• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a USB DAC that will upmix stereo audio files played from a Windows PC to 7.1 channel analogue like a soundcard but better?

PC-AudioEnthusiast

I currently connect a Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0880 Titanium Fatal1ty directly to an ADCOM GFA7607 power amp and a SVS PB2000 Subwoofer, however I'm looking to replace it, mainly because every time I install a major Windows update, it screws-up my audio requiring an arduous driver & application reinstallation and setup, and every week or so it starts to crackle & pop and I'm forced to reboot the PC to fix it.

I'm satisfied with the sound-quality when it works -- it's extremely loud when maxed-out, and I can rarely & barely notice any noise or distortion -- and I can't notice it at all if the heat-pump is on.

I'm willing to consider either a new high-end PCI-E soundcard or a USB DAC. I've heard that the sound quality of USB DAC's can be a lot better than soundcards, and that they can be less hassle. I'm thinking that I'd probably prefer a plug & play, driverless DAC, and I'm willing to settle for 'Class 1' USB audio (24-bit/96kHz), but I'm also interested in a 'Class 2' (24-bit/192kHz) USB audio DAC that does require drivers & applications if there's one that can survive a major Windows-update and is highly application-compatible.

Volume control, either via Windows or built-into the DAC is essential, because the ADCOM doesn't have volume control.

Maximum loudness is important to me because I don't have a preamp, and I'd rather not fork-out for one.

Stereo-upmix to 7.1 channels, with an approximately equal output volume for every channel is essential, as I've got full-range speakers all-round and the amp has seven identical output boards.

Bass management (crossover frequency & gain) are also highly desired, but I can use Equalizer APO if required, and the sub has gain-control & crossover built-in, and my surround channels will handle sub-bass.

Must be 240v 50hz compatible if it requires mains (alternating current) power, happy to shop separately for a power adapter if it requires DC power.

Budget: There's no way I'm spending over US$700, I'll be very reluctant to spend over US$500, and I'd like to spend less than US$300. I'm willing to buy second-hand from eBay using PayPal so feel free to recommend products with a slightly higher recommended retail price, particularly commonly available ones. I prefer Australian sellers but I'm willing to shop internationally.

Any product recommendations and advice or corrections of misconceptions would be much appreciated.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So you have 6 speakers and the SVS PB2000 connected to the ADCOM?
A USB DAC comes with zero up mixing features.
How is the SVS PB2000 connected to the ASCOM?
An older Asus Xonar D2X sound card comes with 7.1 channel speaker output.

OP
P

PC-AudioEnthusiast

So you have 6 speakers and the SVS PB2000 connected to the ADCOM?
A USB DAC comes with zero up mixing features.
How is the SVS PB2000 connected to the ASCOM?
An older Asus Xonar D2X sound card comes with 7.1 channel speaker output.

The SVS PB2000 is connected directly to the soundcard via a 3.5mm stereo jack to dual RCA cable (one going to the centre channel). I've actually got the sub channel going via a quality RCA Y-cable to a co-located 300w Dream 15" subwoofer, set at a fairly low-level. At one point I daisy-chained a third sub but I was getting a ground-loop hum.

How does the Asus Xonar D2X compare to the Asus Essence STX II 7.1?

The SNR spec is 2db higher on the surround channels and 6db higher on the front L&R channels on the Essence STX II 7.1.

The latest Windows 10 64-bit driver on the Essence STX II 7.1 is only a six months old, whereas the Xonar D2X's Windows 10 64-bit driver is nearly five-year old, and it's only a beta-version driver - which sounds like trouble - the Creative Console Launcher application is also only a beta-version.

Either way, the Asus does look like less hassle than the Creative, because it seems to be a single installation package, whereas the Creative Console Launcher, which is the main thing that's giving me grief every windows update has to be installed & configured separately.

I was hoping for a USB plug & play 7.1 channel solution, but there might not be one, especially on my budget.

I was sold on the specs of the Asus Essence STX II and the 8x RCA outputs, until I read a review of the two-channel version (without the daughter-board) that claimed it came in way way under spec. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-asus-stx-ii-pci-sound-card.4915/ - I haven't read the whole thread yet though.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
STX II only has 2-channels of line-output, the D2X has 7.1 (8-channels) of line-output.
And you can get a good price on a used D2X.

Top Bottom