• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my new 65" Tv mounted to high?

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh man, that's my wife's futon from her college days - she bought it when I met her and I assembled it for her - we kept it until we bought our house together and eventually got a king-sized bed. Wow, that takes me back... :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
interesting comment about progressives as I'm about to get those - I've been dealing with glass hell watching TV and checking my phone. Let me see where my eyes meet my current TV.
Lots of people aren't told they have various patterns for progressives. Most standard ones are too narrow in the clear view up close to me. Some make patterns for sports that have a wider lower orientation. Some companies make some for driving that only have the up close portion very low and not terribly narrow. Great for driving, and probably for TV viewing as the lower edge would let you view the phone without messing up the TV too much.

In any case, ask about the different versions of progressives. If you don't like the first ones, you may just want a different pattern. I personally found "beginner progressives" much better for genearal purpose use than standard progressives. Here are couple of links showing the differences. The first one is quite simple. The second gives a little more detail.

Apologies to the OP for being off topic.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's really hard to tell from 10 feet away but I think my eyes are level with the Sonos bar when I am on the futon. Is that bad?
I would say it is a bit too high then, but honestly it's not too bad... and we have all seen truly bad setups where people look up at a steep angle. If you can just angle it a little bit your're totally fine.

techsamurai

Mine is sitting on a cabinet at 26 inches - I just measured 56 - it goes past the top of my 55 inch TV. And that's where your 65 inch TV starts...

Was this the person's first installation? I'd understand if you have a fireplace or a bar and he was putting it on top of that but there's so much space below the sonos bar. It's strange...

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
Looks fine. Mine is higher. I recline my sofa back which lets me make eye contact the TV just fine. My neck articulates my head up and down without any chronic sequelae. I too have progressive lenses.

My 65" is 41" to center of screen - seems ideal to me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Higher than I want due my seating/distance. Mine is more eye height squared to center of screen for my primary seat but even flanking seats aren't that much of an angle at the distance I use. YMMV.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks fine. Mine is higher. I recline my sofa back which lets me make eye contact the TV just fine. My neck articulates my head up and down without any chronic sequelae. I too have progressive lenses.
To me, the major issue (apart from neck discomfort) when a TV is mounted to high is the disconnect between audio and visual levels.
Also happens to be the reason I dont like surround... you have a 2D screen in front of you while the sound confusingly comes from all around.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Since this is Audio Science Review and I've seen no one ask this yet, I will. In its current position, how does the TV sound?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would raise it higher if possible. I’ve found TV starting 50” or so off the ground works best for us. Such placement allows for a proper center channel.

techsamurai

I would raise it higher if possible. I’ve found TV starting 50” or so off the ground works best for us. Such placement allows for a proper center channel.

In the case of the A95L which is considered the best sounding TV and can act as a center channel and possibly a secondary center channel with positional sound, I would try it at least and see what EQ can do for it to match it with the Front speakers.

My center channel is hidden inside my cabinet so I don't have to raise my TV or see it :) Until yesterday where I had mismatched EQ between the LR and Center, I have never detected a difference between the front 3 speakers even though they are from a different series in the brand so it's done the job phenomenally.

For me, visual comfort trumps sonic perfection. Btw, he is using the Sonos Arc which is fine-sounding on its own and upgradeable.

techsamurai

Not sure why you're laughing - Sony's actuators are considered the best in the business (TV) and I think it has positional sound. I have not heard it but multiple reviewers consider them the best of all premium TVs.

Most people don’t care much about fidelity of audio reproduction and that’s fine. Please note this is AUDIO Science Review though.

Well, I'm pulling my hair out over the audio reproduction of the RZ50, 4800h, and Cinema 70. If my center sounded bad, I can't imagine what I would have bought.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm pulling my hair out over the audio reproduction of the RZ50, 4800h, and Cinema 70. If my center sounded bad, I can't imagine what I would have bought.

If you're pulling your hair out over audio electronics, the problem is probably the loudspeakers.

raif71

Major Contributor
My preference for the tv, is for it to be on a tv stand. Just nice for me to lie down on the sofa and for me not to angle up my head too much.

techsamurai

If you're pulling your hair out over audio electronics, the problem is probably the loudspeakers.

Check my other post titled "Struggle.." - I don't want to change the topic although the bottom of the A95L sits above where the top of my TV ends so it's really high.

I've had the loudspeakers for 15 years and I love them - it's Audyssey sending me literally on an Odyssey

techsamurai

My preference for the tv, is for it to be on a tv stand. Just nice for me to lie down on the sofa and for me not to angle up my head too much.

There's a hidden benefit to that which amounted to a few throusand dollars in the past. The TV on a cabinet is usually 12 inches from the wall which amounts to 7 inches extra in diagonal size so a 55 inch was a 62 inch TV and for OLEDs that was a huge difference. The 65 was a 72 inch.

AdVis

My (then) new TV came with a paper template for drilling holes, that was very nice as I could adjust it against the wall and look at it from the couch from various positions. I just fiddled around with it (much easier with a paper template than with a TV) until I was satisfied and that proved to be a good strategy. It's centerline is eye height with someone sitting on the couch but that's how it ended up (92 cm).

Slayer

Well, I just measured my 75'' and it's 58'' from the floor to the center. And, Yes, it's too high.
I usually sit 12' to 14' away, so Ideally, I need to lower mine another 10'' to 12''s.
In the end, all that matters, is what seems enjoyable to you and your family.

Top Bottom