• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iFi ZEN CAN replacement for HD660S

Lambo1985

Well yes
Different headphones sound different
I have ATH-MSR7b and they sound fine with my CAN
But shouldn't the CAN be a universal amp for Sennheiser as well? Others use CAN with 660s :rolleyes:
Zen Can smooths out the top and bottom, and has crossfeed (to my ears) that increases soundstage distance. Not a good match for the already dull and frown faced 660s. EQ will help. Maybe sell the 660s and get better sounding (to your ears) headphones?

OP
O

Onira

No
Headphones are fine. They work with Hip-Dac and with sAp-10
I still think It's about power. I connected iPower (that I use with ZEN DAC) and it's fine but CAN gets too hot

Leonm771

Zen Can smooths out the top and bottom, and has crossfeed (to my ears) that increases soundstage distance. Not a good match for the already dull and frown faced 660s. EQ will help. Maybe sell the 660s and get better sounding (to your ears) headphones?
660s sound insanely well with zen can xspace , how did they do that???

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You mean the 3D sound ?

It is not crossfeed but rather the opposite. It is an analog stereo width enhancer.

Lambo1985

660s sound insanely well with zen can xspace , how did they do that???
I haven’t and am not interested in looking into the specifics, but it sounds like a phase flip on one side of the L/R output. Along with a stereo expander and maybe a chorus effect. - If there is any headphone where that 3D effect could maybe make it sound better, it's the 660s.

OP
O

Onira

I followed pioterd suggestion and used the 4A power supply as he does
Thigs are good, not boiling (yet) :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, you could even connect a 5V/10A power supply it won't matter because the amp will not draw more than when a 2.5A power supply were used.
I would not go higher than 10A power supply as there might be components in the Zen CAN that might not survive the inrush currents.

An amp only draws as much power as it needs. High impedance headphones will draw very little current so even a 2A will be more than sufficient.

OP
O

Onira

Well as for me I don't hear any big difference on 660s with Bass or Crossfade
But on my ATH-MSR7b I do :cool:

pioterd

660s with Bass or Crossfade
Really? Maybe you listen to music which doesn’t have much bass below 100Hz, where 660s has quite deep rolloff which is very nicely lifted by xbass. 3d also depends on realization of music recordings but in general I find it very nice, always on:)

OP
O

Onira

Well I listen to Tidal (used to mqa but there is no mqa atm) rock metal and progressive plus classical soundtracks :p:p

OP
O

Onira

I got xDuoo MT-604 changed tubes and now it’s just awesome :cool:

IXOYE

I replaced my HD660s with a HD600, one of the best sound improvements I've made, HD600 and 650 are much better headphones than the new variants in my opinion.

Top Bottom