• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intona USB 3.0 Isolator Review

tw99

Most/all of the information on the internet about this product is from subjective HiFi forums. $360 seems more like an audiophile price, than a price based on the actual contents of the box, given it's very simple function. If there is a real world application for this box outside of audiophoolery, what is it as $360 seems a lot of money for what it does outside of the audiophile pricing world?

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had problems with noise which was driving me crazy using a NUC for HT, I could fix it for a while moving interconnects and swapping them out but it kept coming back. In the end I cut the plug off the power supply and put a new plug on leaving off the earth, this fixed it. I figured the NUC doesnt have earth protection as its power plug is a 2 pin device so its for the brick which is made of plastic. I could be wrong but Its now silent so I am happy.

Was the mains cable colour coded? If not, it's possible you swapped the live and neutral around - this often has the same effect if a switch mode PSU is being used.

Veri

Master Contributor
Most/all of the information on the internet about this product is from subjective HiFi forums. $360 seems more like an audiophile price, than a price based on the actual contents of the box, given it's very simple function. If there is a real world application for this box outside of audiophoolery, what is it as $360 seems a lot of money for what it does outside of the audiophile pricing world?
The Intona 2.0 achieves 5.0kV isolation. The 3.0 is just to support USB 3.0 devices like DACs (iFi comes to mind) but actually achieves only 2.5kV isolation... This new version with optional (linear supply) power input is just an audiophile "toy"/ tweak, yes. The 2.0 was originally made for industrial use though, for example USB operating machines that need the isolation to eliminate any noise problems/issues, possibly even for safety.
https://pro.intona.eu/en/products/7054#applications

Intona now caters to audiophiles, because why wouldn't they. Many of them are gullible enough to buy this "cheap" $300+ tweak o_O

miero

How about testing an USB isolator in a situation where a ground loop would exist without the isolator?

AP has galvanically isolated inputs, so there is no ground loop without an additional device (e.g. power amplifier connected into the chain).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How about testing an USB isolator in a situation where a ground loop would exist without the isolator?

AP has galvanically isolated inputs, so there is no ground loop without an additional device (e.g. power amplifier connected into the chain).
Unbalanced isn't.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have an Intona USB 2.0 Isolator for that reason between my PC and a RME ADI 2 DAC (with Neumann KH 310). Without the Intona on some occasions (for example when starting a video-playback) i heard crackling noise or humming induced by the PC when the RME is switched off and the KH are switched on.
I don´t think there was noise when the RME was switched on, though, so it wasn´t a big problem. I asked about this on the RME forum and the Intona was suggested as a "pro" solution to this grounding issue.

And it just works. Everything is silent now in every situation, that´s all it does. So i´m happy with the Intona, even if it cost me around 250 Euro.

Zoomer

You don't have to spend that kind of money. I got rid of grounding issues and noise with the 83.75€ Hifime High Speed USB Isolator.

No bogus "audiophile" claims either:

Will it improve the sound quality from my DAC?
It depends. If you are experiencing noise problems, then it will probably remove or reduce those if they are caused by a ground loop. The noise could also be caused by other factors, like the microphone or preamp itself (some gear are noisy!), the isolator will not help with that. It can also clear up the sound from ground issues that is not so apparent, creating a clearer background in the audio. If your computer has a good quality USB DC supply then the isolator might not further improve the sound quality.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Given the market the isolator is intended for, the price probably isn't all that unreasonable.
Basically you are buying a lot of assurances, and insurance on those assurances that the device won't kill you, or anyone else, either directly or due to any malfunction. It is good to 5kV. That isn't trivial.

Any gear for industrial use comes at a premium in price, and anything with a safety role multiplies that price.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have yet to see a USB3 DAC. For some unfathomable reason, iFi DACs have USB3 connectors, but the SS pins are not connected internally.
Well that's silly. :/ pretty sure they claim USB3 themselves!

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Amir,
I do want to live in the Matrix reality. Which is why I own the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) ;-)

Best,
Anand.

sam

Surprised to see that there is actually an effect!

martin900

Makes me wonder how well the SoTM trifecta does in a test.
Any chance on testing one of these?
- sMS-200 Ultra
- sPS- 500 PSU
- tx-USBultra USB regenerator

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ground loops are not uncommon. Is it possible to measure this device and DACs in a hostile environment?

- Rich

TomB19

This is probably a useful device for situations that call for running USB more than 5m.

I think a more careful analysis of why it costs particularly more than other USB extenders might be more interesting.

Top Bottom