• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my new 65" Tv mounted to high?

dman777

I got a new Song a95L TV that is 65 inch. The installer placed it to where the center of the tv is about 56" inches from the floor. He said that this was the most common height. My old tv used to have a stand so I am used to lower tvs from stands. Is 56" inch height acceptable in the Home Theater community? Or is this considered to high?

Attachments

• tv2.jpg
    tv2.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 230
  • tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 231

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
According to the sources I have read, your line of sight should bisect the bottom 1/3 line of the screen.

Curvature

Major Contributor
It's fine.

I would tilt it down so that you are facing it more directly. TVs have on and off-axis coloration just like speakers do.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's really about your personal preference. For physical comfort you don't want to have to look too far up or down to see the screen. Personally I've always felt that the typical/average TV mounting height was too high.

OP
D

dman777

Recommendation is to have the center of the TV at eye level, generally that is around 42 inches, or about 106 cm.
It's really hard to tell from 10 feet away but I think my eyes are level with the Sonos bar when I am on the futon. Is that bad?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As is I would want it lower. The good news is you have room for a C426be.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have mentioned it's personal preference but I had mine on the wall about where yours appears to be. At least as well as I can tell from the photos and your description and I never liked it. Gave me a neck ache after watching 2 hour movie. Placed mine back on the stand.

DJNX

Ultimately down to preference.
Try to keep in mind ergonomics, though. Like... don't let your setup lead to neck or back pain (whether on the long or short term), just because it's neat and aesthetic.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I got a new Song a95L TV that is 65 inch. The installer placed it to where the center of the tv is about 56" inches from the floor.

My installer (me) took this tack:

The bottom edge of my 75" is 30 inches off the floor, putting the center about 48 inches, which doesn't make your 56 inches seem particularly high. It couldn't go any lower due to gear under it.

A bonus, since I generally view it while taking a nap, is that it is centered between the sidewalls.

And since speakers need to be pulled out from the wall behind for good imaging, I figure that might be good for other kinds of imaging and the screen is 46 inches from the wall behind (flush with the front of the gear rack).

It tilts down just a little, a possibly fortunate happenstance that came with mounting the TV to a telescoping swivel extended 15 inches mounted to some angle iron mounted to the vertical steel of the back of the audio rack creating a little sag.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it depends on your preference and seating and it sounds to me like you don't like it. If your seats can recline, than you can go back and look up without any strain.

I bought a TV for the bedroom and got a TV cabinet that was 6 inches taller and my neck killed me when I watched from a chair as there was no easy way to tilt my neck slightly up. I disassembled it and returned it. Now I'm super fastidious about where the TVs go.

Kudos on the A95L - I'm sure it's amazing.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read in couple of places that to relax and save your neck the horizontal center-line should be slightly below eye level. Lower is better than higher. Too high, craning your neck is bad like in most above fireplace setups.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about the various guidelines. For instance I have progressive eye glass lenses. Sort of fancy bifocals. So a little higher puts its in the upper portion of my glasses so I don't need to tilt my head down. Otherwise the lower part of my glasses would make it blurry along the lower edge. I know someone with a 120 inch projector in a fairly small room. It becomes nearly floor to ceiling being maybe a 1 ft off the floor. Sitting in a reclined chair makes that bad for me. Sitting in an upright chair since he has cleared away anything in line of sight is pretty good. Now to complicate the answer further I have a 2nd pair of glasses that have no correction for up close viewing. I use them while driving and while watching TV. So I think the answer is personal preference. Oh and one more example. My dentist has a TV mounted on the ceiling so you can watch that if you wish while reclined in the chair. In that particular instance on the ceiling is great. So whether you sit in a chair, couch, or recliner effects the answer for where the TV should be. It should be where it is comfortable for you to view without neck or eyestrain.

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Yes way too high.

just1n

Forum Donor
It's fine.

I would tilt it down so that you are facing it more directly. TVs have on and off-axis coloration just like speakers do.
Pretty sure OLED doesn’t have that problem. I can be 70 degrees of center walking down the hall and see very clearly what’s on TV.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Pretty sure OLED doesn’t have that problem. I can be 70 degrees of center walking down the hall and see very clearly what’s on TV.
QD-OLED doesn't has much less from the measurements I've seen.

Lots of other TVs have green shift, or grey level shift (especially vertically).

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about the various guidelines. For instance I have progressive eye glass lenses. Sort of fancy bifocals. So a little higher puts its in the upper portion of my glasses so I don't need to tilt my head down. Otherwise the lower part of my glasses would make it blurry along the lower edge. I know someone with a 120 inch projector in a fairly small room. It becomes nearly floor to ceiling being maybe a 1 ft off the floor. Sitting in a reclined chair makes that bad for me. Sitting in an upright chair since he has cleared away anything in line of sight is pretty good. Now to complicate the answer further I have a 2nd pair of glasses that have no correction for up close viewing. I use them while driving and while watching TV. So I think the answer is personal preference. Oh and one more example. My dentist has a TV mounted on the ceiling so you can watch that if you wish while reclined in the chair. In that particular instance on the ceiling is great. So whether you sit in a chair, couch, or recliner even effects the answer for where the TV should be. It should be where it is comfortable for you to view without neck or eyestrain.
Some great points, those damn progressive lenses give my neck a workout. It is impossible to to work in tight spaces like fixing anything under a sink.

techsamurai

I don't know about the various guidelines. For instance I have progressive eye glass lenses. Sort of fancy bifocals. So a little higher puts its in the upper portion of my glasses so I don't need to tilt my head down. Otherwise the lower part of my glasses would make it blurry along the lower edge. I know someone with a 120 inch projector in a fairly small room. It becomes nearly floor to ceiling being maybe a 1 ft off the floor. Sitting in a reclined chair makes that bad for me. Sitting in an upright chair since he has cleared away anything in line of sight is pretty good. Now to complicate the answer further I have a 2nd pair of glasses that have no correction for up close viewing. I use them while driving and while watching TV. So I think the answer is personal preference. Oh and one more example. My dentist has a TV mounted on the ceiling so you can watch that if you wish while reclined in the chair. In that particular instance on the ceiling is great. So whether you sit in a chair, couch, or recliner even effects the answer for where the TV should be. It should be where it is comfortable for you to view without neck or eyestrain.

interesting comment about progressives as I'm about to get those - I've been dealing with glass hell watching TV and checking my phone. Let me see where my eyes meet my current TV.

Top Bottom