• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

D

Deleted member 15871

I read it. Yup. Not everyone has the money or opportunity to buy a few types of amps for in-home auditions. So unfortunately we heavily rely on user reviews, professional reviews and technical reviews, the last being the rarest. Therefore people like yourself and myself need to do our best to be absolutely sure which actually is not possible. But we need to get as close as possible.
Older people like myself, long for the days when we could walk into an audio shop to audition gear. But when I think about it, that was wholly subjective and unscientific with few real bench tests. So in a way, aren’t we better off today with plurality of subjective reviews and an occasional objective tests?

Are we better off?
We might be, but sure doesn't feel like it. I'm older too.
When I lived in Japan there was a shop owned and run by a real gentleman. Mr. Harada from Shizuoka. When I entered his shop I'd sit down, have a cup of green tea and chat..
Got my Maggie's from him. Her let me try them out before paying. He did that with every piece of gear I got from him. He let me audition a McIntosh integrated. Yes, it looked cool, but didn't have enough power for the Maggie's. That was in the early 90's which was a great time for me. Bills won 4 AFC Championship's in a row and Shizuoka was a very pleasant place to live. Mt. Fuji was right there, big and jaw dropping. Got to do some AM Radio work too. That was so much fun. I degress. Things take 3 months to get to me after they're shipped. I have to almost forget about it. Forghetta-bout-it.
Joe

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Wow, that’s a long time. Which in this world environment it may take that long no matter what is ordered. I live in the US so a shipment from the UK might take a while.

there were several chains here where I live but they’re all gone. The only one left is pretty much high end.

it sounds like you have great memories. My best memories where from when I was a kid drooling over silver faced heavy units with stainless steel toggle switches. But I was too young to afford them.

hopefully Amir’s Iotavx review will appear soon. While it has all the features I’d appreciate I won’t pull the trigger till the review. I would be upset with myself if I order prematurely only to find that scientific reviews do not support other reviews out there.

good luck to your search! All in all, the Hunt is still fun

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Their surround pre-amplifier looks like a steal. I hope somebody in the US can get one to Amir.

Ian shipped my IOTAVX 7.1 AV Preamp today, and it is scheduled to arrive in Miami on Thursday. It might get to me here in Western Panama by the following Thursday, and I will be ready to set up my 3.0 channels. Took him just over a week to ship an in-stock product, but I'm o.k with that. I just wish had had included a ship date with his "Thank you for your order" email.

If its going to Panama I guess there is no chance you can have it end up at Amir for some measurements :D?

Last edited:

gfx_1

I'd love to see a photo of this configuration.

iotavx.jpg

We see the back of the SA3/PA3 stack in bridged mode. Right speaker on the top, left on the bottom. Out of view an interlink from the Pre-out of the SA3 to the Amp-in of the PA3. On the right the Bluetooth dongle and two (supplied) cables for the trigger which turns the PA3 on with the SA3 and the dimmer for the brightness control of the logo on front. Optical in is for the PS4. The onboard DAC is fine but switches with relays if the samplerate changes so a Topping D50s on top for the computer (optical) and raspberry pi (coax).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15871

View attachment 63376
We see the back of the SA3/PS3 stack in bridged mode. Right speaker on the top, left on the bottom. Out of view an interlink from the Pre-out of the SA3 to the Amp-in of the PA3. On the right the Bluetooth dongle and two (supplied) cables for the trigger which turns the PA3 on with the SA3 and and the dimmer for the brightness control of the logo on front. Optical in is for the PS4. The onboard DAC is fine but switches with relays if the samplerate changes so a D50s on top for the computer (optical) and raspberry (coax)

Thank you very much!

D

Deleted member 15871

Wow, that’s a long time. Which in this world environment it may take that long no matter what is ordered. I live in the US so a shipment from the UK might take a while.

there were several chains here where I live but they’re all gone. The only one left is pretty much high end.

it sounds like you have great memories. My best memories where from when I was a kid drooling over silver faced heavy units with stainless steel toggle switches. But I was too young to afford them.

hopefully Amir’s Iotavx review will appear soon. While it has all the features I’d appreciate I won’t pull the trigger till the review. I would be upset with myself if I order prematurely only to find that scientific reviews do not support other reviews out there.

good luck to your search! All in all, the Hunt is still fun

Yes! Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack this thread.
I just learned about IOTA equipment the other day from Zero Fidelity on YouTube. Tee-Jay did a review as well comparing the IOTA STACK to the Emotive Stack. Warning: Not a Mid-Western accent.
The "hunt" is back on!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congratulations! What amp will you be using?

Because I am a retired American expatriate who lives in another country (Panama) on my Social Security pension, my budget is limited. So for amplification, I will start with what I already own - a Classé Model seventy (70wpc, Class AB, 19" wide, 35 lbs) for L/R and add a Fosi monaural ChiFi amp for the center. (I keep a couple of ChiFi amps around for backup incase I have problems with my primary components. I already lost a lower-power Teac AbleTec amp to a lightning strike here in the tropical highlands where I live.)

As much as I admire the somewhat more expensive Hypex Ncore and Purifi amplifiers, for the final configuration, I already have a Ghent Audio stereo XLR case that I bought about a year ago. It is designed for an ICEpower 200ASC amp module with a power supply plus a second smaller 200AC "hanger" module that uses "jumpers" to "share" the power supply of the 200ASC module. These modules provide about 100WPC at 8Ω. I will soon buy another Ghent case, a mono version that is the same width and height, but shorter front to back. It will house one 200ASC module, and has switchable XLR and RCA inputs.

Although the ICEpower 125AXS DIY amp that @amirm tested had modest results and some issues, I have seem comments around the internet that the 200ASC is a completely different design, and I hope that information is correct. The Ghent versions are small, light weight, and energy efficient - and there's even an ASR member who recently built one and documented his experience, adding to my favorible impression of it.

ICEpower 200ASC modules have an excellent heritage (although none have been measured by @amirm ). Earlier versions of the ICEpower 200ASC modules were used by Bel Canto, and Cary offered their Model CAA-1 (one in mint condition is for sale right now at USAudiomart).

Cary CAA-1 Amp Back.jpg

and even a gorgeous little Jeff Rowland amplifier - the Model 102 with the classic shimmering aluminum case milled from a billet of solid aluminum. (A black one is currently listed on Yahoo Audtions - Japan - pic shows companion "Capri" preamp) I think this is the most beautiful basic-style preamp/amp pair I have ever seen - but they are rather expensive - $3-4K for the pair - used!

JR  102 Amp.jpg

So my Ghent ICEpower amps, with their utilitarian industrial look will be in good company.

Reactions: wje

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their surround pre-amplifier looks like a steal. I hope somebody in the US can get one to Amir.
If its going to Panama I guess there is no chance you can have it end up at Amir for some measurements :D?

In my many hours of searching and reading reviews, I found nothing else like the IOTAVX 7.1 4K AVP. It appears to be as well-made and with just the right basic assortment of features for me - only HDMI and no useless old composite video output, some DSP, and balanced XLR outputs in a fairly compact case. The only thing I might wish for is USB digital audio input, because, if I remember correctly, most of the HDMI DACs that Amir has tested so far are not that good. I might be able to use an outboard USB DAC like the Topping D10 feeding the RCA analog inputs of the IOTAVX, but I'm guessing that the HDMI path from my Intel NUC mini-PC to the IOTAVX will perform at least below audibility for SINAD.

You are correct, @Koeitje , about the problem of shipping it to Amir for testing and measurement. I mentioned in another post that the cheapest way to get shipments from Asia or Europe is to ship via a Panama package forwarder in Miami, Florida. Because of online shopping, there is a very busy air route moving consumer goods daily from the U.S. to Panama. When goods pass through the U.S. to another country, there is no US duty to pay. However, If it goes to Amir in Seattle, duty must be paid.

While I was typing this post, I got two emails - one from DHL and another from IOTA that the AVP is out for delivery in MIami today, which means that I should be able to pick it up along with the L/R/C Wharfedale D320/D300C speakers 40km down the mountain at the forwarding facility next Thursday. :D

Side note: I may even buy a 55" 4K LCD TV for my small room to replace my 40" 1080p Samsung, because I like to feel like I'm right in the video - and the IOTAVX does 4K. Selling my 40" unit would make the "upgrade price" only $200-250!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
In my many hours of searching and reading reviews, I found nothing else like the IOTAVX 7.1 4K AVP. It appears to be as well-made and with just the right basic assortment of features for me - only HDMI and no useless old composite video output, some DSP, and balanced XLR outputs in a fairly compact case. The only thing I might wish for is USB digital audio input, because, if I remember correctly, most of the HDMI DACs that Amir has tested so far are not that good. I might be able to use an outboard USB DAC like the Topping D10 feeding the RCA analog inputs of the IOTAVX, but I'm guessing that the HDMI path from my Intel NUC mini-PC to the IOTAVX will perform at least below audibility for SINAD.

You are correct, @Koeitje , about the problem of shipping it to Amir for testing and measurement. I mentioned in another post that the cheapest way to get shipments from Asia or Europe is to ship via a Panama package forwarder in Miami, Florida. Because of online shopping, there is a very busy air route moving consumer goods daily from the U.S. to Panama. When goods pass through the U.S. to another country, there is no US duty to pay. However, If it goes to Amir in Seattle, duty must be paid.

While I was typing this post, I got two emails - one from DHL and another from IOTA that the AVP is out for delivery in MIami today, which means that I should be able to pick it up along with the L/R/C Wharfedale D320/D300C speakers 40km down the mountain at the forwarding facility next Thursday. :D

Side note: I may even buy a 55" 4K LCD TV for my small room to replace my 40" 1080p Samsung, because I like to feel like I'm right in the video - and the IOTAVX does 4K. Selling my 40" unit would make the "upgrade price" only $200-250!
Yes, I noticed your other post about the US duty right after I posted this. Well I hope that we can somehow get one of these to Amir, because on paper is looks like a very attractive option. But it scares me that they don't have any specifications on their website or in the manual.

Appleguy33

Is there an update on the review of this unit? I tried to wait it out but pulled the trigger today on the combo. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Yeah that’s where I’m at too. It’s over 7 weeks since I became aware of the review. The iotavx is in stock and so are a few vintage Amps I keep looking each day. I can’t bring my self to pull the trigger on either choice. I know if I do, the review will appear and I could be regretting whichever choice I made.

my problem is if I wait much longer another issue will come along to claim the money I put aside:)

TimoJ

@amirm - Just received notice from DHL that the IOTAVX SA3 is out for delivery today. :cool::D:eek::p
Have you verified that @amirm actually got the package? Maybe it was left to his neighbours door and he's been happily listening it for the last two months.. :)

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Have you verified that @amirm actually got the package? Maybe it was left to his neighbours door and he's been happily listening it for the last two months.. :)

No. He has possession of it - confirmed. :cool::p:cool:

TXinD76121

Yeah that’s where I’m at too. It’s over 7 weeks since I became aware of the review. The iotavx is in stock and so are a few vintage Amps I keep looking each day. I can’t bring my self to pull the trigger on either choice. I know if I do, the review will appear and I could be regretting whichever choice I made.

my problem is if I wait much longer another issue will come along to claim the money I put aside:)

I've moved on. Went for a Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated, used, instead.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I've moved on. Went for a Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated, used, instead.
For $799.00 ? Listed on eBay? I came real close to buying that one haha. I was on the phone with the seller too. Nice guy. Good deal. I just never went through with it. That’s a good amp. I’m still waiting. Amir is rattling through a oF lot of reviews. Just not if the ioutavx!

TXinD76121

No, I bought the one from Lou at Record Mart in Times Square. They're dealing used gear under the name Record Mart HiFi now. This one:

https://recordmarthifi.com/collections/frontpage/products/musical-fidelity-a3-5-integrated-amplifier

I was telling myself that I wasn't going to be sentimental or nostalgic when putting this new system together, but I have a lot of history with MF. I owned Anthony's very first product, called "The Preamp"—the first one, with the glass front painted black from behind, not the II. Wish I still had it. And I knew the first U.S. importer of the brand, Dick Schaus of Audio International in Georgetown D.C., the one who got Anthony to change the name from British Fidelity to Musical Fidelity (I believe, not entirely sure of that one). Dick used to pay me $50 to help him offload cartons of MF gear from the shipping containers that came in from the UK—those semi drivers negotiating Geogetown's narrow old Colonial-era streets to back the containers into the loading dock was quite a feat. I just heard a week or two ago that Anthony sold his company to Hans Lichtenegger two years ago or so. Seemed sad, like the end of an era, to me. I thought it would be apropos for me to own a Michaelson-era MF piece. Always had a soft spot for that brand.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Yup. Same seller. I spoke with Lou. I came very close to buying that! Haha. Glad you got it. He had it on eBay too with a slightly higher price to offset the 10% eBay commission. I saw it on eBay and tracked it down directly to Lou.

MF is a good brand. again, glad you got it as you have a personal history with the brand. That was a good sample with box etc.

I’m trying to hold out for the review but I may end up buying a restored vintage amp. But trying to hold off. The Iotavx has all the features I prefer but not at the expense of performance.
The one thing that vintage has over the newer equipment is serviceability and although in a sense, old technology is obsolete regarding features, vintage never goes outta style!

TXinD76121

Yup. Same seller. I spoke with Lou. I came very close to buying that! Haha. Glad you got it. He had it on eBay too with a slightly higher price to offset the 10% eBay commission. I saw it on eBay and tracked it down directly to Lou.

MF is a good brand. again, glad you got it as you have a personal history with the brand. That was a good sample with box etc.

I’m trying to hold out for the review but I may end up buying a restored vintage amp. But trying to hold off. The Iotavx has all the features I prefer but not at the expense of performance.
The one thing that vintage has over the newer equipment is serviceability and although in a sense, old technology is obsolete regarding features, vintage never goes outta style!

Well, I've had some troubles with vintage. I've been playing in that area for actually quite a few years now, although for the past 5 years I've been on hiatus from audio altogether. My sorties into vintage ended when I bought a "fully restored" Accuphase E-202 and paid what at the time was a premium for it (it isn't any more--they've gone up in price quite a bit), and it lasted a matter of months before developing the turn-on relay problem, which is apparently a known known with that unit. Some techs says it can't be fixed because it requires a part that's NLA, some techs that specialize in the E-202, like Amplifier Surgery, have worked out workarounds. But that's $695 and shipping x2, and I already have a lot sunk into the old thing. Now I don't know how I'm going to get it out of the house.

Sounded sweet when it worked, though. I thought I had finally found "my" amp.

That's the trouble with vintage...something can always go wrong, and then, after you get it put it right, something can always go wrong. :facepalm:

But then, my first attempt to buy a used car, for $500 in 1977, was an absolute disaster—I mean comically so, in an exaggerated, everything-that-could-possibly-go-wrong-went-wrong kinda way—and yet my then-friend Mark Fowle bought a used car for $375 in 1973 and put nothing into it except gas and oil for the next six years and it was as reliable as rain the whole time. So it can go either way. Some people are charmed when it comes to vintage, some are cursed.

Would you call the A3.5 "vintage"? What was it, 2005-6 or so? I seem to remember it was only a current product for a relatively short time.

Top Bottom