• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth getting locking RCA cables?

Is it worth getting locking RCA cables?

• Yes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

kongwee

Major Contributor
For me is worth it and cost under $100. I have once broken a few RCA because of tight oxidation.

MrOtto

Some RCA cables can really be a pain to remove from your audio equipemnt when it sits close to a back wall, near impossible. So locking RCA can be useful.

AudiOhm

I tried some locking RCA cables in the past, found them to be a pain in the a$$...

There will be no sound improvement, if that is what you are thinking...

Ohms

warnerwh

Regular RCA connectors work just fine. Save your money and yourself some grief. I also threw them away after the battle to get them off.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Look what some pair of (presumably non-locking... perhaps Monstrous) cables did to the CD input jacks on this poor, unsuspecting little Marantz PM-25 integrated amplifier.
:eek:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Look what some pair of (presumably non-locking... perhaps Monstrous) cables did to the CD input jacks on this poor, unsuspecting little Marantz PM-25 integrated amplifier.

I'm smelling a turbine type Monster Cable RCA that ripped off the CD grounds.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Same thing happened to the RCA inputs of one my Stax headphone amps. :( They sure were not designed for these super tight RCA plugs that are so common these days.

sam_adams

Major Contributor

That damage is more a function of the crap ganged panel mount connector than it is of the type of RCA connector on the cable.

This one is more likely to be damaged by any tight connector:

prca.jpg

than this one is:
rca.jpg

A good star washer and some blue Locktite will keep the above from loosening with a lot of twisting.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That damage is more a function of the crap ganged panel mount connector than it is of the type of RCA connector on the cable.

This one is more likely to be damaged by any tight connector:

View attachment 251029
than this one is:
View attachment 251031
A good star washer and some blue Locktite will keep the above from loosening with a lot of twisting.
Out of the many tens of thousands of RCA connectors that I have seen that have failed the extra expense for milled gear is very high.

Top Bottom