• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs longer than 5 Minutes

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a big crazy fan of late 90's, early 00's house, hard house, trance, hard trance.

I am not a producer and only listen.

I think trance and progressive type music can have longer track length beacause for every chorus you can build it up that is what progressive music is all about that feeling of the music is lifting you up. The last chorus or each consecutive chorus can be tweaked with its pitch or octave, I do not know the exact terms and don't want to talk as if I am an expert but I think you know what I mean.

I also think the tracks BPM has a lot to do with it, music that are often faster than 130bpm can play with each coming chorus while if its under 130bpm usually listeners enjoy it for its cruisy more laid back type of feel of beat.

It would help if we knew what exact genre of dance music your playing. At least from my perspective a lot of the modern progressive dark techno under 130bpm might not benefit from long track lengths while over 130bpm old skool hard house or trance that has a 3 often 4th sometimes 5th chorus that comes back can be manipulated for superb progressive uplifting type music.

I will be happy to provide more feedback the problem being is I am old skool and the only modern dance music I listen to is tech house and the the new hard techno that has taken over Europe(reminds me of old skool hard trance). I haven't listen to much of the recent techno variations but you mention progressive house and trance.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
my first release will be 7 minutes long. Do you think that's still possible these days?

If it engages the listener then I don't see a problem regardless of length. There are 'pop' songs that are boring after a minute. Other tracks leave you wanting more after 15. I regularly listen to tracks lasting 20 or 30 minutes or more – often recommended to me by Spotify's algorithm – but a well-crafted 3 minute song can be satisfying too. I wouldn't try second guessing the streaming algorithms. Just make the tracks you want to make and see what happens ...

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there still a regular industry for the shorter tracks? I know when I was a lot younger, that was the thing, even a long track would have a radio release that was far shorter. With radio and their revenue streams not being particularly the norm now, just wonder.....
Back in the 70's and possibly even into the 80's (and earlier) songs were limited to around 3 minutes so that they could fit on one side of a 7" single record.

With the advent of CD, this largely became obsolete, however I do note that a lot of CD singles were still under 5 minutes in length.

I also think that length was limited due to radio air time (few stations wanted to play a 10 minute long song - and few still do I think).

D

Deleted member 48726

I listen to many longer tracks in the EDM / Trance / House genres. I like them a lot for continuity while running for example but also when I'm working at home. I find that many folk tracks also are longer than 5 min. I don't think it's problem with short tracks. For me anyway.

Top Bottom