• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 403 86.1%

• Total voters

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure the Apollon is cheaper than Nord as I also live in Europe, Nord price is without VAT you pay it in your country upon delivery, Apollon price is also without VAT and they add the VAT in the process of purchase which is the same. I am also considering 3 channel NCx500 amp purchase.
2x Apollon mono blocks with 19% VAT: 890*2*1.19=2118 Euro + shipping
2x Nord mono blocks (XLR only, incl.12V trigger) with 17.5% duty and 19.% VAT + 45 Euro shipping: 1523*1.19*1.175=2129 Euro

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK VAT is only for country residents to pay. If you order Nord from outside the UK you don't pay VAT, only your local customs.

bobopich

2x Apollon mono blocks with 19% VAT: 890*2*1.19=2118 Euro + shipping
2x Nord mono blocks (XLR only, incl.12V trigger) with 17.5% duty and 19.% VAT + 45 Euro shipping: 1523*1.19*1.175=2129 Euro
You don’t have duty from UK only VAT

Tom22

AFAIK VAT is only for country residents to pay. If you order Nord from outside the UK you don't pay VAT, only your local customs.
In EU countries you pay your local VAT, so 19 % on top for Germany. Deutsche Post charges a small fee for the VAT collection on top. No further customs duties afaik.
The USD/EUR rate seems currently more attractive though, so I even had a look at Buckeye...

soerenssen

In EU countries you pay your local VAT, so 19 % on top for Germany. Deutsche Post charges a small fee for the VAT collection on top. No further customs duties afaik.
The USD/EUR rate seems currently more attractive though, so I even had a look at Buckeye...
The Buckeye mono block costs 684 Euro but ETA is end of September. And you have to send it back to the US it it has a problem (under warranty). What about custom fees from the US?

Nord updated calculation (XLR only, incl. 12V trigger, basic case): 757 + 19% VAT + 45 shipping = 945 Euro

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Buckeye mono block costs 684 Euro but ETA is end of September. And you have to send it back to the US it it has a problem (under warranty). What about custom fees from the US?

Nord updated calculation (XLR only, incl. 12V trigger, basic case): 757 + 19% VAT + 45 shipping = 945 Euro
Customs fees are charged by the country you import to (your own country) not by the exporting country.

soerenssen

You don’t have duty from UK only VAT

Around 2120 Euro incl. shipping and VAT from the UK for the 3-channel version is a good deal.
But, first I'd like to see what is inside and on the website I don't see any pictures about it. Also, I would need around 2-2.5m long speaker cables instead of 1m (compared to the monoblock-based setup). And if one of the amps is kaputt, I can still have proper stereo with the other two.

Tom22

@soerenssen you are right, a return is obviously more expensive so you would have to be pretty sure about that.

There is only 19 % VAT if you import it to Germany. I will probably not order in the US but I just wanted to point out that it can be an option. 100 USD for intl. shipping seems not too much.

grobalt

wow , this is totally wrong. everyone has to pay the local VAT then importing from outside EU / other region and some products have custom fees additional. For example, Germany 19%, Norway 25%, Swiss 7.7% on top etc.
therefore undervaluing on purpose is highly illegal.

Reactions: ENG

bobopich

Around 2120 Euro incl. shipping and VAT from the UK for the 3-channel version is a good deal.
But, first I'd like to see what is inside and on the website I don't see any pictures about it. Also, I would need around 2-2.5m long speaker cables instead of 1m (compared to the monoblock-based setup). And if one of the amps is kaputt, I can still have proper stereo with the other two.
Yes the same calcs for me except my VAT is 20% small difference but yet the best price for 3 mono channels, as per Nord specs this should be inside : https://nordacoustics.co.uk/product/nord-one-ncx5003ch-3-channel-power-amplifier/

Attachments

• IMG_9851.png
    IMG_9851.png
    538 KB · Views: 36

soerenssen

wow , this is totally wrong. everyone has to pay the local VAT then importing from outside EU / other region and some products have custom fees additional. For example, Germany 19%, Norway 25%, Swiss 7.7% on top etc.
therefore undervaluing on purpose is highly illegal.
So, 19% VAT + 19% custom fees? I found 17.5% custom fees on zoll.de btw.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
To get the warmth he means H2 must go to the -60dbr realm or higher.
Much more, and even then it won't sound "warm," it will sound "blurry." The inevitable high intermod will take away transparency. "Warmth" is achieved with a touch of EQ; tilt controls are great for that.

grobalt

19% VAT
Amplifier are Taric Code 8518
which is 0% for customs

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For audio gear? In UK, all audio kit I have found listed is zero rated for customs duty. (rate of duty paid is normally different depending on the classification of the goods being imported)

Redwine

Much more, and even then it won't sound "warm," it will sound "blurry." The inevitable high intermod will take away transparency. "Warmth" is achieved with a touch of EQ; tilt controls are great for that.
Could you give an example on this, am using Roon with this function in DSP.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Could you give an example on this, am using Roon with this function in DSP.
Better yet, get @pkane ’s software which adds harmonics at a selected level and distribution and hear it for yourself.

soerenssen

For audio gear? In UK, all audio kit I have found listed is zero rated for customs duty. (rate of duty paid is normally different depending on the classification of the goods being imported)
Good to know, thanks! I never ordered audio gear from outside the EU, so no experience. But nevertheless good to know that I wouldn't have any unpleasant surprises.

Top Bottom