• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This is not about SONOS but this product was designed by them, seems to be able to integrate within their ecosystem... Likely made by SONOS then.

Question to the audiophiles: Haven't you been under this nagging impression that many SONOS systems sound subjectively good...? Often better than you expected, perhaps better than some audiophiles systems? :facepalm:

This forum has shredded to pieces my audiophiles creds. I no longer have any after this post ... So be it! :D

Peace.

IKEA also partner with Teenage Engineering which probably resulted in the Eneby BT speakers.

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As long as you don't try to play them too loud.

Or if it gets warm, or cold, or humid; that thing will likely even drift out of calibration if you look at it with a bit of skepticism. :cool:

However, it is an achievement to wield algos to make plasticky stuff sound that good.

redshift

IKEA also partner with Teenage Engineering which probably resulted in the Eneby BT speakers.

They really should rerelease the OA12’s, OD5’s and possibly the OA58’s for the hoi polloi wanting some high fidelity audio to that IKEA telly.

With some light-handed DSP shenanigans and cheap drivers, I’m sure they would sound fantastic and cost peanuts to produce.

That would be the final nail in the coffin for the reasonably priced floorstanders.

1626982709378.gif

beagleman

Major Contributor
Xulonn, that’s exactly why, when Amir says he likes something that measures poorly, we might be concerned. Although I doubt he’ll make a practice of it.

But these do not measure "poorly", they measure sorta good from what I see. I think you are putting way too much concern over things that do not matter as much as you assume.

The jagged peaks and valleys, are NOT an issue. It is an issue if it is a very high peak or a trend of the treble being much higher than the rest of the spectrum.

Our ears tend to average out the sounds we hear. We do not hear those small fluctuations. We tend to hear big trends of up or down, or distortion.

bobster

Second impression listening in my small bedroom (I posted the first one last night):

Still too much bass for my taste. I turned it down (in the Sonos app) to -6.

EDiIT: Bass is too much sometimes, but -6 was too low.

It's probably worth trying the True Play tuning again and/or turning it off. Also will try mounting it on the wall instead of leaning it.

Had a similar experience (too much bass) with the Sonos One pair in my kitchen.

Probably not a deal-breaker, as I won't be doing serious listening in there.

I wish there were a less-costly alternative to Roon for iOS - love that Roon EQ.

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
However, I’ve got nothing against plain old XO’s (and effects) implemented in DSP’s. But to run some serious algos to compensate for cheap materials, flimsy cabinets and some serious poles and zeros in the room.
How about no?
IMO.
It's more nuanced than "no" or "yes" right? There are things (namely, frequency response) that DSP can fix. And things (resonances, uneven dispersion, nulls, cabinet issues) that it can't really even begin to address.

Are there objective arguments against heavily leveraging DSP for the things its good at? (Not a rhetorical question)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They really should rerelease the OA12’s, OD5’s and possibly the OA58’s for the hoi polloi wanting some high fidelity audio to that IKEA telly.

With some light-handed DSP shenanigans and cheap drivers, I’m sure they would sound fantastic and cost peanuts to produce.

That would be the final nail in the coffin for the reasonably priced floorstanders.

View attachment 142990

I think it is difficult for IKEA to take that route. I think they'll go with Sonos for their main sound system. But who knows, they may surprise again.

redshift

It's more nuanced than "no" or "yes" right? There are things (namely, frequency response) that DSP can fix. And things (resonances, uneven dispersion, nulls, cabinet issues) that it can't really even begin to address.

Are there objective arguments against heavily leveraging DSP for the things its good at? (Not a rhetorical question)

I tend to think yes, as in purchasing gear that is badly suited for the intended operational envelope and then processing with algos to sort it out.

For example when the WAF’s determine that shit isn’t acceptable to have in the middle of the floor because some enthusiast doesn’t fancy the room induced poles and zeros from the usual suspects.

Or to use for calibrating super non linear pieces of flimsy plastic that likely will drift all over the place if you do as much as breathe at them. But in all fairness, for that price to performance. Well, okay, I concur. :cool:

However, prosumer/pro gear shall measure and sound good without heavy application of algos. Implicit goodness as in high quality cabinets and drivers. Then some delicate DSP to sort out the nooks and crannies of objective reality.

As for mass produced jank. Well. Let’s say that the clock is ticking for the reasonably priced mass market loudspeakers thanks to these algos.

IKEA proved that. Game over.

redshift

I think it is difficult for IKEA to take that route. I think they'll go with Sonos for their main sound system. But who knows, they may surprise again.

Imagine a competently WiFi’d, plate amped and DSP’d OA58’s for, say, $500USD. That would have been rough for the industry. :eek:

testp

what would be a interesting subjective test, if Amirm would find some free time,

put these on-wall speakers + some others next to some bookshelf speakers and listen, make some observations, maybe on the fly measurements and comments :)))

it would be interesting to read some observations against the likes of revel + other bookshelfs in the same room...

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
Hi

This is not about SONOS but this product was designed by them, seems to be able to integrate within their ecosystem... Likely made by SONOS then.

Question to the audiophiles: Haven't you been under this nagging impression that many SONOS systems sound subjectively good...? Often better than you expected, perhaps better than some audiophiles systems?
If memory serves, one of the audio engineers (head?) is the same individual who designed the Boston Acoustics E100. I have not heard the latter, but someone I trust spoke very highly of them. The speaker is slightly taller than six feet tall, slim, with six 5-1/4-inch woofers, one 5-1/4inch midrange/woofer, one 3-1/4-inch midrange driver, one 1-inch VRH.O. tweeter, and one rear-facing VR tweeter.

Attachments

• E100.jpg
    E100.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 118

redshift

what would be a interesting subjective test, if Amirm would find some free time,

put these on-wall speakers + some others next to some bookshelf speakers and listen, make some observations, maybe on the fly measurements and comments :)))

it would be interesting to read some observations against the likes of revel + other bookshelfs in the same room...

Yes listening area spinoramas. Basically, measuring how it measures in the area/3D volume of an usual 3-seater sofa.

Meanwhile IRL:
1627010461129.jpeg

tecnogadget

Agreed. The speaker is one of the most clever audio products that deftly strikes a balance between affordability, functionality, aesthetics, performance and targeted application. I strongly suspect there will be an entire ecosystem of accessories that arise around this speaker system, from replacement grills to in-wall power kits that hide the line-voltage power cables in a code-compliant way--the same way that's been done for the Play:X/Sonos:X line of speakers. It'll be fun to seen accessories arise that take the speaker's integration into the home's decor even further that what's outwardly obvious.

My biggest fear is that nobody outside this community notices this. Ans the product get discontinued in 1 or 2 tears. Everytime I go to Ikea in Madrid...nobody seems to care about the speakers...well some do, the 5 to 10 kids that are bored, sometimes they blast the volume haha :cool:

redshift

My biggest fear is that nobody outside this community notices this. Ans the product get discontinued in 1 or 2 tears. Everytime I go to Ikea in Madrid...nobody seems to care about the speakers...well some do, the 5 to 10 kids that are bored, sometimes they blast the volume haha :cool:

All it takes is for a nerd infused forum to rally and rave about it and then it goes full tilt.

Never trust the masses of what’s desirable. They’d still be on horsebacks if it wasn’t for some crazies and their petrol burning and mass produced machinery of frivolous transportation.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There are quite many positive reviews of the Eneby BT speakers out there . I have not seen IKEA using these as selling points. Perhaps they should.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom