• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In search of a small Dac+Amp (for IEMs) that sounds close to Topping DX3 Pro+

Fraxo

Hi everyone.

I'm using the Topping DX3 Pro+ for professional work but I also work on the go quite often, so I bought Fiio K3 Dac Amp.
I noticed a significant difference in sound between them, so I though to ask for a recommendation for a budget friendly compact Dac Amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Schiit Magni Heretic is good and has more power than a JDS Labs Atom Amp+.
The Asgard from Schiit is good.
I use the old version of the Schiit Heretic headphone amp called the Heresy and a JDS Labs Atom DAC+.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone.

I'm using the Topping DX3 Pro+ for professional work but I also work on the go quite often, so I bought Fiio K3 Dac Amp.
I noticed a significant difference in sound between them, so I though to ask for a recommendation for a budget friendly compact Dac Amp.
Dongle or matchbox sized?

And which headphones /iem? (ie do you need desktop power levels?)

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Hi everyone.

Did you want something portable?

I have a Hidizs AP80 Pro and I'm very happy with it. It sounds as good as my desktop Amp/DAC to me. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you want something portable?

I have a Hidizs AP80 Pro and I'm very happy with it. It sounds as good as my desktop Amp/DAC to me. :)

It's a pretty awesome unit. I regret seeing it as I may have to spend money now. How does it crank. Does it have EQ/tone controls? I like it loud enough that I can't hear the people talking or the bus noises when I'm riding on public transit. I use this now for on the go tunes when I need compact pocketability and some tone control/EQ would be ace..

Last edited:

Hatto

For IEMs on-the-go, Qudelix 5K is pretty good:

If you want the best, don't mind a little bulkier unit and have cash to burn, Topping G5 is the best among measured:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want the best, don't mind a little bulkier unit and have cash to burn, Topping G5 is the best among measured:
How has the reliability and service been on the Topping G5? I don't recall much complaining about this model but I stay away from all that jazz usually. :D

Hatto

How has the reliability and service been on the Topping G5? I don't recall much complaining about this model but I stay away from all that jazz usually. :D
I have been using multiple Topping products for over a year and haven't had a problem myself, but can't comment on the reliability or customer support on a wider scale.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got the Topping DX1 last week and it sounds good with Truthear Zero IEMs. The Sound blaster X1 is handy also for the phone since it's really compact.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's a pretty awesome unit. I regret seeing it as I may have to spend money now. How does it crank. Does it have EQ/tone controls? I like it loud enough that I can't hear the people talking or the bus noises when I'm riding on public transit. I use this now for on the go tunes when I need compact pocketability and some tone control/EQ would be ace..
It does have EQ, but I've never used it myself - I like the selection of IEMs and headphones I have without it. It's also plenty loud enough with everthing I have, but I guess you might want something with a bit more oomph if you have some headphones that are very demanding.

For reference, the hardest thing to drive that I have is probably my Sennheiser HD560s, and it's fine with those.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It does have EQ, but I've never used it myself - I like the selection of IEMs and headphones I have without it. It's also plenty loud enough with everthing I have, but I guess you might want something with a bit more oomph if you have some headphones that are very demanding.

For reference, the hardest thing to drive that I have is probably my Sennheiser HD560s, and it's fine with those.
Interesting because I own the Sennheiser HD598s and they are pretty efficient compared to the ear buds that I owned. I was using these KEFs until after 4 years they finally tore out the left side wire assembly.
They sounded great and took a lot of rough treatment. I paid ~$65 of them. But they dies so I need new stuff and like lotsa treble.

raif71

Major Contributor
You may want to try this "DIY" setup which doesn't require any power from the wall plug :)

Top Bottom