• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SLIGHT crease to inverted tweeter

KSTR

Major Contributor
I think you've had generally good advice - except the advice to measure it - where I believe you'll be wasting your time.

It is a tiny distortion - very unlikely to make an audible difference PLUS you can't hear it.

Put the speaker covers back on, forget about it, and enjoy the music. :)
This, plus the risk to damage things again when fiddling around, swapping tweeters etc to solve a problem that most likely isn't one. I lost a number of tweeters in busy tinkering sessions, meh ;-)

OTOH, buying a mic and making oneself familiar with measuring stuff and judging the result is fun, too. You actual learn something that is useful when audio is your hobby.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OTOH, buying a mic and making oneself familiar with measuring stuff and judging the result is fun, too. You actual learn something that is useful when audio is your hobby.
Speaking of the above-mentioned "Gear Acquisition Syndrome"*. ;)

The delicacy of the metal domes notwithstanding, my hunch :facepalm: is that there will be little if any "practical" impact on anything important vis-a-vis the use of the tweeter for its intended purpose (i.e., tweeting). Measurable? Maybe. "Significant"? Maybe Not (I'd say Probably Not).

@KSTR makes a good point. It is better to have a mic and not need it than to need one and not have it. ;)
Heck, even I have a calibrated 'measurement mic' (albeit not a high-end one).

OP
H

heboil

OK! I'm sure everyone set their calendar apps to check in on this thread when measurement day comes ;).

I am quite certain that I don't know what I am doing with REW. It is much more confusing than I was anticipating (following some YouTube tutorials set me back). But I was able to get some measurements. I may have made errors when setting it up, but I took the grills off, tried to position the mic the exact same way and distance, and took measurements. I also did the same with my center channel (just to see what tweeter performance was like across the group... although the angle of the center and mic were different than the mains). Here are some screenshots:

legend.jpg

front 2.jpg

front 3.jpg

I waited until lower in the post to state which speaker was which. Is it evident by the data? It isn't at all to my ear. But the blue line (R - right) is the one that has the slight crease.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Keith_W

Major Contributor
There is a very slight discrepancy between the two, as you can see. Likely inaudible. Switch to the "distortion" tab and have a look.

OP
H

heboil

OK... this distortion tab is meaningless to me :facepalm:.

Right speaker with slight crease:
distortion r.jpg

Left speaker:
distortion l.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wound not be surprised if the difference is from the mic placement. I would probably only attribute the > 15 kHz bit to the crease. Seems like you improved linearly a bit ;)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yep, as others have predicted ... barely any difference. The double dip in the left speaker about 1kHz - 2kHz (as opposed to a single dip in the right speaker) is likely a measurement artefact. Is that the crossover region? Box resonance?

Now you can use your mic for something more useful ;) Do some room correction!

Penelinfi

Yep, as others have predicted ... barely any difference. The double dip in the left speaker about 1kHz - 2kHz (as opposed to a single dip in the right speaker) is likely a measurement artefact. Is that the crossover region? Box resonance?

Now you can use your mic for something more useful ;) Do some room correction!
Or a tweeter edge ungluing from the faceplate. I had a focal with same tweeter that was coming off

Top Bottom