• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that I don't like rock?

Duckeenie

Curious site. Typed in Peter Gabriel, one of my all time favorites. Genesis of course shows on the map, but further away than Tears For Fears, Oingo Boingo, The Police and George Michaelo_O.

Tears for Fears and Peter Gabriel are among my favourite artists. I maybe like two Genesis songs. Of course no algorithm is going to be perfect though due to the emotional involvement we have with music, the people we identify with and age probably factors in to it a lot too. For example If I type in Tears for Fears it displays a lot of artists that I would have liked when I was younger but not so much today.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Yep >>>> Fast forward to the 70's when record executives would say to progressive rock artists "What?? No! So you want to put one 22 minute long song on the B side of your new record?!?
Rush ELP Yes etc...
Without that, there would not be Edge of Sanity's Crimson. No wonder Dan Swäno loves Rush. Actually, if you do too, you may like Moontower, Swano's only solo record.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Tears for Fears and Peter Gabriel are among my favourite artists. I maybe like two Genesis songs. Of course no algorithm is going to be perfect though due to the emotional involvement we have with music, the people we identify with and age probably factors in to it a lot too. For example If I type in Tears for Fears it displays a lot of artists that I would have liked when I was younger but not so much today.

I suspect you are of a younger generation that am I. For those of us who grew up listening to Peter Gabriel's Genesis, the band's descent started when he left the band. Still, Second's Out, ATOTT, and Wind were great albums. When Hackett left the band, the remaining members should have just come up with a new band name. The are two bands who called themselves Genesis, and they even had some common members, but they were two very, very different bands, a sort of dualism. There are other bands who evolved (devolved?) in this manner, eg., Fleetwood Mac.

This perspective is a long-winded way of stating that for me, and I suspect most Peter Gabriel led Genesis fans, there's just no way that Oingo Boingo and The Police/Sting should be closer to Peter Gabriel than Genesis. I surely don't expect a perfect algorithm, but I would have hoped for a better one than this.

gfx_1

I still like old school Genesis stuff and mostly the keyboard things by Tony Banks.
Youtube has some gems

Top Bottom