• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a Genelec/Benchmark/RME equivalent for IEM/CIEMs?

PGAMiami

What would be the Genelec/Benchmark/RME equivalent for IEM/CIEMs? I had thought maybe JH Audio, but looking at the response curves I doubt it. Looking for a excellent engineering, workmanship and materials from an established company.

Last edited:

Bamboszek

In headphones it isn't so straightforward like in electronics or speakers.
My first idea is Etymotic. Solid engineering and science-driven company.
I'm not 100% sure, they are still great but nowadays there are some serious competitions to them which may be marginally better in terms of top-of-the-line performance.

OP
P

PGAMiami

I’ve been using my headphones more, and I’d like to find IEMs that match the quality of the rest of my system. I have Focal Utopia HP that sound great to me with Amir’s EQ on a Topping G5. My speakers are TAD R1s that were customized with much help from Andrew Jones, who designed them. Presently they are in a hybrid active/passive biamp using 4 Benchmark AHB2s in mono and a Pass XVR1 to cross over from the woofers to the coax mid/tweeter, with the room EQ running on an Audiolense designed convolver.

I‘ve had JH Audio Angie CIEMs for some time, but they are not comfortable after using them for a prolonged time. Also the FR curve on these seems totally off, although subjectively they don’t sound bad. The Utopia are great but I’d like something in the IEM format with better sound isolation so I can listen in the same room while others in the family watch TV.

oleg87

I don’t think getting the frequency response “right” is so straightforward with IEMs; since your individual ears are removed from your brain’s “signal processing” equation, finding IEMs that play nice with your personal HRTF and match whatever sound signature you prefer becomes a matter of some trial and error (or perhaps more sensibly, EQ).

Last edited:

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would recommend the oBravo Ra C-Cu. This is the most expensive IEM from crinacles list and high price seems to be the most relevant factor.

OP
P

PGAMiami

I don’t think getting the frequency response “right” is so straightforward with IEMs; since your individual ears are removed from your brain’s “signal processing” equation, finding IEMs that play nice with your personal HRTF and match whatever sound signature you prefer becomes a matter of some trial and error (or perhaps more sensibly, EQ).
Agree, but the FR on the Angie is so far off that it’s hard to believe there is any HiFi going on here. Back when I bought them in 2015 there weren’t many objective reviews and I felt the pro pedigree of JH Audio would serve me well, but in retrospect the company seems mostly oriented to on stage monitoring for musicians.

I‘ve been listening to the Truthear for a couple days. They are 1/3rd the price of an Angie replacement cable, but that said, they come a lot closer to the Utopia than the Angie.

I‘m going to give the Monrarck Mk2 a try, but another alternative at the same price point is the DAC Noire. These are not IEMs, but they are very compact and are closed back, so they meet my objectives for travel and sound isolation.

The $50 Truthears impressed me so much I felt it was worth a try to evaluate higher tier IEMs. that said, I would be interested in opinions on whether IEMs can compete with the better over the ear closed back products.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agree, but the FR on the Angie is so far off that it’s hard to believe there is any HiFi going on here. Back when I bought them in 2015 there weren’t many objective reviews and I felt the pro pedigree of JH Audio would serve me well, but in retrospect the company seems mostly oriented to on stage monitoring for musicians.

I‘ve been listening to the Truthear for a couple days. They are 1/3rd the price of an Angie replacement cable, but that said, they come a lot closer to the Utopia than the Angie.

I‘m going to give the Monrarck Mk2 a try, but another alternative at the same price point is the DAC Noire. These are not IEMs, but they are very compact and are closed back, so they meet my objectives for travel and sound isolation.

The $50 Truthears impressed me so much I felt it was worth a try to evaluate higher tier IEMs. that said, I would be interested in opinions on whether IEMs can compete with the better over the ear closed back products.
Do you want a serious answer? Do you want to learn something? In FR and adherence to the Harman curve they can, even better than headphones, and in distortionless, clear bass as well. But not in soundstage, layering and imaging. They most likely never will, as no pinna interaction takes place. The Moondrop Variations is currently the closest to Harman available, maybe also the AKG N5005.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
In headphones it isn't so straightforward like in electronics or speakers.
My first idea is Etymotic. Solid engineering and science-driven company.
I'm not 100% sure, they are still great but nowadays there are some serious competitions to them which may be marginally better in terms of top-of-the-line performance.

Etymotics are my “go to” as well.

Graph Feppar

What would be the Genelec/Benchmark/RME equivalent for IEM/CIEMs? I had thought maybe JH Audio, but looking at the response curves I doubt it. Looking for a excellent engineering, workmanship and materials from an established company.
Etymotic er2se are flattest frequency response IEMs.

Top Bottom