• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iFi ZEN CAN replacement for HD660S

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So this is better than any iFi supply

Not saying that.
It is a power supply that will very likely be good enough to power a headphone amplifier/DAC.
And what is 'better' ? Something can be 'better' in certain relevant aspects and be worse in others.

Just consider that when a manufacturer offers different 'quality' power supplies for any of its designs the designs themselves either are sub optimal or they want to extract a little more money from their customers that way (by offering 'upgrades').

OP
O

Onira

What about the iFi DC iPurifier which I'm using?
Shouldn't it help?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only you can tell.

OP
O

Onira

the one from aliexpress will cost me more than iFi (including tax)
any other ideas from amazon or ebay?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what you are trying to 'solve' here.

No power supply can make any amp sound 'better'.

OP
O

Onira

Yes, I know that
I'm just trying to get a power supply with less distortion and as mentioned that neither iPower or iPowerX will do that
So I'm trying to find one like the Brzhifi for a good price

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What 'distortion' would a power supply bring ?

It looks like in reality you just don't like the ifi amp for some reason but do like the added functions (Xbass and stereo enhancement) and blame 'it' on the power supply.
Maybe something in the amp is defective ?
Why not buy/use another amp instead ?

The ipowerX is just a regular SMPS and the ipower elite is more of the same but with a different enclosure and a bit more power.

Unless a power supply is really defective (poor or no regulation or high mains leakage) there won't be any audible differences for headphone amps powering a highly efficient headphone such as the HD660S.

Your amp only has to supply a few Volt at best and a few mA. Even a lowly opamp can perfectly drive a HD660S.

Last edited:
OP
O

Onira

Like I don't like iFi amp
well if that would be true I wouldn't say it works well with my ATH-MSR7b headphones
I like it but I don't understand why it does not work well with my 660s

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I don't like iFi amp
well if that would be true I wouldn't say it works well with my ATH-MSR7b headphones
I like it but I don't understand why it does not work well with my 660s
The reason is your imagination most likely. Non-defective decent amps sound the same if they allow necessary volume.

OP
O

Onira

Well if they should sound the same why there ain't?
Another funny thing is Topping D10b connected to CAN remains very silent 'til I turn volume to the point where DAC is screaming/yealling giving awful distorion?
It's happening about 3 o'clock on the CAN

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if they should sound the same why there ain't?
Another funny thing is Topping D10b connected to CAN remains very silent 'til I turn volume to the point where DAC is screaming/yealling giving awful distorion?
Thats not the DAC....

pioterd

Unity gain? Do you have any other PSU? Check if the barrel connector is pushed well into the Can. With my akg k612, which are more difficult to drive than 660s, only once I used +6dB gain, with some quiet piano concert recording. I didn’t notice any distortion, noise or so up to +12dB gain. But I don’t use it, it’s way tooo loud. Unity gain is all I need if I feed Can with 2V input. And I use 5V/4A SMPS, no issues here as well.

Remember also about voltage input limits of the Can. RCA accept up to 3.8V but 3.5mm line in only up to 1.9V (due to internal additional +6dB gain when 3.5mm line in is used). Do not connect to the 3.5mm line in anything above 2V.

OP
O

Onira

pioterd
What SMPS are you using? Any filters?
I guess MW GST25B05-P1J won't work...

Last edited:

pioterd

What SMPS are you using? Any filters?
ESPE 4A rated, spec attached (nothing special but it works, available for about 10$). No filters.

Attachments

• PRO2005W2E-1335_EN_2021_11_26.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
OP
O

Onira

The document you mentioned is about 3,5/1,35 milimeters plug buit I bet it can be with 5,5/2,1 as well
I'm wondering if there could be some comparision with any good MW power supply

I found a 2.1/5.5 one on TME webpage abd will see how things will go with it :cool:

Last edited:

pioterd

any good MW power supply
MeanWell? I have this one as well

But with headphones I use (k612, k712, dt150) I do not hear ANY difference, even with xbass+3d effects which, as analogue, require some more power.

OP
O

Onira

I will see then
Every advice is a good advice :D

On iPower the CAN is so wery hot but it's not so boiling on MW

Last edited:

Lambo1985

A sharp and course DAC into an analytical ultra low noise/distortion amp, is the only thing that can save the 660S. That and heavy EQ, boosting the treble and bass. The Zen Can isn't the problem. It's the headphones. Synergy is a thing, but the headphone makes way more of a difference than the rest of the chain. I have an Arya Stealth that sounds sweet on my Zen Can/Dac stack. - Try different headphones, first.

OP
O

Onira

Well yes
Different headphones sound different
I have ATH-MSR7b and they sound fine with my CAN
But shouldn't the CAN be a universal amp for Sennheiser as well? Others use CAN with 660s :rolleyes:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So this is better than any iFi supply
Okay...
Not necessarily, it's just that the power supply won't affect your sound quality (unless it's broken or significantly under or over powered)

Top Bottom