• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like it will be awfully bass heavy up against a wall.
There are so many variables involved there that one must measure to know. It did not sound that way in my listening but I have a large space so bass modes are lower and less pronounced.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nice review.

Doesn't it mean that any speaker with a high-pass filter 48dB/oct starting at 60Hz has no SPL limit?
In my testing, mostly yes. I test for that by playing sub-bass heavy content and that is where I notice so many speakers falling apart. So to the extent there is a filter, then your ears start to complain about the higher frequencies getting too loud, not the distortion in deep bass.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This not having line level or speaker inputs makes me sad.

Yup, that's made this thing a hard pass here. Otherwise, it would make a passable surround/ambience speaker with decent powered monitors and a sub to do the heavy lifting.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple Airplay can give you unimpeachable SQ.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Really like the new look of the directivity graphs
Thanks. Sadly they come at a high cost. They are part the new revision of the Klippel software that costs 2000 Euros to get! I have a temporarily license which expires next month. Combine this with the 4000 Euro cost of baffle measurement option for Klippel NFS and I am feeling mighty poor again! :)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
How can you turn it into an LMS endpoint?
With the UPnP plugin for LMS.

1626914732899.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this speaker signal a change in reviewing direction @amirm ?

The tests results speak for themselves- it's an absolute unmitigated disaster of a HiFi speaker, but you like it subjectively enough to give it a strong reccommendation because it's a Sonos wall mounted 'lifestyle' speaker? I don't get it.

Try re-reading the review, and taking into account the price and what it actually is. If you don't need a wireless speaker that is so thin it can hang on a wall like a picture, then you can indeed spend $200 and get something better.

YSC

Major Contributor
Much better than I’d expect for a lifestyle speaker! This is actually at similar deviation magnitude to the dynaudio reviewed yesterday.. call me surprised

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I get really excited about this from a holistic perspective -- love the idea of getting decent sound into homes and rooms where otherwise there wouldn't be any. Ultimately it's a good thing for the pursuit and the hobby. Hope they sell a boatload.

Does this speaker signal a change in reviewing direction @amirm ?
The tests results speak for themselves- it's an absolute unmitigated disaster of a HiFi speaker, but you like it subjectively enough to give it a strong reccommendation because it's a Sonos wall mounted 'lifestyle' speaker? I don't get it.
Unmitigated disaster?!
  • The estimated in-room response is +/- 3dB from 50hz-6khz
  • ...and more like +/- 1.5dB from 150hz-6khz
  • Dispersion is great
I like big, high-output, high-sensitivity speakers myself... but this is objectively some good stuff for $200USD and $400 for a stereo pair seems pretty reasonable to me.

raindance

Major Contributor
There are so many variables involved there that one must measure to know. It did not sound that way in my listening but I have a large space so bass modes are lower and less pronounced.
True, but I'd expect an over-damped bass alignment in any speaker designed for on-wall mounting. This looks under-damped...which seems to be how many manufacturers at the moment view the needs of their market. Bass, bass, bass. A little eq or port plugging may help though.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who is hooking this up to a stereo system?
AirPlay, Spotify, and Sonos app will cover 99% of what users want.

Not having the jacks and no ADC is going to be cost savings.

But assuming you can't install in-wall speakers, it would be one of the highest WAF satellite/atmos speakers available.

Top Bottom