• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intona USB 3.0 Isolator Review

mansr

Major Contributor
This is probably a useful device for situations that call for running USB more than 5m.

I think a more careful analysis of why it costs particularly more than other USB extenders might be more interesting.
This is an isolator, not an extender. It's expensive because the isolation barrier can withstand several kilovolts.

TomB19

In order to accomplish that, it mush surely reframe USB content. That makes it a repeater.

If it's cat 3 rated, it might be ideal in an industrial setting where $400 won't buy a decent multimeter.

Veri

Master Contributor
In order to accomplish that, it mush surely reframe USB content. That makes it a repeater.
The USB 3.0 one mentions use of optical converter to achieve higher galvanic isolation.. From Intona:

About the USB 2.0, it is internally all the same Intona module that is ready for 5kV. The difference is about the internal 3.0 isolation. This is done in a analog discrete manner using capacitors as galvanic barrier in the 7055-C. The new model has a laser-based optical part here. This is execptional expensive but the only way to get that high isolation.

TomB19

it's obviously a redriver, but that isn't its primary purpose.

That means it can be used to chain another 5m and remain within the USB spec.

This could come in handy in some situations. :)

TomB19

No, it doesn't. It would have to be a hub to allow that.

I'm skeptical this is purely a layer 1 device. It would be cheaper and easier to reframe the USB flow using off the shelf parts and an optoisolator.

Looking through the hardware table would tell us if it appears as a hub, or not.

mansr

Major Contributor
I'm skeptical this is purely a layer 1 device. It would be cheaper and easier to reframe the USB flow using off the shelf parts and an optoisolator.

Looking through the hardware table would tell us if it appears as a hub, or not.
@amirm, is the Intona device pass-through, or does it present as a hub?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about testing an USB isolator in a situation where a ground loop would exist without the isolator?

AP has galvanically isolated inputs, so there is no ground loop without an additional device (e.g. power amplifier connected into the chain).
I tried all that including forcing loops but found no difference with and without the device. The ground loops needs to be caused by usb to matter, not elsewhere.

Tks

Major Contributor

3qdae1.jpg

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Amir, if I recall, didn't you say you have ground loop issues running USB to your system and therefor are using optical connection to resolve it? Could this box cure your ground loop issues/have you even tried it? Thanks.

I just saw you answered that question. I'll shut up now.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They have been building these isolators for industrial applications where a high voltage device is being controlled over USB and you need full isolation in case something goes bad (you don't want that high voltage to travel back through USB to your computer).
I can attest to this. A couple of weeks ago I powered up my Focusrite interface from my guitar, the strings of which accidentally touched the live of a 110 VAC mains outlet. It fried the Focusrite and the motherboard. Cost me over $1000.

It was a spectacular shred, btw, with sparks and bits of molten guitar string on the floor.

TomB19

Well, it's obviously a redriver, but that isn't its primary purpose.

From another web site (I apologize if this violates posting rules):

"The 7054-based USB Hi-Speed Isolator is a phy-level receiver, isolator, reclocker, re-packetiser working at a bidirectional bandwidth of 480 MBit/s. It does not translate or distort data packets like a hub, but reproduces and re-clocks the original data by 100%."

https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/intona_usb_isolator_e.html``

ryohnosuke

I'm disappointed with Intona isolators. I bought the new one "USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator 5kV" and althought this device deliver 5v 500mA it just doesn't turn on pasive devices like "MATRIX X-SPDIF 2" or "Pro-Ject Pre Box s2" or any other but USB pendrives. The isolator have weird behaviour: When I plug and unplug the aux power port the voltage drops to 4volts. When the isolator is in "4volts state" it CAN turn on any device, seems like USB port restart itself and it just works fine.

Intona support found this issue and gave me a new "fixed" isolator that works WORSE than the previous one. I reported the new issues 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for their response.

Edit: Seems like 2000mA PSU or bigger did the trick.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm disappointed with Intona isolators. I bought the new one "USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Isolator 5kV" and althought this device deliver 5v 500mA it just doesn't turn on pasive devices like "MATRIX X-SPDIF 2" or "Pro-Ject Pre Box s2" or any other but USB pendrives. The isolator have weird behaviour: When I plug and unplug the aux power port the voltage drops to 4volts. When the isolator is in "4volts state" it CAN turn on any device, seems like USB port restart itself and it just works fine.

Intona support found this issue and gave me a new "fixed" isolator that works WORSE than the previous one. I reported the new issues 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for their response.
Oh wow :/ sounds like it is still in beta stage. I've used the old 'Industrial 2.0' one without the aux port and it worked well enough, no problems.

ryohnosuke

Oh wow :/ sounds like it is still in beta stage. I've used the old 'Industrial 2.0' one without the aux port and it worked well enough, no problems.
I thought the new one was better :'(. Actually the new issue is:

1. Isolator USB B + Power Aux = 3volts (pasive device with lot of reboots due lack of power)
2. Isolator USB B only = 5 volts (doesn't turn on any pasive device, seems like a power protection fault)
3. Power Aux Only = 5 volts (pasive device works! haha)

The ony way to use it is by plug and unplug quickly the aux power...

I want to think the Intona support take all this time without reply my support ticket in order to fix this issue.

Edit: 2000mA PSU did the trick.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I can attest to this. A couple of weeks ago I powered up my Focusrite interface from my guitar, the strings of which accidentally touched the live of a 110 VAC mains outlet. It fried the Focusrite and the motherboard. Cost me over $1000.

It was a spectacular shred, btw, with sparks and bits of molten guitar string on the floor.

Sounds pretty epic...

It's at least a good story!

That was a few seconds of more excitement than you need...

Top Bottom