• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that I don't like rock?

odarg64

Pop Rocks:
Pop-Rocks-Small.jpg

In my assessment some rock is pop at some point (some rock is indeed never popular), but not all pop is rock. Certainly not definitive as lines are blurred. It probably doesn't matter. I'm probably wrong.

I played this song before giving 'pop' quizzes to 9th grade biology students:

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Original question seems kind of odd to me...one's musical listening taste forms over time, then ebbs and flows.
In the 70s, I started out loving classical music. A lot of contemporary music sounded like noise to me, for the most part.
Then I got all sensitive and English-majory around 9th grade and lyrics began to speak to me. Paul Simon and the early Elton John works spoke to me, as did Joni Mitchell. Gradually, a love of pop/rock performers that I liked broadened out from there. I still took mostly classical cassettes off to college with me, though.
Today, I have a broad musical love and appreciation. The joy of Spotify and other streaming services is that you can almost instantly sample and determine if an artist is speaking to you, right for you.
I used to have friends and music lovers who would mention new music to me, now I mostly discover things for myself.
No one really can tell you what you like, but I think the fun of being a music consumer is that you can constantly discover, prune and edit what you want to listen to on any given day.
I rotate constantly between classical, old jazz, new jazz, electronic/ambient, and pop/rock. Don't do country or rap - just not my thing.
Pop/rock is a huge category. One additional plus with the streams is that once you find artists that you like, the algorithm will suggest others in the same vein. Saves you some poking-around time. Eerie how accurate the matching can be.
Enjoy it all end enjoy the journey.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Midnight Audiophile

That’s just the feel it gave me. I'm not an expert on lounge music but its not confined to the 60s example you cited from the first paragraph.

"It may be meant to evoke in the listeners the feeling of being in a place, usually with a tranquil theme, such as a jungle, an island paradise or outer space. The range of lounge music encompasses beautiful music-influenced instrumentals, modern electronica (with chillout, and downtempo influences), while remaining thematically focused on its retro-space age cultural elements.

Lounge emerged in the late 1980s as a label of endearment by younger fans whose parents had listened to such music in the 1960s. It has enjoyed resurgences in popularity in the 1980s and 1990s, led initially by figures such as Buster Poindexter and Jaymz Bee.

In the early 1990s the lounge revival was in full swing and included such groups as Combustible Edison, Love Jones, The Cocktails, Pink Martini, the High Llamas, Don Tiki, and Nightcaps.

In 2004, the Parisian band Nouvelle Vague released a self-titled album in which they covered songs from the '80s post-punk and new wave genres in the style of Bossa Nova. Other artists have taken lounge music to new heights by recombining rock with pop, such as Jon Brion, The Bird and the Bee, Triangle Sun, Pink Martini, the Buddha-Lounge series, and the surrounding regulars of Café Largo.”

Jds81

I was in my late teens grunge kicked in and I was lucky enough to witness so many bands playing while living in the Bay Area. Name a band from that era and I likely saw them at some point in their climb from bottom to certified rock stars or reluctant stars. I'm older now and can't listen to any of them. Lots of peers into the nostalgia of it all and they just do nothing for me minus a few like Pavement, Pixies, Modest Mouse, and Radiohead to name a few.

I buy vinyl or CD's every week and I stick to new bands and albums I don't know anything about but I've read solid reviews about on Pitchfork, All About Jazz, and Album Of The Year. I like to be challenged these days and am so tired of listening to the same stuff I devoured the past 30 years.

Anyway, it's period of rock I'm burnt on--anything the past 55 years for me.
I'm in the same boat, was beginning to think I was the only one! Was my preteen years that nirvana swept in, but latched onto grunge/alternative. I burned out on it too. I like stuff that isn't too sing song, repetitive. Jazz, especially avante garde is something that fits the bill.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some good tunes there. But the above is far from representative of the genre as a whole. So I can't agree that if you don't like them, you don't like rock. You may not be that into some of the more popular or seminal rock genres or artists of the 60's and 70's. Though I think even that could be a stretch.

Feel free to disagree with me on this. :)
I picked those albums because, IMO, all the rock music made since stems from at least one of them.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Music map is a fairly good music discovery tool. Punch in an artist you like, click on the branches to go further down the rabbit hole.

Curious site. Typed in Peter Gabriel, one of my all time favorites. Genesis of course shows on the map, but further away than Tears For Fears, Oingo Boingo, The Police and George Michaelo_O.

Reactions: MCH

ADU

Major Contributor
Curious site. Typed in Peter Gabriel, one of my all time favorites. Genesis of course shows on the map, but further away than Tears For Fears, Oingo Boingo, The Police and George Michaelo_O.

Added Sting, Meatloaf, and Cy Cumin (of The Fixx) to my list as well.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I love Rock'N'Roll.
I am a Classical and Jazz trained Saxophonist. When I was in Music School, Rock was despised almost universally by everyone. If you played in a Band you were somehow "less" of a musician.
After 6 years of Music School doing Saxophone Performance and Theory/Comp work (Philosophy Minor), playing in the Marching Band, the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, various Jazz ensembles and combos, the "Pep" (Basketball and Special Events) band...
I left home and moved to San Francisco with...
MY ROCK BAND!
~~~
Rock is absolutely a sub-genre of Popular Music and can certainly be called it's own genre at this point. It would clearly not exist if not for the intermingling of the ingredients that brought us Jazz and Blues. While other Popular Music existed long before, and even Folk, it was the cooking in the cauldron of New Orleans that started to blur the lines to the point where directions in musical styling as we know today began to diverge.
As early as the 1920's you start to see references to "Rocking" and "Rolling" (code words for Sex), in Popular Music. The 30's brought us Swing and Jump style Jazz: Music written to Dance to, closely related in many instances to contemporary Blues stylings (Call and Response, Riffs) and continuing to use vocal phrases characterized by euphemism or code. The 40's bring us the distinct category of Rhythm and Blues.
It is here in the early 40's where you truly begin to see the origins of what will later simply become "Rock." However, at this time, another major distinction comes into play that cannot (sadly) be denied: the element of Race.
Early Rhythm and Blues was the catch all phrase applied to music written by and for Blacks. Strangely, it replaced seemed to be meant to replace the term Race Music which is said to originate in the Black community itself. Regardless, at this point we are looking at musicians such as Fats Domino, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Bo Diddley, Cab Calloway, T-Bone Walker... (this list can truly go for pages...) whom are responsible in some manner or other for building up to or evolving the Music to the point in the Early 50's where Rock'NRoll is considered to be born.
Even here, there is still much uncertainty. Some will cite Rocket 88 (1951), others Rock Awhile (1949) as the first Rock'N'Roll Record. Most commonly, the honorific is white-washed and credited to Bill Haley and His Comets the the April '54 record Rock Around the Clock.

Much like Jazz as it developed decades earlier, you still have the back and forth of White musicians being introduced to play music that was otherwise very much a part of Black culture at the time. Perhaps the easiest one for people to understand is Elvis. Elvis wanted to be a Crooner more than anything, something evident in many of his performances. But Hound Dog? No, Hound Dog was originally penned and recorded by Big Mama Thornton in 1952. Moreover, this list can also be dragged out for pages, but a few other quick examples include songs like All Shook Up, Don't Be Cruel, Return To Sender, Great Balls of Fire, and 16 Candles.
Moving beyond race as a component (but only slightly) you also have the evolution of Gospel and other religious themed songs being given a Rhythm and Blues/Rock'N'Roll makeover with Ray Charles, most notably (though he was not the only such musician breaking the barrier between religious and secular themes in music).

The evolution of Rhythm and Blues and Early Rock'N'Roll moved quickly with divergent artists taking the sounds and styles from any- and every- where to come up with something new. Boundaries between Blues, Honkeytonk, Jazz, Gospel, Folk, Country-Western... they all started blurring, merging and mutating along the way. What made one Blues driven band "Metal?" in Led Zeppelin while other such bands didn't warrant such classification?
Undoubtedly, the music begins to change significantly as you move into the '60s, and by the early '70s you can easily begin delineating sub-genres of what is now often just Rock. From Bubblegum and Doo-Wop to Folk Rock, Psychedelic (think early Pink Floyd and sonic recreations of chemical hallucinations), Funk and Disco, Metal, Garage/Psychedelica (think MC5 and the Stooges), Proto-Punk, New Wave... Again, a list that can continue for pages with slight permutations delineating a classification (Is it Metal, Is it Jazz, is it Prog?)
~~~
To me, there isn't anything about Rock to hate. Certainly I know many acts I don't care for, but that does not make them any less important to the revolution of sound that started back in the '30s and can still be found going strong today. You can take your AutoTune and jam it, but even Cher still has a place in the pantheon. :) Hell, there was a time where I listened to Debbie Gibson and Tiffany! Those tapes are long gone from my collection (fortunately) and I can't even remember most of the music (thankfully). :p

One thing is for certain though, Rock IS Counter Culture by definition. It is Rebellion. It is all the "naughty" things that polite people don't talk about. Those polite people can keep the Crew Cuts, I'll take my Brown Sugar and a Jelly Roll! (If you don't know... too bad!) There is a reason why the catch phrase "Sex, Drugs and Rock'N'Roll" exists and it is in this that the Rock thrives.
I once asked my musicology professor who taught the Jazz, Pop and Rock class in my school about it. I was taking this general Music elective as a Grad Level course while still being an undergraduate. There were maybe 7 of us around a table outside the recital hall where the class was taught having a session near the end of the semester. While he often brought up aspects such as code and euphemism, he never touched drug culture as a part of Rock Music or Culture.
Boy did I get a stern talking to for popping that cherry. But my point was made. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? 25 or 6 to 4? Purple Haze? Early Pink Floyd? Grateful Dead? Lets not forget the impact of Cocaine and Heroin both on Music, as well. Of course, there is Cannabis, too... And all of this can be found in coded reference throught the history of American Music dating back to early Jazz and, most definitely, Rock.

Anyway, I can't imagine my life without Rock as a foundation of my musical upbringing. The simple truth is that as a baby of the '70s and a child of the '80s, my youth was defined by Rock. While I lived and breathed Legit and Jazz studies for a long time... at the end of the day I'm a Rocker!

Written by Willie Dixon and recorded by Muddy Waters in 1954, Hoochie Coochie Man is, for me, one of the most definitive songs that is truly Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Rock all at the same time. Can you separate them?

Muddy Waters, live 1971:
Steppenwolf:
Or how about Willie Dixon and Stephen Stills?

sign-of-the-horns_1f918.png

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was in my late teens grunge kicked in and I was lucky enough to witness so many bands playing while living in the Bay Area. Name a band from that era and I likely saw them at some point in their climb from bottom to certified rock stars or reluctant stars. I'm older now and can't listen to any of them. Lots of peers into the nostalgia of it all and they just do nothing for me minus a few like Pavement, Pixies, Modest Mouse, and Radiohead to name a few.

I buy vinyl or CD's every week and I stick to new bands and albums I don't know anything about but I've read solid reviews about on Pitchfork, All About Jazz, and Album Of The Year. I like to be challenged these days and am so tired of listening to the same stuff I devoured the past 30 years.

Anyway, it's period of rock I'm burnt on--anything the past 55 years for me.
The Bay Area had some of the best, if not the best Thrash Metal scene: Slayer, Testament, Dark Angel, Exodus... Well, yeah, and also Metallica and Megadeth, but those are meh.

That said, the "rock" I like takes those cases and pushes them to its limit. I listen to a lot of Black and Death Metal, but I think the op will not like anything remotely close to it.

So for Rock, just that, I'm partial to Fats Domino.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Rock all at the same time. Can you separate them?
This is the right track IMHO. Pink Floyd doesn't have a single blues. It's called progressive rock but I don't see the musical relation with previous rock music aside from the instruments. However, many rock bands have blues themes on their repertoire and shine at them. Just like King Crimson if you want, it's just a different road, a different aesthetic code, a different purpose.

Edit: After some thought... Shine on your crazy diamond has something of a blues, right? :)

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
This is the right track IMHO. Pink Floyd doesn't have a single blues. It's called progressive rock but I don't see the musical relation with previous rock music aside from the instruments. However, many rock bands have blues themes on their repertoire and shine at them. Just like King Crimson if you want, it's just a different road, a different aesthetic code, a different purpose.

Edit: After some thought... Shine on your crazy diamond has something of a blues, right? :)
Pink Floyd is named after two old Blues/R&B Musicians in Floyd Council and Pink Anderson. And they do have some Blues influence in their early works (as Pink Floyd) that show up in several places. Admittedly, I think once Dave joined the band in place of Syd, some of the Blues influence got stronger. With that in mind, their pre-'67 sound was very much in the Blues revival style popular in England and it was Syd's own writings and their experimentation with Drugs that took them away from the R&B sound once they started recording original material.
Off the top of my head, there is a B side that showed up on Relics, Seamus on Meddle, some stuff in the two early soundtrack albums for La Vallee (Obscured By Clouds) and More.

Even Prog Rock, which I liken to Rock for trained Musicians :p will have elements of other styles. Even Jazz can inform the style as seen in some of the Steely Dan sound or Phish (where Grateful Dead had more Blues and Bluegrass in their early stylings). Look at Jethro Tull and their first album This Was; all Blues with a strong flavor still permeating some of their other early works beyond Aqualung and Thick as A Brick. I like to look at some of Emerson Lake and Palmer for another glance at what you can get in Prog Rock (a live adaptation of Pictures At An Exhibition!).
In a way, this was a big part of the overall Rock scene: there were no rules! Even though they were all borrowing in some way from music that came before, what these musicians were doing was new. It was a new sound and a new presentation.

ADU

Major Contributor
So Tina Turner is the only black rock singer you could think of and Björk the only non-native English speaker? Hmm ...

I can understand why rock is often characterised as 'white guys with guitars' ... ;-)

I tried to include what I thought was a good mix of male and female artists. There are some gaps though, here and there. :) And there were obviously lots of great black singers/performers in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. But they were largely in other genres like funk, soul, R&B, hip-hop and rap.

A few of the oldtime rockers were still around. And there were some hip-hop artists that used more rock-inspired beats for some of their tracks, like Run DMC, Public Enemy, Ice T, LL Cool J, and so forth. I think it'd be a stretch to classify most of them as rock singers though, since they mostly did rap. The only other black alt-rockers I can think of from that era are Darius Rucker of Hootie & the Blowfish, and Fishbone. And Prince (who I've added to the list).

Still thinkin, but I added a few more to my list, including Alice Cooper, Lou Gramm of Foreigner, Brad Delp of Boston, Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran and Richard Butler of Psychedelic Furs. Some of these guys did not have as distinctive voices or vocals as some others. But they were still good performers, and put out alot of good tunes. Also added Sinead O'Connor.

Last edited:

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Don't forget Punk Rock
View attachment 222637
I used be disgusted, But now I'm amused, since my wings got rusted, and the angels wan'a wear my red shoes
I love Costello and he certainly covers a lot of genres and has a few numbers that are punk-ish but IMHO he's way too polished to be "punk".

Not saying you're wrong (or I'm right) just throwing that out there cause I've the above internal discussion bouncing around my head for decades lol.

Cheers

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I come a little after the boomers, so these would probably be some of the canonical rock singers of my generation....

Fiona Apple
Bjork of The Sugarcubes
Bono of U2
David Bowie
Kate Bush
David Byrne of Talking Heads
Eric Clapton
Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
Brian Connolly of (The) Sweet
Alice Cooper
Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins
Chris Cornell of Soundgarden
Elvis Costello
Cy Cumin of The Fixx
Ian Curtis of Warsaw/Joy Division
Martha Davis of The Motels
Brad Delp of Boston
Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction
Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins of Genesis
Lou Gramm of Foreigner
Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters
Debbie Harry of Blondie
George Harrison of The Beatles
Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders
Billy Idol
Joan Jett of Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers
Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran
Annie Lennox of The Eurythmics
Jeff Lynne of ELO
Marilyn Manson
Shirley Manson of Garbage
Paul McCartney of The Wings/Beatles
Meatloaf
Freddie Mercury of Queen
Morrissey of The Smiths
Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo
Peter Murphy of Bauhaus
Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac
Ric Ocasek of The Cars
Sinead O'Connor
Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries
Steve Perry of Journey
Tom Petty of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Kate Pierson, Cindy Wilson, and Fred Schnieder of The B-52's
Iggy Pop of Iggy & the Stooges
Prince
Joey Ramone of The Ramones
Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails
Linda Ronstadt
Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses
Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie & the Banshees
Robert Smith of The Cure
Bruce Springsteen
Paul Stanley of KISS
Rod Stewart of Faces
Sting of The Police
Michael Stipe of REM
Neil Tennant of The Pet Shop Boys
Tina Turner
Steven Tyler of Aerosmith
Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam
Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart
Thom Yorke of Radiohead

I'm leavin out the metal singers, like Ozzy, etc., and some other good alt/grunge singers. It's a start though. :)
Mark Mothersbaugh? Dude's body of work is amazing but....maybe not on my list of great singers. I know, it's not my list lol.

Also just off the top of my head I would suggest Roger Daltry and Janis Joplin.:)

Reactions: ADU

ADU

Major Contributor
Mark Mothersbaugh? Dude's body of work is amazing but....maybe not on my list of great singers. I know, it's not my list lol.

I should perhaps amend that to Mark and Gerald Casale, as I think they both handled lead on some songs. :) Mark is the one I remember best though.

Also just off the top of my head I would suggest Roger Daltry and Janis Joplin.:)

No arguments there. Joplin, Hendrix, The Doors, and early Daltry/The Who was a bit before my time though, as were The Beatles, Stones and Zep. So that's why I didn't include many of those kinds of groups/artists.

I was always a big George Harrison fan though, and liked most of Paul's songs with Wings in the 70's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom