• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Image center - supposed to be slightly to the left?

gruevy

I got a new amp, new DAC, new speakers, made sure my cables were the same length, set them the same distance from me, and noticed something that hadn't bothered me before--the vocal track is always slightly left of center. I can move it to the direct center by boosting my right channel volume, but I have to wonder. Is that how it's supposed to be? Maybe I'm losing hearing in one ear faster than the other? Maybe Windows is being dumb? Help me out here

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
This is with all recordings, right?

It's probably not a Windows setting, but maybe... On my Windows 11 computer I have separate left & right volume sliders but I have to dig-through the settings. (I don't know if those settings have any effect with an external DAC.)

You can try swapping your left & right speakers and if they are passive speakers try swapping the amplifier-to-speaker connections.

Is your room symmetrical? Sometimes the sound from one of the speakers will bounce off a wall (or possibly furniture), etc.

Maybe I'm losing hearing in one ear faster than the other?
Your brain should compensate for that. Sometimes if I think my ear is plugged, I rub my fingers together next to my ear, or "snap" my fingernails.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I got a new amp, new DAC, new speakers, made sure my cables were the same length, set them the same distance from me, and noticed something that hadn't bothered me before--the vocal track is always slightly left of center. I can move it to the direct center by boosting my right channel volume, but I have to wonder. Is that how it's supposed to be? Maybe I'm losing hearing in one ear faster than the other? Maybe Windows is being dumb? Help me out here
Make sure your cables aren't flipped.

OP
G

gruevy

This is with all recordings, right?

You can try swapping your left & right speakers and if they are passive speakers try swapping the amplifier-to-speaker connections.

Is your room symmetrical? Sometimes the sound from one of the speakers will bounce off a wall (or possibly furniture), etc.
Yeah, it's all recordings.

And I just swapped my speaker inputs on the amp and the image is still slightly to the left, which I should really have thought of doing before asking for help. I'm close to a wall on that side and I guess more of the sound is reflecting than I realized. You got me sorted out. Thanks!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are both you speakers equal distant from the rear and side walls?
Are they equal distant from the listening chair, and aimed to the same center spot (head position) on the chair?

ozzy9832001

Your problem sounds like a typical symmetry issue. Are the distances from the sidewalls different, or the surfaces are not made of the same material. Even, a window, doorway or a closet can cause the issue. It sounds like the reflections from the left speaker are arriving back at your ear to cause a small summation. Boosting the gain on the right speaker corrects from the differential. By chance, is it more prominent with male vocals?

I will also add that this would only be an issue for a very small frequency range due to the way sound waves propagate from the speakers.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Yeah, it's all recordings.

And I just swapped my speaker inputs on the amp and the image is still slightly to the left, which I should really have thought of doing before asking for help. I'm close to a wall on that side and I guess more of the sound is reflecting than I realized. You got me sorted out. Thanks!
To be on the safe side, swap the two speakers to rule out any problems.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a common problem. Finally, I figured out myself that is due to my pinna shape. One pinna is slightly more protruding than the other and due to how we localize sound the two different source causing a shift. This is only true if you have no hearing loss in one.

Cheers!

ST
I would have thought that our brain would compensate automatically such long time genetic differences?

Reactions: STC

STC

I would have thought that our brain would compensate automatically such long time genetic differences?

Sorry for the delay. I am not getting notification.

Brain would compensate for natural sound as the sound localization position is determined by HRTF and visual aid. But with stereo, you are having two source that is making a single phantom image. So the brain is correcting the two emitter of sound and a shift happens.

Top Bottom