• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEpower 2000AS2 HV

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New module announced by ICEpower, with integrated buffer and SMPS for 588 usd. 2 x 1000W or 1 x 2000W, 5W SINAD 98 excellent (4 ohms, 1% THD+N).

2000AS2.jpg

Still not tamed the highs though like Hypex NCore(x) and Purifi Eigentakt did.

THDN.jpg

Last edited:

Zoomer

I'm not familiar with their range, is this new gen tech or same gen tech with more power?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with their range, is this new gen tech or same gen tech with more power?
I would say the latter.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference Hypex NCore NC2k. Much lower noise floor on low power, similar bass and mids distortion, but much lower treble distortion.

nc2k.jpg

retro

Just guessing here, but maybe they don't care that much about chasing down the % numbers..? I have not listened to the new generations of IcePower, but several of Pabos older Anaview and Abletec designs. To me, they sounded great, even compared to the then new, and much more expensive Hypex NC400.

Interesting also that IcePower still lists all the old designs in their productpages..even the old 500A that started it all in the 90's..! Still in production..?!?

Also remember the old ASP1000. Like you, I had Thiels back in the day. ASP1000 sounded great with my CS6's and my later CS3.7.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It is an extension of the ICEedge line which is their newest. Although it might not look like it these amplifiers have vastly improved high frequency performance compared to their old modules. For example the ICEedge based 300A2 has a 6.67 kHz THD+N that is about an order magnitude better than the older 250ASX2.

Michael

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do these have a price advantage relative to Hypex comparables?
Probably cheaper since this is a complete amp module, includes buffer and power supply, like NCore MP series, but NC2k still needs a power supply.

You will probably see the 2000AS offered by Nord, Apollon, VTV, etc soon.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have/use multiple class D amps - UcD, Ncore, IcePower, Purifi.
Amps are a solved problem.
I have used the 1200AS2 module for bass drivers for many years. Cheap, very easy to configure/use, runs coolish, loads of power. I imagine the 2000AS2 will be similar. Interestingly the 1200AS2 and 2000AS2 both have max current output 38A.

@Matias I would not be too fussed about the distortion numbers. Look at Pascal modules, yet the D&D8c is one of the best measuring active speaker for home use going around.

Slayer

looks like this would be a great solution for folks when their subwoofer plate amplifiers go out.
Plenty of juice and should perform well for sub duties.

retro

Only thing I'm curious/worried about is the lowest impedance rating on many of the modules. 3 ohm minimum..and that's stereomode. Does that imply 6 ohms minimum bridged..?!?

Come on, everyone should know by now, that a speaker who don't dip to 2 ohms or lower, well, thats a toy, not a speaker..:)

Edit,
VintageFlanker seconds before me with same worries..

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I used 1200AS2 for about 2 years with a setup that dipped below 2ohms with no problem. I never had an issue with current limiting.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do Icepower amps tend to have the same pinouts? For example, could one hot rod a PWR-ICE250 plate amp with a 1200 or 2000 module?

For reference Hypex NCore NC2k. Much lower noise floor on low power, similar bass and mids distortion, but much lower treble distortion.

View attachment 205654
Its funny when we talk about one power module being better based on distortion numbers that are reaching zero. Yes, one graph shows lower distorition then the other. Has this any practical significance? Grading the ice module as a plate amp based on what? If you need the power, I'm sure these are incredible soulutions to power hungry speakers of any kind. I'm considering these if I end up with the JBL master reference M2 speakers. I don't think the "sound degradation" will be comming from the amps ;)

Please enlight med if I'm wrong. But using these vs the Benchmark amp (the best amp tested on this forum) will be indifferent till you push the benchmark out of its comfort zone which is flea watts compered to these monsters...

Sokel

Master Contributor
They have "promised" that they will go up to 5.000 watts or so.

The best think so far (solely by my experience with 300a2 hooked on a 1200as2,both new edge generation) is that they are made for cannibals.There's nothing you can do (sensibly of course) to make them go bad.

The best second think is the state of control and status indicators.There a myriad of indicators that shows you the state of the amp at any given time.
Subjectively about the "sound",I pick them up listening A LOT of amps (various classes) and simply they have no sound and more important nothing bothered me.
As for the price,they are unbeatable in terms of power capabilities and REALLY easy to make one of your own (basicaly you can screw it in a nice box that can help with heat dissipation),connect the hangers and your ready to go,everything is pre-set unless you want more control (mute,etc)

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's the Price?
588 USD on their webshop.
Looking around at trustworthy salesmen (in europe) I don't see it available.
What I do see though is that the price of 1200as2 for example has increased by 30 euro (I got it for 399,90 euro).

Nabussan

There's nothing you can do (sensibly of course) to make them go bad.
What about attaching them to a minidsp Flex Eight (not balanced) and driving 95dB sensitivity subwoofers?
Would I have to expect audible hum? In this regard, I'm not content with my Pascal amps.
What input sensitivity do the *AS2 modules have?

Top Bottom