diagnostic tools.

UPDATE: I found a website seems to have IP addresses and ran the ping and tracer tests for BBC Radio 4. Results attached. I'm not sure how to interpret them. Many thnks for the advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.21.37.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.21.37.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.36.15.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.36.15.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
  • ping_result.txt
    465 bytes · Views: 15
Last edited:

BenjaminB

Hi,
the ping values above look ok.
You have a router (wired, wireless; 192.168.1.1)? Have you changed anything in that? Or, has your ISP (internet service provider) changed something?

It may be the router settings that causes your problems.
The first easy step to do is to shut down the router (remove the power plug for ~1 minute) and re-start the router.
To change in the router settings is possible, one possibility is to re-set it - but that may require set up all settings again. You should consult the router manual.

Another possibility is that you have connected a unit to your network which are causing problems. some suggestions:
1) connect the NAD C700 direct to internet, ie by-pass the router.
2) disconnect all other units from the network, only have the NAD C700 connected.
3) if your router have wifi - can you stop the wifi? (check manual, very easy on many routers)
4) any possibility to use another router?

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Ping looks ok, 6 ms I would call crisp.
What happens if you ping the NAD?

OP
F

fulladapipes

Thanks Benjamin and Vincent.

Using your feedback I spent an hour on to Vodafone in Ireland yesterday. They finally admitted there's a fault and went off to test it. Today there was no change in the problem so they'll be sending out an engineer in the next couple of weeks (or mid April as I'll be abroad). Thanks again for your help and I'll keep trying to resolve the issue myself and let you know what the engineer does.

OP
F

fulladapipes

Some success anyway. I will keep you posted, and thanks again for everyone's assistance.

OP
F

fulladapipes

Just picking up on this - the net work (Vodafone) engineer came out yesterday. He installed a brand new router (he said the previous one - although new to me - had been a refurbished one).

For about two minutes after he installed the new router, everything worked perfectly (i had some premature celebrations): stations changed whip smart as they used to do. Then...it went back to normal - 25 seconds to change from one station to the next.

Anybody have any ideas what happened there?

FdP

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's difficult to know what's happening. Really, you need at least the logs from the router but ideally packet captures to see what's happening.

Based on your two minutes of joy, it feels like something started learning and after two minutes its behaviour stabilisd. Normally, a naive router will have no knowledge of DHCP assignments, ARP caches, NAT mappings, DNS cache (assuming this is enabled). Meanwhile with a naive router, all the devices will need to ask for DHCP assignments, learn the router's MAC address, ask DNS questions etc. All these things will take a short while - 2 minutes seems excessive for these transactions to settle down.

Are you able to run any performance tests (preferably not just ping)?

Top Bottom