• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that I don't like rock?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to look at some of Emerson Lake and Palmer for another glance at what you can get in Prog Rock (a live adaptation of Pictures At An Exhibition!).
In a way, this was a big part of the overall Rock scene: there were no rules!
Calling ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition Rock certainly shows a lack of rules :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Calling ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition Rock certainly shows a lack of rules :)
Funny enough, Pictures at an Exhibition has become sort of a thing you have to do when playing prog. Such is the case for Mekong Delta, a prog-Thrash band in this case.

Still, for metal and prog, I think there are better options. I cannot stand Dream Theatre and the only song I like from them are not even theirs (like Damage Inc. sung by Barney Greenway from Napalm Death), so for the sake of not so known bands, I'll recommend Coroner, and particularly No More Color. Other interesting works could be Atheist's Piece of Time.

For the very weird, Guts of a Virgin from Painkiller is guaranteed nightmare fuel.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny enough, Pictures at an Exhibition has become sort of a thing you have to do when playing prog. Such is the case for Mekong Delta, a prog-Thrash band in this case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition#Orchestrations I think Ravel's version is the most often performed, recently by the Berliner from the Waldbühme. :)
I cannot stand Dream Theater
I swear I've tried, but I'm with you, I don't see anything interesting on their music, it's just boring to me.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
there were obviously lots of great black singers/performers in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. But they were largely in other genres like funk, soul, R&B, hip-hop and rap.
If Tina Turner gets to be included in the 'rock' category (which I think is a bit of a stretch) then perhaps hubby Ike should too? And as someone noted above surely Jimi Hendrix is the epitome of the Rock God? But yes, genre definitions are hard. If you are inclusive, then almost anything with a recognisable beat and involving a bit of electricity can be classed as rock. But then the category becomes so broad as to be meaningless and requires some kind of qualifier to be at all descriptive. It could be argued that funk, soul, R&B, hip-hop and rap are indeed subgenres of rock ...

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The only rock I don’t like is metal with growled lyrics.

I like a bit of growlo myself, although I'm not really a metalhead. Metalcore works for me though. Since you like Emo, hopefully you enjoy melodic Screamo (no need to miss out on some of the best rock this century).

* they may be saying rock is timeless
** I like the nod to the fashion sense of the fab four
*** there's a debt to predecessors like Linkin Park and Slipknot and ...
**** but as they absorbed electronicore the sonics became richer
***** some consider this their first pop album, but that was the next one

odarg64

80s hardcore punk is fun:
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Circle Jerks
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Marginal Man
Government Issue
Dag Nasty
Faith
et al.

Minutemen is my favorite band from that era/genre. "Punk is whatever we made it to be." -D. Boon

It's also fun to follow that era through post hardcore with Fugazi and various Mike Watt (Minutemen) bands all that way to recent Watt, Corky and many in-between. A lot of great music by excellent musicians. Not popular in the entire scheme of things, but among the best rock out there.

Dischord Records has a nice catalog, much of which can be downloaded as inexpensive DRM-free 320kbps files (you won't know the difference :)).

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not saying you're wrong (or I'm right)
Agreed I never got past Costelo's My Aim Is True which is punkish, certainly angry but indeed melodic. But that album is still a favorite 40 yrs later.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
80s hardcore punk is fun:
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Circle Jerks
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Marginal Man
Government Issue
Dag Nasty
Faith
et al.

Minutemen is my favorite band from that era/genre. "Punk is whatever we made it to be." -D. Boon

It's also fun to follow that era through post hardcore with Fugazi and various Mike Watt (Minutemen) bands all that way to recent Watt, Corky and many in-between. A lot of great music by excellent musicians. Not popular in the entire scheme of things, but among the best rock out there.

Dischord Records has a nice catalog, much of which can be downloaded as inexpensive DRM-free 320kbps files (you won't know the difference :)).
From those times, aside from DOA, Alice Doughnut, Cro Mags and the mentioned bands, I really like the evolution into Crust. Bands such as Doom, Siege, Electrohippies, Crass or Discharge. In the US, we could include Extreme Noise Terror and as a bridge to Grindcore and Death Metal, Terrorizer.

ADU

Major Contributor
I picked those albums because, IMO, all the rock music made since stems from at least one of them.

Thanks for clarifying this. It makes it easier to understand where you're comin from.

If Tina Turner gets to be included in the 'rock' category (which I think is a bit of a stretch) then perhaps hubby Ike should too? And as someone noted above surely Jimi Hendrix is the epitome of the Rock God? But yes, genre definitions are hard. If you are inclusive, then almost anything with a recognisable beat and involving a bit of electricity can be classed as rock. But then the category becomes so broad as to be meaningless and requires some kind of qualifier to be at all descriptive. It could be argued that funk, soul, R&B, hip-hop and rap are indeed subgenres of rock ...

It could... I suppose. But I wouldn't do it. :)

I'll leave the Ike question for others to debate as well. Tina Turner is definitely a rock singer in my book though. And a pop/ballad/etc. singer as well. She is just a very talented lady.

There was also another black alt-rock artist, in addition to Darius and Fishbone, who was briefly popular around the late 80's or 90's as I recall. But I'm flaking on his name and songs, and Google isn't helping much. I remember seeing some of his vids on MTV though.

I thought about folks like Chaka Kahn and George Clinton as well. But I think of them more as funk artists (with some influences from rock).

There were alot of other good female rock performers from that time I'm forgettin though, like Natalie Merchant of 10,000 Maniacs, Tori Amos, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins, and maybe also Liz Phair, Courtney Love of Hole, Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, and Justine Frischmann of Elastica, among others. There were also some ok female shoegazers.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
But I think of them more as funk artists (with some influences from rock).
Funk IS Rock. Without Rock, you never get Funk. (Unfortunately, the same is true for Disco.)

This was part of the point of my overly long post before... you cannot truly separate many of these from the main, hence why you end up with so many sub-genre classifications.
A great example is Curtis Mayfield. The Impressions are most likely classed as R&B and part of the Rock crossover, but if you listen to Curtis on his own, that very same music is undoubtedly Rock and in many instance will fall into the sub-genre of Funk... even performing the same song.
Listen to Isaac Hayes version of Look Of Love (B.Bacharach) from ...To Be Continued and Dead Presidents soundtrack. I challenge you to describe his performance of that Ballad and the guitar solo as anything but Rock. Again, you can see some blurring of the lines, but that solo alone is an exquisite moment in Rock. ;)
George Clinton? Parliament? Funkadelic? This is all Rock, even when there is Funk, R&B, or even Rap characteristics involved.

Now...
Darius and Fishbone
Hootie- Darius Rucker? You can't possibly be putting him in the same sentence as Fishbone!?!! :p

Regardless...
I'll leave the Ike question for others to debate as well. Tina Turner is definitely a rock singer in my book though. And a pop/ballad/etc.
Ike Turner is "possibly" responsible for one of the earliest Rock And Roll Records (see the story of Rocket "88"). So whether you classify him as R&B or Rock, he absolutely has a place in the Rock pantheon especially considering the fact that R&B and most ncertainly early Rock were intrinsically intertwined. Likewise, you still have to keep in mind that Rock itself is a subset of Popular Music So you can call artists like Tina Turner or Whitney Houston Pop Artists but they too most assuredly fall into the Rock category.

Reactions: ADU
Top Bottom