• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity RC263 Center Speaker Review

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. If you place TV too high to accommodate upright speaker, neck strain.

More that a center behind an acoustic screen would have better placement and allow three equal speakers across the front both at a good viewing and listening height :) Thus horizontal centers are a compromised design to accommodate tv.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll take Infinity over any of those models. The spins are very good for a center.
I would agree that RC263 is probably > than the THX-365C and LSiM 704c, however the verdict is still out on the C2+.

I want to see a center speaker that does not have the waistbanding in the critical 400-1000 Hz region like the Infinity does.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More that a center behind an acoustic screen would have better placement and allow three equal speakers across the front both at a good viewing and listening height :) Thus horizontal centers are a compromised design to accommodate tv.
I'd love to have the broad, even horizontal dispersion of another Buchardt S400 in the middle...but my Plasma (and future OLED) panels won't permit it. :(

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to have the broad, even horizontal dispersion of another Buchardt S400 in the middle...but my Plasma (and future OLED) panels won't permit it. :(
Yep real life compromises are everywhere in our audio and video setups no doubt. Then again plasma and oled sound better than settling for lcd :) I just don't have a good place for a projector setup....alas.

ps then again until my plasmas die have not gone to oled yet

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would agree that RC263 is probably > than the THX-365C and LSiM 704c, however the verdict is still out on the C2+.

I want to see a center speaker that does not have the waistbanding in the critical 400-1000 Hz region like the Infinity does.

Agreed. The Emotiva speakers so far have measured really well. I definitely think the C2+ is a better value at normal prices.

That said, I do slightly prefer the R263 over the T2+. It's a slight preference, though.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got mine on a Harman less than 50% sale....it was $150 shipped (last December?).
Same. Great value and sounds just fine with the F208s.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep real life compromises are everywhere in our audio and video setups no doubt. Then again plasma and oled sound better than settling for lcd :) I just don't have a good place for a projector setup....alas.

ps then again until my plasmas die have not gone to oled yet
I'm surprised many Plasmas are still in use. I have an old Panasonic 50" that's been stored for around 7-8 years. Anyone need a used Plasma?

AVKS

Agreed. The Emotiva speakers so far have measured really well. I definitely think the C2+ is a better value at normal prices.

That said, I do slightly prefer the R263 over the T2+. It's a slight preference, though.

When I demo'd the RC263 and C2 head to head I liked the RC263's highs slightly more (C2 is very good, just personal preference) but the overall size of the C2's sound at low and mid volumes and better dynamics in that range in my room and system led me to keep it. When I drove the 263 it really opened up, but just didn't have quite the same.presence as the C2 at my typical listening volumes.

I'll note here that I only sit 7.5 ft from the speaker and my viewing area is only 10' x 10' or so and generally listen with my X4500 at -20 to -10, so folks in larger rooms may regularly be pushing the RC263/their center channel more than I do. I don't hesitate to recommend either it or the C2.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Almost every comparison I've read of the RC263 and C2+ seems to say they are very close in overall performance with personal preferences leaning slightly to one or the other. At normal pricing the C2+ has a $100 cost advantage but during one of Infinity's super sales events that can shift to as much as a $250 advantage for the RC263.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

Infinity after room correction is better than all centers I have previously owned. I can hear dialogue consistently. Sometimes fooled and think someone in house is talking to me. Of course, I have never owned an expensive center. I would like to hear a 3 way Revel.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost every comparison I've read of the RC263 and C2+ seems to say they are very close in overall performance with personal preferences leaning slightly to one or the other. At normal pricing the C2+ has a $100 cost advantage but during one of Infinity's super sales events that can shift to as much as a $250 advantage for the RC263.

This is pretty much how I see it.

@Chromatischism I like the treble presentation of the Infinity slightly more, but it could just be a preference thing. Do note I'm talking about the tower speakers, as I don't own and have never had the center channels being discussed.

strummr

Infinity after room correction is better than all centers I have previously owned. I can hear dialogue consistently. Sometimes fooled and think someone in house is talking to me. Of course, I have never owned an expensive center. I would like to hear a 3 way Revel.

I'm going to be selling my Revel C205 soon - great build quality, sounds very neutral and flat... very much like the Paradigm CC-570 and the RC263, but as been discussed, I'd like a bit more dynamics from my center. (it's also too small for my room) In my rec room, I have a treated, rectangular room with a dedicated ~23x27 section for the HT - 9' ceilings, 150" screen, and an additional ~320' sq foot area off to one side behind a couple of large blinds - so lots of air space. The centers I've had so far in this space... bit too flat/neutral sounding; yes, this is one instance where I want some type of 'house sound' that makes the movie dialogue pop with realism. I think larger drivers would help here, so I'm going to look for a Revel C208 or give the Emo C2+ a try. I'm starting to sit on way too many speakers... the ML 50XT has better dynamics, but pretty sure the sound is too inaccurate and bright for my tastes. (I've since moved the ML speakers - Motion towers and Dynamo sub to another TV - which sound great as a stereo setup)

Last edited:

utkarshb

Hey everyone! So I am getting a sweet deal on these speakers, but they have a slight cosmetic damage according to the dealer. I have a few questions here,
  1. Is this kind of damage really okay cosmetic wise?
  2. Does this damage really affect it's performance in any way? I have not been able to get a demo for these, but I am going to soon. If I can get some pointers as to what to look out for, that would be great.
  3. How is this kind of damage related to future proofing. As in, do you think it can increase over time, or it might affect the performance at a later stage?
I have attached the pictures as well. Guys please take a look and help me out here.

Attachments

• 5f266d5b-81d7-49a2-b492-cb604e99a0e8.JPG
    5f266d5b-81d7-49a2-b492-cb604e99a0e8.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 840bf8c0-12e1-4a66-9adc-81f06033bebd.JPG
    840bf8c0-12e1-4a66-9adc-81f06033bebd.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 165
  • ecbcd802-98d4-4991-847c-b9ae28fd7b77.JPG
    ecbcd802-98d4-4991-847c-b9ae28fd7b77.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 159

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They will be OK for front spakers also, but do mount them horizontally!

It depends on room dimensions and the seating position.

If you already have one pair of R162 as front left and right speakers, you don't need another pair of Infinity RC263 as front speakers, you need only one RC263 as a center.
R162 (as front speakers) should be on the left and on the right of the screen, not below it! Tweeter of R162 should be at the ear level height.
That makes for an unnaturally low television placement doesn't it?

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That makes for an unnaturally low television placement doesn't it?

I set mine below the TV on a moderately low stand and angle it up to my ears. :) The speaker is shaped so you can angle it up. FWIW & etc.

Last edited:

Xmech team

When are these centers ever coming back? Can I use this 263 with JBL stage towers? Thanks

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Another brand that is impossible to find in Italy and difficult to find in Europe. Revels are also difficult to find but Infinity does not exist here.
I don't understand the distribution strategy of the Harman group.
Business decision, Infinity auto speakers readily available because much larger market. I think home audio almost an after thought. Thank Apple and the 08 recession wiping out the surviving retailers. Younger generations rarely exposed to audiophile sound.

Top Bottom