• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intona USB 3.0 Isolator Review

sq225917

Major Contributor
Doesn't have to a gnd loop, could simply be earth leakage, or noise on the 5v line.

nnitr

You can try running it with battery only. The fact Toslink stops it pretty well means it is a ground loop problem. You also might try other USB ports on your computer.
It is a desktop PC and I have tried every USB port on it already, thanks.
I‘m trying to research right now, whether a USB isolator or something like the jcat USB XE would fix this problem more efficient.

@sq225917: Do you believe a USB isolator would help in this regard?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you hear the hum listening over headphones from the RME?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, when using headphones (both outputs) everything is quiet.
Okay, I would suggest trying some of those two prong to three prong adapters on your speakers. This lifts the safety ground which can be a source of ground loops. I don't know this is a problem, but this is a cheap way to test it. If the hum and other noise goes away, or goes down a great deal it probably is a ground loop issue. The adapters look something like this and should be pretty cheap like a few bucks.

1672704686326.png

This is not a safe permanent solution. It should not damage anything as a test. One way to continue using these and be safe is to swap out your electrical outlets on your speakers to GFCI outlets and it should be safe to continue using these. Or use some GFCI adapter plugs, and these two prong adapters together.
These adpaters should also be available at the big box hardware stores if you are in the USA.

Last edited:

paudio

You can run an apple dongle dac off a cheap adum isolator just fine. I would suggest going balanced if your speakers support it as balanced cables dont connect grounds

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a desktop PC and I have tried every USB port on it already, thanks.
I‘m trying to research right now, whether a USB isolator or something like the jcat USB XE would fix this problem more efficient.

@sq225917: Do you believe a USB isolator would help in this regard?
If optical connection solves the problem, then a USB isolator also should. However, be aware not all usb isolators are equal.

Ideally you want one that fully isolates the power - I believe the IFI defender will do this. It might need an isolated power supply for one side of it also.

I'm concerned though that your xlr connections are not also giving you immunity. Is it a fully balanced connection? (Balanced out on DAC to balanced in on speakers) Both for the mains, and the sub? Do you have any other connections to the speakers? Are the XLR connections fully populated (all three wires) and wired correctly (ground not connected to either of the signals). Does the noise happen on all speakers or just one? If just one does it follow the cable if you move it to a different speaker?

You should not be getting audible ground noise on correctly implemented balanced connections, unless the noise source is horrendous.

nnitr

I just wanted to report back real quick, that the Intona isolator solved my problem immediately.

No more humming at all. I believe it was actually the super noisy source, that was exacerbated when playing games and running the GPU at full throttle.

If optical connection solves the problem, then a USB isolator also should. However, be aware not all usb isolators are equal.

Ideally you want one that fully isolates the power - I believe the IFI defender will do this. It might need an isolated power supply for one side of it also.

I'm concerned though that your xlr connections are not also giving you immunity. Is it a fully balanced connection? (Balanced out on DAC to balanced in on speakers) Both for the mains, and the sub? Do you have any other connections to the speakers? Are the XLR connections fully populated (all three wires) and wired correctly (ground not connected to either of the signals). Does the noise happen on all speakers or just one? If just one does it follow the cable if you move it to a different speaker?

You should not be getting audible ground noise on correctly implemented balanced connections, unless the noise source is horrendous.

Thanks for your answer. The connection is fully balanced (RME ADI-2 DAC -> XLR -> Adam Audio Sub7 -> XLR -> Adam Audio A3X) and there are no other connections to the speakers.

Whether or not the connectors are fully populated, I unfortunately have no idea as I bought them premade.

Centaurea

Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter + Intona 7054-X-DK
My favorite Headphone DAC

file_2023-10-01_14.58.02.png

file_2023-10-01_14.57.46.png

Korg DS-DAC-10R + Intona 7054-X-DK
1kgz_korg_phone-korg_w_intona.png

PC -> Intona 7054-X-DK -> Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter Out -> Korg DS-DAC-10R In -> PC
1kgz_samsung_w_intona-korg.png
Изображение WhatsApp 2023-10-01 в 21.42.17_3f1470db.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

jivex5k

I'd like to chime in to say I also have issues with a noisy USB connection, using an RME Babyface pro fs.

It's not a ground loop, I've tested the outlet with a ground fault indicator. I've also powered the Babyface using the auxiliary power connector. The Babyface is an interface though, so I still need it to connect via USB to have my XLR inputs and my low latency ASIO performance for VSTs.

As the user above mentioned, it worsens with GPU activity.

My PC is no slouch, I have an RTX 4090, a Corsair RMx 1000w PSU, and a Gigabyte Z390 designaire motherboard. This mobo even has two USB ports specifically designed to reduce noise. It seems the RTX 4090 is the cause though, I removed the card and the noise was gone.

It was very surprising to see my $900 interface wasnt able to filter out this noise.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As the user above mentioned, it worsens with GPU activity.
That is almost certainly a ground loop.

A ground fault indicator says nothing about a ground loop. A ground loop doesn't even have to go to mains ground - any circular ground path in your system can be a ground loop.

And a $900 interface can't filter it out, nor can a $90,000 interface (unless they have input galvanic isolation - few do). It doesn't go through the interface electronics - only on the input to output ground, - it is added to the signal on the input to your amp as a result of different ground potentials on either end of the analogue link.

The only solution is to break the ground loop (optical connections are great for this - SOME USB isolators can also do a good job) or to use balanced interconnect throughout.

Last edited:

jivex5k

That is almost certainly a ground loop.

A ground fault indicator says nothing about a ground loop. A ground loop doesn't even have to go to mains ground - any circular ground path in your system can be a ground loop.

And a $900 interface can't filter it out, nor can a $90,000 interface (unless they have input galvanic isolation - few do). It doesn't go through the interface electronics - only on the input to output ground, - it is added to the signal on the input to your amp as a result of different ground potentials on either end of the analogue link.

The only solution is to break the ground loop (optical connections are great for this - SOME USB isolators can also do a good job) or to use balanced interconnect throughout.
I see. Would the fact that I remove the GPU and the noise disappears rule out a ground loop?

I still get the noise running balanced interconnects throughout.

RME babyface XLR -> Cayin HA-6A XLR -> 4 pin XLR out -> ZMF Atrium

jivex5k

I have it. It gets extremely hot and caused my interface gui to hang occasionally, something that's incredibly rare. It did take care of the noise though.

I ended up getting a schitt modius e and am using the toslink digital out to eliminate the noise. I was considering trying this intona isolator as well.

I'm curious if a different motherboard could also solve the issue, it's about time for a cpu upgrade anyway.

Top Bottom