• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC for RPi4 (LMS) setup

3ek

Hi.
I'm on the market for new DAC for my RPi4 piCorePlayer LMS setup. Now i'm using PCM5122 DAC Hat. Its sound not so good quality
Searching for musical (non clinical), maybe neutral to warm sounding DAC (AKM chip device or..) Auto power off/on, it must.
I'ts nice to have phones amp output, and volume knop. (feat.)
Using Yamaha amp, Dali Zensor 3 pair, speakers.
Now i'm looking (up to 200$/euro)

SMSL D12
SMSL Sanskrit S10 10th MKII
SMSL Sanskrit S10 MKIII
Topping E30 II
Topping D6s
FiiO K11

Thanks.
P.S.English is not my best.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a Sanskrit 10th MKII and it's a great DAC, simple and looks nice. The E30 original or II are good, SMSL SU-1 as well. Just shop on price, AliExpress has the SU-1 at a good price with coin discount.

OP

3ek

i'm shopping on amazon.de maybe, or local. Not for ali, for 60 days delivery.

OP

3ek

Topping DX3 Pro+ and SABAJ A10d (2021) its also on my list.

Nutul

Topping DX3 Pro+ and SABAJ A10d (2021) its also on my list.
Since performance-wise they are very similar, I'd go for the Topping just because it's cheaper. Also, Amazon is short of Sabaj, at least on .de and .co.uk...

OP

3ek

Since performance-wise they are very similar, I'd go for the Topping just because it's cheaper. Also, Amazon is short of Sabaj, at least on .de and .co.uk...
I'm in no rush to buy. I have DAP {FiiO m3 Pro (ESS ES9218P DAC) pair with Audio Technica M40X) i listen from time to time.
Sound: Analytical plenty of details. But sometimes, not fun to listen (hi freq too much)
So, AKM DAC, or Fii0 k11 (CL) is other devices on my list, because of that.

Nutul

I'm in no rush to buy. I have DAP {FiiO m3 Pro (ESS ES9218P DAC) pair with Audio Technica M40X) i listen from time to time.
Sound: Analytical plenty of details. But sometimes, not fun to listen (hi freq too much)
So, AKM DAC, or Fii0 k11 (CL) is other devices on my list, because of that.
I may be wrong, but the a10d (the 2021 issue) is implemented around an ESS chip, not AKM...

popej

I wouldn't bother, if you already have a decent hat. There is nothing to gain by replacing a component, which is probably the best part the entire audio system.
For a new budget build I would try a dongle with CS43131. Inexpensive and measures really good:

OP

3ek

I chose E30 II lite.
Yesterday set it up. Using Asus power brick from old tablet 5V 1.35A.
The sound is so clear, not loud, compare with PCM5122 HAT.
The vocal is back from the sound stage (comp. PCM5122). The bass is strong punchy (not analogue sound like) High are sparkle, but not so much (dark present),
Its obviously digital sound signature with minor coloration.

i'm looking for replace USB cable: Oehlbach Excellence USB A-B Interlink Cable or with good USB 2.0 A-B cable from printer?
Maybe power supply is not nesesery to replace to..

Last edited:

borish

I use E30 II and Khadas tone 2 pro.
Both of them are practically overkill for any normal music listener.
I don't recommend USB dongles, they are intended for headphone use and usually don't have linear output, so, basically, all audio from them passes through an amplifier.
If you plan to connect your streamer to a regular amplifier, use a desktop DAC. Khadas has both balanced and unbalanced headphone outputs in addition to linear ones, but if you plan to use a high-impedance cans, you may find a need to use a dedicated HP amp anyway or, like me, use a headphone output in my receivers, which are good in a quality equipment and provide all amplification you may need.

popej

I don't recommend USB dongles, they are intended for headphone use and usually don't have linear output, so, basically, all audio from them passes through an amplifier.
There are DAC chips with integrated headphone amp, which delivers performance comparable to line output. Side effect is that dongle is smaller and cheaper. Just look for measurements before selecting dongle to buy.

Top Bottom