• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In theory, would it be better to place Genelec Ones vertically or horizontally?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

2nd measurement is horizontal off axis, 3rd measurement is vertical off axis. The horizontal off axis is smoother outside of +/- 30 degree window, but has less directivity control at lower frequencies. What kind of differences should I watch out for in blind test?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally just guessing, but on a desk, vertically might be better because there will be less desk reflections due to directivity control.

On a stand with just floor/ceiling bounce, I think you might actually be hard pressed to tell the difference? Would be an interesting experiment.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I had a bookshelf center channel turned horizontal for a number of years due to space constraints, and it definitely sounded better when I made some changes so I could put it upright.

I think imaging or dispersion will be best upright. It can be hard to test with program material, but things should be more readily obvious with a broadband pink noise signal. If you can get one to play, turn the speaker on its side and move yourself left and right. Then put the speaker upright and repeat. See if you can tell a difference.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hephaestus

I have the speakers in question, 8341 and use them in horizontal orientation on top of K&M design stands made for Genelec. The reason is that my listening space is very narrow and speakers are quite close to sidewalls.

Directivity control starts much lower this way as you noted and subjectively sounds much better in my own use scenario.

What about the bass drivers? from my understanding they are exiting from either ends of the monitors. Depending how it is placed either vertical or horizontal there should be a difference in sound. If it is sitting on a desk I assume you will get some kind of coloration from desk bounce due to close proximity. Even though low end has little directivity , I assume the stereo image could be affected.

I quote “A three-way monitor with coaxial point source design such as "The Ones" monitors, can also be placed horizontally without affecting the response. There is actually no compromise in either orientation because of the acoustic design of these monitors. Keep in mind that it might be useful to use a short table stand to increases the distance and angle of the off-axis reflection from the desktop or console surface” -https://support.genelec.com/hc/en-u...ole-meter-bridge-Which-orientation-is-better-

The low end is generated by a pair of bespoke bass drivers which have an oval or ‘race-track’ shape — their actual measurements being 8.5 inches wide by four inches high. These are mounted behind the main baffle, directly above and below the dual-concentric unit, with their sound exiting through crescent-shaped slots at the top and bottom of the baffle (as well as via a rear-panel reflex port) in such a way as to generate a circular wavefront emanating from the same acoustic centre as the coaxial driver. -https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-ones?amp

If I understood the OP’s post he is assuming that horizontal and vertical FR is based on the speaker orientation, but in actual fact it’s based on the listening position. Pls correct me if I’m wrong!
Many thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom