• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impressions and internal photos of the Audiophonics MPA-S250NC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes that is the easy route, but I am skeptical of SQ in that category. My boating friends say JL Audio and Wet Sounds are OK?

Reco's welcome, but really would like to learn how to work with the nCore or Purifi modules instead

Take a look at Brax and Helix, both by Autotec Fisher. They are known for high end car audio and claim SOA number with 120db sn ratios and .0009% distortion.

john61ct

Take a look at Brax and Helix, both by Autotec Fisher. They are known for high end car audio and claim SOA number with 120db sn ratios and .0009% distortion.
Thanks, a supposedly "open-box as-new" Helix G Four is on its way from Europe, $145 including shipping, bridged @ 4 Ohms, 2 x 240W rms / 480W peak

Hope it gets the best out of my LS50s, trying for good SQ outdoors even at party SPLs.

Next bit to save for likely a subwoofer, as "portable" as possible.

Last edited:

George Boles

Hi All,

Maybe this thread is a little old and if so I will repost:

With the Audiophonics nCore amplifiers as in the one in this review, does the "Power" button at the front of the amplifier turn the mains power On and Off, or does it switch the amplifier from Standby to On and back again?

Best regards
George.

Gislon

Hi All,

Maybe this thread is a little old and if so I will repost:

With the Audiophonics nCore amplifiers as in the one in this review, does the "Power" button at the front of the amplifier turn the mains power On and Off, or does it switch the amplifier from Standby to On and back again?

Best regards
George.

I got the Audiphonics nc250mp a couple of weeks ago. Using it with a 12v trigger from Denon 3700. There is a master power switch on the back of the Audiophonics amp (next to the power socket). With that on, the 12v trigger from the AVR just turns the front 'soft' power button on and off. I'm sorry I don't know what the power implications are, but it does seem like the front button toggles standby on and off.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I had Audiphonics nc250mp monos for a few month. There is this power switch on the back that definitely turns everything of.
I used the button on the front to switch the amps on and off. I do not think there is a "standby mode" (in the sense that it will switch on when something is playing) with these amps.
Nevertheless, if the front button is turned off then the trigger can activate the amp.

George Boles

Thank-you Gislon and Ironhorse for your responses which are useful and meaningful to me.

My understanding of what you have written is:

• Power switch on the back of the modules turns off provision of 120/230V to module - I can understand that!
  • The power button is a Soft On and Off, which is Standby On and Off. I suspect this is into and out of the SMPS low power mode. Which is what I need.
  • It also seems that the trigger function does the same thing, which is a useful thing to know.

It sounds like this is what I can expect, which suits me fine.

Let me know if I have got this wrong please.

As an aside, my understanding of the Hypex NCxxxMP modules themselves is that they do not have a "Signal_Sense" function as far as I am aware. That is an inbuilt function with many ICEPower modules, which they regard as a part of their "Music at All Times" theme.

So thank-you both again for your help.

Cheers,
George.

Ykar

Power button on front panel connects Vout of Standby SMPS (5 Vdc) to "PS enable" pin of main SMPS (3.3V to 12V in). Trigger from external source is also feeding same PS enable pin of the main SMPS with any Voltage from 3.3V to 12V. I use trigger from external USB source (5V) for example.
That also means that when the main SMPS is triggered by external source (logic high), front button has no effect.

cheers

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Power button on front panel connects Vout of Standby SMPS (5 Vdc) to "PS enable" pin of main SMPS (3.3V to 12V in). Trigger from external source is also feeding same PS enable pin of the main SMPS with any Voltage from 3.3V to 12V. I use trigger from external USB source (5V) for example.
That also means that when the main SMPS is triggered by external source (logic high), front button has no effect.

cheers
I'm surprised that the trigger overrides the front panel button. We go to a lot of programming trouble to insure that the front panel power button can always turn off the amplifier, no matter what. This is in cases where, say, flames are coming from the amplifier and the user needs to shut it down immediately, or someone unfamiliar with the amp has to shut it down in an emergency.

Ykar

I can't comment on audiophonics's choice but that's the way it is, no doubt. But given NC250MP pins configuration I'm not sure there is any other way to offer both soft start switch and external trigger, is it ? (actually they went with soft start switch + trigger in + main switch on the back)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I can't comment on audiophonics's choice but that's the way it is, no doubt. But given NC250MP pins configuration I'm not sure there is any other way to offer both soft start switch and external trigger, is it ? (actually they went with soft start switch + trigger in + main switch on the back)
We interface it with a microcontroller.

conuss

MakeMineVinyl
Are you going to dim the switch? It sounds like you are amused that users have to paint over it with a marker or poke around with a soldering iron inside to eliminate your indifference.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
MakeMineVinyl
Are you going to dim the switch? It sounds like you are amused that users have to paint over it with a marker or poke around with a soldering iron inside to eliminate your indifference.
I don't follow your question. But once a microcontroller is introduced into the loop, lots of options become possible. That's standard practice here.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MakeMineVinyl
Does @MakeMikeVinyl work for Audiophonics? If so question stands, if snarky. If not, then irrelevant.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Does @MakeMikeVinyl work for Audiophonics? If so question stands, if snarky. If not, then irrelevant.
No I don't work for them, however we DO use the NC252MP and NC502MP Hypex modules (actually most all Hypex modules). We interface them with a microcontroller, implementing such functions as power management, heat management, voltage management, trigger, fault management and status reporting in various ways, including the i2C buss on some of the Hypex modules.

0800 Dub

The problem I have is that I suddenly have a lot of electrostatic discharge when touching them or devices next to them. Maybe something else has changed, but I never noticed this before in my system. As a quick fix I connected the case of the monos to my radiator using an old speaker cable. Hope that helps.
Did you work out what was causing that? Does it still happen?

conuss

No I don't work for them, however we DO use the NC252MP and NC502MP Hypex modules (actually most all Hypex modules). We interface them with a microcontroller, implementing such functions as power management, heat management, voltage management, trigger, fault management and status reporting in various ways, including the i2C buss on some of the Hypex modules.
Who do you work for? Where can I see your work results?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Who do you work for? Where can I see your work results?
I used to show the company I work for, but I found it caused more problems than it was worth. I didn't like feeling that every word I wrote "represented the view of the company".

Last edited:

conuss

I used to show the company I work for, but I found it caused more problems than it was worth. I didn't like feeling that every word I wrote "represented the view of the company".
Thank you for your reply. The applied technological moments outlined by you are in great demand, while the obvious flaws of Audiophonics can be explained exclusively by frivolous production inertia. In this case, among other things, I would advise them to raise the price by a couple of euros and include a black marker in the package.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We interface them with a microcontroller, implementing such functions as power management, heat management, voltage management, trigger, fault management and status reporting in various ways, including the i2C buss on some of the Hypex modules.
And you take a premium for those functions, no doubt. This here is a ready to go NC252MP amp with little value added except it comes prebuilt in a case. It's price is the main factor, not feature richness. I guess yours is a difference audience.

A bit like my car, you can buy it with all bells and whistles labeled as VW Up for 30k€ or, like i did, labeled as Skoda Citigo for 12k€, with minimal features. It's the same car, from the same manufacturer, takes as much people, uses the same spare parts and is as fast. But reduced to it's core functionality.

Top Bottom