• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEpower 2000AS2 HV

What about attaching them to a minidsp Flex Eight (not balanced) and driving 95dB sensitivity subwoofers?
Would I have to expect audible hum? In this regard, I'm not content with my Pascal amps.
What input sensitivity do the *AS2 modules have?
Judging from the smaller brother attached to +100db horns,no,it's silent.
But your case may vary,you never know and that applies to any amp.
It's stated noise for 20-20000Hz A weighted is 38uV.

It's input sensitivity is 4.15Vp and the input impedance is 38 KOhm.

Seems still to hold true, that the ICE power amps dont include the speaker impedance in their feedback circuits, thus speaker impedance in the tweeter section will vary quite wildly their frequency response depending on their individual impedance...

Seems still to hold true, that the ICE power amps dont include the speaker impedance in their feedback circuits, thus speaker impedance in the tweeter section will vary quite wildly their frequency response depending on their individual impedance...
Amir's measurement shows no load dependency for the smaller brother (1200as2) :

index.php

Edit:
And that's the smaller 300a2 at 4/8 Ohm and open load:

300a2.PNG

Where do these myths come from?

Last edited:
Didn't know, that the latest ICE power amps no longer have that load dependence concerning the frequency response... :)

on their website you can read that the 2000AS2 HV has an output power of "2x2000W",
-> https://shop.icepoweraudio.com/product/2000as2-hv

but in the datasheet it is written that it has an output power of 2x1000W 'only' when both channels driven simultaneously ...
-> https://shop.icepoweraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/ICEpower2000AS1-2-HV-Datasheet_1_1new.pdf
on Page 12/46

2x2000W is IMHO impossible since the Power Supply Section on the "2000AS2 HV" is exactly the same than on the "2000AS1 HV" and can only output 2000W in total

I dont like this kind of marketing of iecpower ...

--------------

same issue with the Icepower 1200AS2 / 1200AS1 by the way:
in this case the integrated power-supply delivers a total of 1400W
so regarding the 2-channel 1200AS2:
total power output is 2x 700W @ 4Ohm both channel driven simultaneously -> according to their own datasheet
but they do advertise "2x 1200W", which is obviously wrong ... :-(

Last edited:
--------------

same issue with the Icepower 1200AS2 / 1200AS1 by the way:
in this case the integrated power-supply delivers a total of 1400W
so regarding the 2-channel 1200AS2:
total power output is 2x 700W @ 4Ohm both channel driven simultaneously -> according to their own datasheet
but they do advertise "2x 1200W", which is obviously wrong ... :-(
Yep.
That,along with the hideous 1550 watt 10% THD+N (as it would ever reach there ).
I mean what's the need,except is a thing for the Asian markets as Amir said once.

(I own it but what's right is right,there's need for pampering)

I have three 2000AS2 modules and feel a little disappointed. Great sound, but not the output power I expected, not at all.

I use them for subwoofers, and hoped they could deliver more power than the old 1000ASP's I had before. In reality they can't, and that's really disappointing. The 1000ASP could deliver 70V RMS sinewave into 4 ohms (or 1225W) for several minutes before it entered thermal protection, while the 2000AS2 simply shuts down immediately if you try that. At short bass peaks normally found in music it goes into protection at 1400W, or 2x700W. I know - this is stated in the datasheet if you read it carefully, but when they market it as a "... 2x 2000 W high performance, ICEedge based class D amplifier .." that's simply not true.

I have three 2000AS2 modules and feel a little disappointed. Great sound, but not the output power I expected, not at all.

I use them for subwoofers, and hoped they could deliver more power than the old 1000ASP's I had before. In reality they can't, and that's really disappointing. The 1000ASP could deliver 70V RMS sinewave into 4 ohms (or 1225W) for several minutes before it entered thermal protection, while the 2000AS2 simply shuts down immediately if you try that. At short bass peaks normally found in music it goes into protection at 1400W, or 2x700W. I know - this is stated in the datasheet if you read it carefully, but when they market it as a "... 2x 2000 W high performance, ICEedge based class D amplifier .." that's simply not true.
Did you also measure them as mono?
I'm curious as their asymmetric load capability should be obvious in such a measurement.

Edit:Also,do you use them as is or with the recommended heatsink?

I had the same input and load on both channels during my tests. My load is a large subwoofer array, where each channel has a 12 ohm load (three 4 ohm woofers in series). I don't expect any difference if I put 6 ohm on one channel instead of 12 ohms on each of them.

I had the same input and load on both channels during my tests. My load is a large subwoofer array, where each channel has a 12 ohm load (three 4 ohm woofers in series). I don't expect any difference if I put 6 ohm on one channel instead of 12 ohms on each of them.
So,what each channel sees is a 12 Ohm load?
If that so the numbers are pretty good.

Yes, each channel see a 12 ohm load. In that load they can deliver 90V in very short bursts, less than 50 ms in my experience. I have not yet tested how much they can deliver continuously, but the datasheet specifies 290W with one channel driven. Not a lot...

I have very large heatsinks on my 2000AS2 modules - 0,07 K/W. The modules are mounted vertically with unrestricted airflow as well. I've noticed that the output chokes and the main transformer gets very hot. I've measured 70 C on the output chokes using an IR camera...

1692778307468.png

Yes, each channel see a 12 ohm load. In that load they can deliver 90V in very short bursts, less than 50 ms in my experience. I have not yet tested how much they can deliver continuously, but the datasheet specifies 290W with one channel driven. Not a lot...

I have very large heatsinks on my 2000AS2 modules - 0,07 K/W. The modules are mounted vertically with unrestricted airflow as well. I've noticed that the output chokes and the main transformer gets very hot. I've measured 70 C on the output chokes using an IR camera...

View attachment 307392
Thermals seem ideal,I would try halving the load or running them mono out of curiosity though.

Yes, each channel see a 12 ohm load.
I think maybe I don't understand you correctly:
how can you expect the full power output [W] when you connect a 12 Ohm load only ?
(the module delivers its rated full power output [W] with 4 Ohm load)

(every channel runs in BTL-mode by the way)

Maximum output voltage of the module is 105V RMS. It should be able to deliver that into 12 ohms, which it can't. 105V into 12 ohms is ~900W per channel, or 1800W total.

I think maybe I don't understand you correctly:
how can you expect the full power output [W] when you connect a 12 Ohm load only ?
(the module delivers its rated full power output [W] with 4 Ohm load)

(every channel runs in BTL-mode by the way)
It can't deliver full power into 4 ohms when both channels are driven. It can't do it with one channel driven either. Maximum continuous output power is stated in the datasheet :

1692784301327.png

And here's max power output for short bursts :

150 ms is three cycles of a 20 Hz sinewave, where max power output is 2x700W. That corresponds to ~90V into 12 ohms, which is lower than the module's maximum output voltage. In other words - the amp is not able to drive 12 ohms at full voltage swing, both channels driven.

1692784395453.png

Agree. And the idle loss of the 2000AS2 is so high that you need a large and expensive heatsink as well.

I just bought a 2000as2 power amplifier, I'm gonna test it vs an old Electrocompaniet aw 250....
Can't wait

I’m sure you will find that it sounds pretty good. Not quite on the level of Hypex or Purify though.

My own reservation against it is that it does not in any way deliver the output power expected, and the cost is high. A 1200AS based amp would be a less expensive choice with in reality the same output power. The two have the same power supply capacity and even share PCBs ( there is 1200AS written on the 2000AS PCB! ), so the 2000AS is just a 1200AS with hyped up specs.

Back
Top Bottom