• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that I don't like rock?

Prana Ferox

It all comes down to what you like. As others said, rock is a ridiculously broad genre, especially as you go over the decades and the international variants.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I don’t listen to a lot of music I grew up with. I still adore much of it, for the times it marked in my life, but there is so much great new and other music that I haven’t heard yet…. And so little time. Music listening is all about discovery for me and rarely about nostalgia or familiarity. That’s just me. I seriously hate going to a buddy’s place and hearing their classic or yaught rock collections on in the background though. It shows zero learning and progression by them over the years. Grit my teeth and cleanse my palette when I get home with a session of something new.
And music with lyrics is fading out of my preference. Though there are lots of good musical poets so much so-called pop and rock is childish and banal lyrically. Jazz and instrumental is moving in.

Timcognito

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s a little hard to believe when someone says they don’t like such a broad genre such as rock or classical. There so many different (related) styles there’s bound to be some album/artists or piece of music at least “likeable” out there — that could still be called rock or classical etc. even though to one’s mind they may not sound like stereotypically belonging to the group at first.
Yeah listen to contemporary "country/western" is almost all rock. I miss Hank, George and Patsy.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love it, it's fun.

That's a great record, but death metal metallica is not.

What do you listen to now?
Metallica went commercial and changed from metal to some form of commercialized stuff when they went big on Enter Sandman. Before that is the original Metallica. :D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Metallica went commercial and changed from metal to some form of commercialized stuff when they went big on Enter Sandman. Before that is the original Metallica. :D
True, but still - Metallica is two steps or so removed from death metal. Metallica->Slayer, Kreator, Sodom->Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be sure you don't like rock I'd have a listen to:

Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Jimmy Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?
The Doors: The Doors
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath
Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstasy
The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

If you don't find anything in that lot that floats your boat then it's safe to say you don't like Rock.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
The original poster has not responded. It felt like a troll question.
How could anyone be that out of touch with contemporary culture to even ask it?
You don’t have to like rock to clearly know what it is and isn’t. But you have to have been living in a cave from 1949 and just emerged to have even asked that question.

Reactions: MAB

Digby

Not a big fan of Rock myself, but 1950s Rockabilly, crazy Surf instrumentals (1960s) and weird Kraut Rock experimental stuff (1970s) is occasionally my cup of tea.

bluefuzz

you can put both Chuck Berry and The Sex Pistols under it even though they do not sound anything alike
Odd comparison since the Pistols were pretty much 99% warmed up Chuck Berry riffs ... ;-)

But it's true that 'Rock' now contains almost any other genre imaginable: Folk-rock, pub-rock, hard-rock, jazz-rock, progressive-rock, country-rock, soft-rock, kraut-rock, noise-rock, funk-rock, pop-rock, punk-rock, metal-rock, post-rock, acid-rock, math-rock, afro-rock, drone-rock, glam-rock, blues-rock, cock-rock, mock-rock (hey Bob!), psych-rock, psychobilly, rockabilly and good old fashioned rock 'n' roll. Not to mention the 1001 subgenres of Metal, that sound exactly alike, and whose only exponents are two bands from some village of reindeer herdsmen in northern Finland.

It's hard to imagine a person can't find some subgenre of rock they like ...

Top Bottom