• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that I don't like rock?

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It all comes down to what you like. As others said, rock is a ridiculously broad genre, especially as you go over the decades and the international variants.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I don’t listen to a lot of music I grew up with. I still adore much of it, for the times it marked in my life, but there is so much great new and other music that I haven’t heard yet…. And so little time. Music listening is all about discovery for me and rarely about nostalgia or familiarity. That’s just me. I seriously hate going to a buddy’s place and hearing their classic or yaught rock collections on in the background though. It shows zero learning and progression by them over the years. Grit my teeth and cleanse my palette when I get home with a session of something new.
And music with lyrics is fading out of my preference. Though there are lots of good musical poets so much so-called pop and rock is childish and banal lyrically. Jazz and instrumental is moving in.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a little hard to believe when someone says they don’t like such a broad genre such as rock or classical. There so many different (related) styles there’s bound to be some album/artists or piece of music at least “likeable” out there — that could still be called rock or classical etc. even though to one’s mind they may not sound like stereotypically belonging to the group at first.
Yeah listen to contemporary "country/western" is almost all rock. I miss Hank, George and Patsy.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love it, it's fun.

That's a great record, but death metal metallica is not.

What do you listen to now?
Metallica went commercial and changed from metal to some form of commercialized stuff when they went big on Enter Sandman. Before that is the original Metallica. :D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Metallica went commercial and changed from metal to some form of commercialized stuff when they went big on Enter Sandman. Before that is the original Metallica. :D
True, but still - Metallica is two steps or so removed from death metal. Metallica->Slayer, Kreator, Sodom->Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be sure you don't like rock I'd have a listen to:

Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Jimmy Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?
The Doors: The Doors
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath
Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstasy
The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

If you don't find anything in that lot that floats your boat then it's safe to say you don't like Rock.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
The original poster has not responded. It felt like a troll question.
How could anyone be that out of touch with contemporary culture to even ask it?
You don’t have to like rock to clearly know what it is and isn’t. But you have to have been living in a cave from 1949 and just emerged to have even asked that question.

Digby

Major Contributor
Not a big fan of Rock myself, but 1950s Rockabilly, crazy Surf instrumentals (1960s) and weird Kraut Rock experimental stuff (1970s) is occasionally my cup of tea.

Reactions: ADU

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
you can put both Chuck Berry and The Sex Pistols under it even though they do not sound anything alike
Odd comparison since the Pistols were pretty much 99% warmed up Chuck Berry riffs ... ;-)

But it's true that 'Rock' now contains almost any other genre imaginable: Folk-rock, pub-rock, hard-rock, jazz-rock, progressive-rock, country-rock, soft-rock, kraut-rock, noise-rock, funk-rock, pop-rock, punk-rock, metal-rock, post-rock, acid-rock, math-rock, afro-rock, drone-rock, glam-rock, blues-rock, cock-rock, mock-rock (hey Bob!), psych-rock, psychobilly, rockabilly and good old fashioned rock 'n' roll. Not to mention the 1001 subgenres of Metal, that sound exactly alike, and whose only exponents are two bands from some village of reindeer herdsmen in northern Finland.

It's hard to imagine a person can't find some subgenre of rock they like ...

ADU

Major Contributor
To be sure you don't like rock I'd have a listen to:

Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Jimmy Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?
The Doors: The Doors
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath
Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstasy
The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

If you don't find anything in that lot that floats your boat then it's safe to say you don't like Rock.

There are some good tunes there. But the above is far from representative of the genre as a whole. So I can't agree that if you don't like them, you don't like rock. You may not be that into some of the more popular or seminal rock genres or artists of the 60's and 70's. Though I think even that could be a stretch.

Feel free to disagree with me on this. :)

ADU

Major Contributor
Lots here will be into prog including myself. Thought Yes was the greatest band ever cause they could actually play an instrument and they had time changes and compositions like more cerebral artists. I can see why critiques of prog don’t like it. The artists can get a bit lost in some grand thematic instead of just cranking out something fun about having sex with a hot teacher like Van Halen. Either works depending on my wife’s mood I suppose. :)

I enjoyed many of the pioneers of prog. But don't listen to much anymore. Alot of audiophiles seem to be into prog and blues though. Perhaps it's just a boomer thing? :)

Some progressive metal is interesting.

Midnight Audiophile

Rock_and_roll_singer.jpg

ADU

Major Contributor
I come a little after the boomers, so these would probably be some of the canonical rock singers of my generation....

Fiona Apple
Bjork of The Sugarcubes
Bono of U2
David Bowie
Kate Bush
Richard Butler of The Psychedelic Furs
David Byrne of Talking Heads
Eric Clapton
Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
Brian Connolly of (The) Sweet
Alice Cooper
Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins
Chris Cornell of Soundgarden
Elvis Costello
Cy Cumin of The Fixx
Ian Curtis of Warsaw/Joy Division
Martha Davis of The Motels
Brad Delp of Boston
Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction
Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins of Genesis
Lou Gramm of Foreigner
Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters
Debbie Harry of Blondie
George Harrison of The Beatles
Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders
Billy Idol
Joan Jett of Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Elton John
Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran
Annie Lennox of The Eurythmics
Jeff Lynne of ELO
Marilyn Manson
Shirley Manson of Garbage
Paul McCartney of the Wings/Beatles
Meatloaf
Freddie Mercury of Queen
Morrissey of The Smiths
Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerald Casale of Devo
Peter Murphy of Bauhaus
Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac
Ric Ocasek of The Cars
Sinead O'Connor
Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries
Steve Perry of Journey
Tom Petty of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Kate Pierson, Cindy Wilson, and Fred Schnieder of The B-52's
Iggy Pop of Iggy & the Stooges
Prince
Joey Ramone of The Ramones
Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails
Linda Ronstadt
Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses
Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie & the Banshees
Robert Smith of The Cure
Bruce Springsteen
Paul Stanley of KISS
Rod Stewart of Faces
Sting of The Police
Michael Stipe of REM
Neil Tennant of The Pet Shop Boys
Tina Turner
Steven Tyler of Aerosmith
Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam
Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart
Thom Yorke of Radiohead

I'm leavin out the metal singers, like Ozzy, etc., and some other good alt/grunge singers. It's a start though. :)

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
so these would probably be some of the canonical rock singers of my generation....

So Tina Turner is the only black rock singer you could think of and Björk the only non-native English speaker? Hmm ...

I can understand why rock is often characterised as 'white guys with guitars' ... ;-)

Top Bottom